HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Oct 28, 2010, 5:41 PM

Your Own Personal Work

It's really fun (and sometimes not so fun) to hear the various perspectives of people around the forum, but it might help to understand people more if we see the sort of design work that they actually do.

That said, I'll be the first to throw mine out there! A lot of you will probably hate it, because I design traditional architecture and urbanism, but whatever

Here you go: samlimaarchitecture.blogspot.com

Anyone else have blogs, sites, or photos! Share them here!

Old Posted Oct 28, 2010, 6:17 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samthelima View Post
It's really fun (and sometimes not so fun) to hear the various perspectives of people around the forum, but it might help to understand people more if we see the sort of design work that they actually do.

That said, I'll be the first to throw mine out there! A lot of you will probably hate it, because I design traditional architecture and urbanism, but whatever

I'm all for the traditional stuff so thanks for sharing! =)
Unfortunately I'm in IT and not directly involved with the stuff on this site. Just an interest.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Oct 28, 2010, 7:02 PM
Never Dell

Nice work Santhelima! We need more of you.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2010, 8:07 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Very nice. It was clear you have ties to Notre Dame even before reading the intro.

I'm a transportation planner by day. Most of my job involves deciding what to build and then trying to find money to build it, and it is always done as part of a group. I don't sit at a desk drawing plans; I sit in meetings making decisions about what plans should say. Here are a couple of things I've worked on recently (all links are pdfs):

Grant application for a large expansion of Washington's bikesharing program

I-66 Transit/TDM Study

Then of course there's my personal blog, BeyondDC, which is about urbanism in general. As an extension of BeyondDC I write for the Washington Post and Greater Greater Washington.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2010, 10:57 PM

Cirrus, I've definitely seen BeyondDC before (love DC), and there's always something interesting to read there. Actually, only two of the projects on my site are from my time at Notre Dame (where I am studying primarily urban design). Most of them are from my time at Judson University. I haven't posted any built projects, because they belong to firms that I have worked for.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2010, 10:59 PM

Quote:

Those are great!

I'd like to post more of the work I do unfortunately much of it is confidential as of right now. I'd have to clear the designs and renderings with my company for a public posting

Old Posted Oct 29, 2010, 11:51 AM
BANNED

Of course it is not my preference style, but not laugh at all. When decent, i think all is valid. I tend to like those modernist futurism structural simple well thought projects and not rubbish Rococcos or old colonial styles, but we know those cost more, so sometimes a valid not so expensive old-school goes. I don't like much old and decandent things, but when the construction is new and very good mantained, then does not matter much in which style it is. Those are good for libraries, small public buildings, big houses, all valid. I think you make the diagrams in gauche very nice. You can even upload them as diagrams with your talent. I am, unfortunate, not in any artist activity today, but if I had the chance to do like yours, would not think twice, would even make me pleasure. Be happy you have this lovely work.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2010, 10:03 PM
them bones

I've always hesitated to show any of my work on the forum because generally I design very high end large houses for very wealthy people. Most are traditional, a few contemporaries. Most large single family homes are derided on this forum as wasteful and stupid because they aren't 'in the city' (or simply characterized as McMansions).

Nonetheless, maybe I should dig up some photos and renderings.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2010, 10:52 PM

Edit.........

Old Posted Oct 30, 2010, 10:23 PM
BANNED

@ Plinko, for sure most here in this forum never had an opportunity to live close in the houses you draw, so show us, because I am sure people would continue to be jealous. Most of time critics come when is an inside passive answer of not can affording some day, if had the chance, droping immediately the No, without even immagining the other reasons' side. So you do what your clients ask to be done, then ok, decent big to be lived. Better than the poors' quality, for sure. I am the one who can't afford your houses, but give everytime a .

Old Posted Oct 31, 2010, 4:17 PM

I'm pretty sure no one here is jealous of people living in McMansions.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2010, 8:13 PM
Ω

Your paintings are really great. You're right, not my particular style but they still look like really nice buildings

Old Posted Oct 31, 2010, 9:00 PM
them bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by uaarkson View Post
I'm pretty sure no one here is jealous of people living in McMansions.
Thank you for exactly demonstrating my point.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:

I have to say i really like most of your work. I am more of a modernist and cityplaner, but i like traditional works like yours. Thats the only way historistic buildings should be build. I hate those semimodernist buildings with pseudohistoric elements spreading in so many cities around the world.

Heres a thread with some of my works...

Hope you like!

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=181590

Old Posted Nov 2, 2010, 4:33 PM
cities|transit|croissants

If you're designing each one individually then they're not McMansions; they're regular mansions.

And I don't want to live in Samthelima's habitat for humanity house either, but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate it as architecture.

If you're proud of your work, post it.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2010, 7:15 PM
them bones

These are some photos of one of my recently completed designs in Montecito, CA. The house is 5 bedrooms + pool cabana on an acre of land. 100% solar electric, 100% solar hot water (including pool heating), 100% rainwater capture. Would have qualified for LEED silver, but the client wasn't interested in the cost of the paperwork.

I was generally pleased with the end product of this design. There are a few things I might have done differently.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2010, 7:25 PM
Ex Houstonian

As far as McMansions go, that is quite good. The interior is stunning and the outside pool building is very well designed.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2010, 7:29 PM
them bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolitherland View Post
As far as McMansions go, that is quite good. The interior is stunning and the outside pool building is very well designed.
Please explain exactly how this is a 'McMansion'?

Old Posted Nov 2, 2010, 7:34 PM
All aboard the Failboat

that's no mcmansion, that's a genuine estate, it's not tacky, or ovedone, it's simple and elegant and is low impact, also a Mcmansion is meant to be seen, this one looks to be nestled in with the surrounding countryside, probably at the end of a driveway and behind a gate

Edit: I also like the slight art deco influence on the doors and windows, especially in the media room

Old Posted Nov 2, 2010, 8:09 PM
Ex Houstonian

Sorry, its not a McMansion.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture