HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Mar 9, 2009, 9:57 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Wired just did an article on this subject: Biggest Little Cities: Models for Urban Planning. Lots of pictures at that link.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Mar 12, 2009, 1:45 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Shanghai model is ammmmmmmmmmmaaaaaaaaazing. Havana model sucks.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2009, 2:38 PM
Meh

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Mar 14, 2009, 3:46 PM

Houston...in 1950!

From DSCobb on FlickR

Old Posted Mar 14, 2009, 4:17 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Good stuff guys, thanks. And keep 'em coming.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Mar 15, 2009, 1:53 AM
Meh

I tried finding one for Austin, but the only one I found was my own Lego model of it. lol You can see the pictures of it in my sig-line. I've updated it since those pictures were taken and added more detail to some of the buildings. Still lots of work to do though.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Mar 15, 2009, 6:53 AM

This really makes me want to crank on the laser cutter and just go crazy building a city model.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2009, 11:59 PM
New Yorker for life

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...the-mini-city/

You, Too, Can Own a Piece of the (Mini) City

The Queens Museum of Art has launched its Adopt-A-Building for its panorama, a well-known destination for New York’s schoolchildren. David Strauss, a museum spokesman, is in the background.

By Anne Barnard
March 16, 2009

When even the Metropolitan Museum of Art is laying off staff, what do you do if your financial base is less Fifth Avenue than Queens Boulevard? The Queens Museum of Art has come up with a creative way of weathering the downturn and its attendant drop in donations to cultural institutions: Capitalizing on a unique piece of New York real estate.

The museum’s most famous asset is its 9,335-square-foot scale model of New York City, originally built for the 1964 World’s Fair. The Panorama of the City of New York has 895,000 structures, replicating every street, bridge and skyscraper in the five boroughs.

It is the physical and sentimental centerpiece of the museum, located on the old fairgrounds in Flushing Meadows-Corona Park, next to the Unisphere, the enormous stainless-steel globe that was also built for the fair and has become an unofficial symbol of Queens.

Now, the museum is beginning an “Adopt-a-Building” program.

Starting Monday, you can “own” an apartment in the tiny world of the model for $50. A single-family house will cost $250.

And for $10,000, developers can have their brand-new glass-tower condo buildings added to the panorama — no matter how many units are languishing on the market. “Buyers” will even be awarded their own personal deeds.

Up to now, the panorama has represented a snapshot of New York, frozen in time. In 1992, workers updated 60,000 structures to reflect the city’s constant churn of construction and demolition, but it has been untouched since then.

In the miniature world, the Trade Center still stands, for instance, and the luxury towers now lining the Long Island City and Williamsburg waterfronts are nowhere to be seen.

Now, the panorama will evolve gradually along with the city — at least, for those who pay.

The first taker was the New York Mets. In a ceremony Monday morning, Claudia Ma, a City College architecture student, walked onto the panorama and, like a giant monster in a Japanese disaster film — but with more finesse — pulled off the model of Shea Stadium from its foundations. She fastened the new Citi Field into place, mirroring the real-life replacement under way not far from the museum. (Those nostalgic for the old Shea can now visit the model in the museum’s World’s Fair exhibit.)

In the audience was Queens Borough President Helen Marshall, who donated $250 to adopt her house in East Elmhurst.

The “Adopt-a-Building” will raise funds dedicated to maintaining the panorama and the educational programs built around it, including popular tours for schoolchildren. The models are to be built by City College architecture students.

City Room was intrigued by the possibilities, which immediately raised a number of questions both selfish and civic-minded.

First of all, what if you, like City Room, have the disappointing experience of locating your own corner but finding that your building — a 12-story prewar apartment house with distinctive yellow brick and lion’s-head cornices — is represented by a generic five-story tenement? (While viewers can delight in spotting exact details from the green roof of the Carlyle Hotel to the steel-ribbed Unisphere, not every structure merits an exact replica.)

“We’d be happy to update it if your co-op board would like to get together and pool your money,” offered David Strauss, the museum’s director for external relations.

But what if we’re a rent-stabilized building?

“I’d have to boil down the price,” Mr. Strauss said. But he warned jocularly that like stabilized rents, the price might rise by a fixed percentage each year.

Seriously, though, “There is always room for negotiation when working with the general public,” he said. “Like in the real estate market.”

O.K., now a question of more general importance for the urban psyche: If the museum starts updating post-2001 commercial projects like “The Edge” in Williamsburg, won’t it be anachronistic to leave the Twin Towers standing?

The museum won’t put a hole at ground zero, Mr. Strauss said. Instead, once the new skyscrapers planned for the site are in place, a model of them will replace the model of the towers.

“That’s something that obviously we’d like the developer to take care of,” Mr. Strauss added, hinting at the $10,000 donation. “But we’d probably do it anyway, since it’s such an important structure to the city.”

Unless a tribe of enormous aliens comes up with an Adopt-a-Building program for the real city to fund the completion of cash-challenged projects, that update may have to wait awhile.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2009, 12:16 AM
$$Money on my Mind$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by ()_T View Post
Houston...in 1950!

From DSCobb on FlickR
Wow Houston looked good then

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 9:54 PM

New Orleans... 1913. It's a huge model, so it was tough to take pictures of.

For politics, check out my blog Texas Leftist

Old Posted Mar 26, 2009, 10:39 PM
Reach for the Clouds

Fascinating thread Tom. I don't visit this section of the forum very often, but from now on I'll have to stop by more frequently!

Old Posted Apr 1, 2009, 10:15 AM
Old Fart Forumer

^ Thanks Mark.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2009, 5:49 PM
Monomania w/ Skyscrapers

Wow!

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 12:32 PM
Member of SSP since 1997

Here are a few of Cleveland, from the "2000 Plan" developed in the 1980s. Some of the towers were built, others - not so much (or at least, not in the form shown here)

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 2:01 PM
Desert Dweller

Wow, Cleveland's skyline would have rocked! God it hurts not seeing the AmeriTrust Building not being built.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 3:57 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Holy smokes MayDay, that would really be one impressive skyline (and it's impressive right now for that matter). Get those guys on the stick and get some of those rascals built.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2009, 3:02 PM

^^^I loved looking at that Cleveland model.
Thanks for posting MayDay.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2009, 10:36 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

absolutely fascinating thread! all these models should be in a central museum or exhibition somewhere/sometime. like you ExIthacan, i'm truly mesmerized by these models.

the ones of Shanghai and New York are very elaborate! what is the scale on them?

i'd love to see models of Canadian cities (past, present, or future) if anyone knows of any!

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2009, 11:08 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

A model of downtown Detroit inside the lobby of the RenCen:

hellek

Shancat

Old Posted Apr 5, 2009, 3:36 PM
Old Fart Forumer

^ Nice addition LMich. I'm guessing most larger cities would have some kind of model, either of the present downtown or what the planned downtown would look like.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos