HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 4:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phone View Post
Would be nice to have a clear picture of where the new campus will be, other than "near Innovation Place".
It's going to be built on Innovation Place grounds along Preston Ave. The concepts are very clear about where the buildings are going and what programs are intended for them. There is a caption at the bottom of each image.

https://www.timetorise.ca/

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 9:38 AM

Not too bad. I'd like to see more student housing towers, and parking hopefully won't be flat like at the UofS, but a multi-level parkade to save space and cold walks. And does it say how the buildings will be linked? I don't see any above ground walkways. Are they linked underground? They must be taking winter into consideration, no? Actually, I do see a link between the student bldg and the brown brick one with the glass tower. That's a start!

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 3:59 PM
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnybaconbits View Post
It's going to be built on Innovation Place grounds along Preston Ave. The concepts are very clear about where the buildings are going and what programs are intended for them. There is a caption at the bottom of each image.
Fair enough, and I did see the captions, but my brain would process it a lot better with a simple map rather than having to piece to together. I still think that the website is woefully lacking in meaningful information.

It will be nice to have some more interaction along that stretch of Preston, especially given its location along the BRT corridor.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 4:27 PM

The improvement to Preston's curb appeal on this stretch is great.

I think I'll always be torn about this. The new campus will be a great boost to education, economic development, and innovation for Saskatoon. But it feels like a real "city-building" opportunity has been lost that it's not going where there can be some larger spinoff benefits for the city, such as the North Downtown.

At least it will be on the BRT.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 4:52 PM

Connectivity of the buildings is a very valid point! It is my understanding these are conceptual drawings, so as progress advances I DO hope that some kind of linkage between buildings is considered!

Is there any student housing included in this so far??

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 8:05 PM

Agreed. No arena for North Downtown and now SaskPoly is moving out... this is not city-building at all. The location is just pulling people from downtown to this area with more housing to the east soon to follow I am sure. Why further degrade the core with these types of ideas? They should at least have a parallel plan for reuse for the current location as part of this move. Would that not be prudent or is thinking ahead too much effort?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
The improvement to Preston's curb appeal on this stretch is great.

I think I'll always be torn about this. The new campus will be a great boost to education, economic development, and innovation for Saskatoon. But it feels like a real "city-building" opportunity has been lost that it's not going where there can be some larger spinoff benefits for the city, such as the North Downtown.

At least it will be on the BRT.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 1:32 AM

Sask Polytech move

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overklll View Post
Agreed. No arena for North Downtown and now SaskPoly is moving out... this is not city-building at all. The location is just pulling people from downtown to this area with more housing to the east soon to follow I am sure. Why further degrade the core with these types of ideas? They should at least have a parallel plan for reuse for the current location as part of this move. Would that not be prudent or is thinking ahead too much effort?
The area around 33rd and Idywyld will be devastated. Sask Polytech not only occupies the main campus building but several other buildings north of 33rd. I assume all these buildings will be vacated and the programs moved. In addition Saskenergy is moving to 71st street presumably leaving a huge parcel of land vacant from 34th to 36th and from Ontario Ave to Quebec Ave.

Finally throw in all the students who live in the 33rd area who will be moving out of the area to the east side, competing with UofS students for housing. Where are the plans for student housing.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 5:47 AM
Peddling to progress

Maybe this development (and the planned development of some of the University's agricultural land) will speed up the timeline for building a bridge at 33rd Street. It's 3 kilometres as the crow flies from the current Polytechnic campus to Preston, so it would be pretty manageable for someone to live close to the current campus and just bike over the railway bridge to the new campus. But add a traffic bridge and run a local bus straight down 33rd that could terminate at a new "north campus" bus exchange, and suddenly every neighbourhood along 33rd at least to Circle Drive becomes easily accessible to students looking for affordable housing.

At the very least I think there should be a dedicated bike/pedestrian bridge between the College Drive bridge and the planned 33rd Street Bridge - maybe from the foot of Queen Street to Campus Drive close to the Education Building?

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 12:00 PM

Now could you imagine these buildings here, to the right of the police station? Definitely a missed opportunity:
https://www.dreamstime.com/downtown-...image262054804

The problem is alway looking for the easiest solution by city 'workers'. If something is going to take overtime or concessions or intense debating for a better vision of the future, that's not usually going to happen. And raising taxes can't always be the go to. Unless it goes to a utilitarian road or bridge, there will be a citizen's revolt. Most hated the idea of the Remai Museum. Most hate the new library. ETC. Driving is what it's all about. That's been the vision for Saskatoon for 50 years, unfortunately, and killed downtown. But, it is convenient to drive door to door in the cold. Our downtown is better than some, so I guess folks are proud enough.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 4:41 PM

I think the existing Polytech campus would make an excellent Social Service Hub. I know this will be controversial, as my thinking is to centralize ALL services, but I still wish someone would look at the feasibility.

In my mind, because of the existing structure/features and amenities...I see no reason that the following services could not be provided:

- addiction services and beds
- wellness centre that includes med clinic and pharmacy
- social service office with supports and staff
- social/affordable housing office
- skills training (to integrate back into work force)
- recreation opportunities and rehabilitation programs
- shelter services
- indigenous outreach services and cultural programs

These are just a few off the top of my head. I think having agencies and orgs centralized and working in a coordinated effort is far more efficient then spreading out services all over that may be very difficult for clients to access and navigate.

I have shared this idea with a number of my friends and there seems to be support for this concept. It would take an investment, and a shift in thinking for some orgs and political parties....but maybe this has merit??

Last edited by prairieguy; Apr 18, 2024 at 5:03 PM.

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:27 PM

I don't think having the buildings be interconnected is too big of a deal for the campus, although it would be nice of course. Most programs are pretty isolated now so they'd most likely stay in the same building for their courses, outside of going to the cafeteria or the like if food services weren't in each building. I know in my time there all my classes were contained on the same part of a floor (it's been awhile though... ).

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan