HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 1:33 PM
Cat Enthusiast

It's certainly busy as it is.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 2:55 PM
Burming Hammer

yeah, I've enjoyed seeing an uptick in activity along 20th street the past couple of years. really wish that car dealership wasn't right there next to publix.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
yeah, I've enjoyed seeing an uptick in activity along 20th street the past couple of years. really wish that car dealership wasn't right there next to publix.
I don't think they will be going anywhere soon, I am sure their business is great in that location, and probably will get even better.
Now if we can get those people on 10th avenue and 20th street south to get started with that high rise, that will kick 5pts into an even higher gear.
Also Birmingham Business Journal has an article behind their pay wall regarding a parking upgrade to the deck at Pickwick at 5pts.

Last edited by Bamablazer; Aug 9, 2018 at 7:08 PM.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 8:46 PM
The Salty Ham

Quote:
You mean Adamson Ford? Yeah, no... they got incentives to stay and renovate that building in lieu of leaving downtown. I'm guessing it would take a big check from UAB to get them out of there.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2018, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
You mean Adamson Ford? Yeah, no... they got incentives to stay and renovate that building in lieu of leaving downtown. I'm guessing it would take a big check from UAB to get them out of there.
Yes a very big check, and buying a few cars a year for the next 100 years.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2018, 2:05 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamablazer View Post
I don't think they will be going anywhere soon, I am sure their business is great in that location, and probably will get even better.
Now if we can get those people on 10th avenue and 20th street south to get started with that high rise, that will kick 5pts into an even higher gear.
Also Birmingham Business Journal has an article behind their pay wall regarding a parking upgrade to the deck at Pickwick at 5pts.
Nothing too special about the parking deck in that article. I used to use it all the time when I was a regular at World of Beer, still sad they're gone.

Anyway, not much is going to happen to it. They plan to automate it... big woop, but it will make it more convenient. They plan to clean it, which is actually a big thing... that deck is shady as hell, and nasty. They also plan to promote/advertise it more which will definitely help the neighborhood. I didn't even know about the deck until AFTER I became a regular at World of Beer. It became incredibly convenient once I know it was there.

One thing I wonder about is the top level of the deck... it's currently fenced off. I don't know if that is for structural or other reasons but it would definitely help business in the neighborhood if they were able to open up more of the deck to parking.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2018, 7:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tascalisa View Post
Nothing too special about the parking deck in that article. I used to use it all the time when I was a regular at World of Beer, still sad they're gone.

Anyway, not much is going to happen to it. They plan to automate it... big woop, but it will make it more convenient. They plan to clean it, which is actually a big thing... that deck is shady as hell, and nasty. They also plan to promote/advertise it more which will definitely help the neighborhood. I didn't even know about the deck until AFTER I became a regular at World of Beer. It became incredibly convenient once I know it was there.

One thing I wonder about is the top level of the deck... it's currently fenced off. I don't know if that is for structural or other reasons but it would definitely help business in the neighborhood if they were able to open up more of the deck to parking.
Thank you for that update. I am starting to wonder about the BBJ when they hide articles behind the pay wall, usually it is not a big deal. (bummer). They need to do more investigating into the big projects that stall, like the ones next door to that parking deck. Rumor has it the people building the apartment tower on the Break's property are buying the Building Trades Tower across the alley.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2018, 7:38 PM
Burming Hammer

Quote:
Rumor has it the people building the apartment tower on the Break's property are buying the Building Trades Tower across the alley.
anyone know a timeline for that project at The Break?

Old Posted Aug 11, 2018, 8:32 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Thank you for that update. I am starting to wonder about the BBJ when they hide articles behind the pay wall, usually it is not a big deal. (bummer). They need to do more investigating into the big projects that stall, like the ones next door to that parking deck. Rumor has it the people building the apartment tower on the Break's property are buying the Building Trades Tower across the alley.
That's definitely interesting.... that place has been vacant since the fire. Would definitely be a great addition to the proposed tower. Though, I feel bad for the elderly that were displaced by that event.

I remember, back when I was still a WOB regular, the before and after of the fire at Trades Towers... the folks that lived there before seemed to have a nice life and from my perspective, were pretty happy with their situation. It's sad to hear that, that building may not be used in the future for the same use as it was before.

But... there isn't much I can do about it, I guess. I guess I'll just wait to see what is proposed... if ever. Though, it's not like my opinion would be considered, since I don't live in the neighborhood.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2018, 9:41 PM

Quote:
They did all the survey work back around Christmas/New Year's week 2016, They announced construction was to start December 2017 or January 2018. Not quite a year yet. Sofar The Break has not started packing up getting ready to close.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 7:26 PM

New updates on downtown stadium at the BJCC: https://www.al.com/news/birmingham/i..._birmingh.html

"All these other cities are getting buildings taller than 15 stories, and all I'm getting is a spiral beltway!" - Birmingham

Old Posted Sep 3, 2018, 1:49 PM

Quote:
some progress pics of various projects. i noticed there are at least 3 tower cranes up around the city right now.

Children's Hospital Parking Deck / Office Building (is there another name for this project?):

UAB College of Arts and Sciences:

UAB School of Nursing:

Vesta (terrible pic, sorry...)
Vesta is topping out this week and they have started on the apartments and parking garage out back.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 12:28 AM

https://alabamanewscenter.com/2018/0...work-complete/
Apparently work has been on-going on to stabilize the Powell Avenue Steam Plant in spite of news saying it was dead in the water. (not officially declared dead but rumored to be dead). So now we wait to see what Alabama Power's plans will be for this awesome place.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 12:01 AM

Quote:
I walked by The Break this weekend and noticed some new but small markings. One looked like they surveyed and marked the property line with at least 3 bright red circles with what looked like nails in the center, the others were bright yellow lines in back of the building leading from the gas meter to the street and a few straight lines with diamonds between them. So maybe by the end of the year they will break ground and get started.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 12:04 AM

Quote:
I walked by this site today at lunch time, they were doing the pile driving thing and there were a lot of metal rods for columns sticking up from the ground.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 10:21 PM
The Salty Ham

https://www.bizjournals.com/birmingh...prominent.html

The city is bidding for two Federal HQs from within the US Dept of Agriculture worth about 600 jobs altogether and wants to put them in the old Liberty National building.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 1:20 AM

Quote:
https://www.bizjournals.com/birmingh...prominent.html

The city is bidding for two Federal HQs from within the US Dept of Agriculture worth about 600 jobs altogether and wants to put them in the old Liberty National building.
They have been working in the building for a few months now, removing asbestos and other debris getting it ready for something. It is a great location, right in the middle of a great location.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 10:20 AM
The Salty Ham

Carrington, IIRC, hinted at two projects he thought we (Jeff Co.) would get. One worth 600 jobs and another worth 1000. He felt confident the 600 job deal was in the bag, and said we were among the finalists for the 1000 job one. Im guessing this one was the one he was referring to. Hope it works out.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Carrington, IIRC, hinted at two projects he thought we (Jeff Co.) would get. One worth 600 jobs and another worth 1000. He felt confident the 600 job deal was in the bag, and said we were among the finalists for the 1000 job one. Im guessing this one was the one he was referring to. Hope it works out.
Wow. Outstanding!!!!

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 3:58 AM

https://www.bizjournals.com/birmingh...ations-in.html

Enterprise parent company, Enterprise Holdings, are relocating it south central u.s. headquarter office to legacy office plaza off valleydale road....rumored to be close to 1,000 jobs

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast