HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Aug 3, 2014, 3:29 PM
not a cynic

This discussion should include mention of how ITD is mandated to parcel out tax revenue. There are 6 highway districts at the state level. I believe those 6 districts must receive equal funding regardless of need. Now, there is some good in this scheme, hwy 95 up to north Idaho has improved much since I was a college student up in a certain northern college.

So, after all, we are a state, a large state. Rehashing distribution of tax revenue would probably upset all sides of the political spectrum.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2014, 6:54 PM
Dare Mighty Things

And just to be clear, I have nothing against people from rural Idaho. I think I understand to an extent why many of them vote the way they do--they don't want people from small towns to be taken advantage of by people in larger towns on the other side of the county. Many representatives come from smaller towns and cities, and I think many of them relate to that issue.

I just wish they'd see the damage they inflict not just to Boise, but in many cities and towns across Idaho and their ability to govern effectively. The idea that "Imperial Idaho" has to make these laws that ban cities from being able to govern and plan effectively and doing it under the guise of "it's for your own good" goes wildly against the principals of conservatism and, as an aside, makes any argument against removing Federal Gov't control over Idaho lands seem incredibly hypocritical.

Last edited by BoiseAirport; Aug 4, 2014 at 3:56 AM. Reason: Fixed typo

Old Posted Aug 3, 2014, 10:17 PM
Always running Late

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseAirport View Post
And just to be clear, I have nothing against people from rural Idaho. I think I understand to an extent why many of them vote the way they do--they don't want people from small towns to be taken advantage of by people in larger towns on the other side of the county. Many representatives come from smaller towns and cities, and I think many of them relate to that issue.

I just wish they'd see the damage they inflict not just to Boise, but in many cities and towns across Idaho and their ability to govern effectively. The idea that "Imperial Idaho" has to make these laws that ban cities from being able to govern and plan effectively and doing it under the guise of "it's for our own good" goes wildly against the principals of conservatism and, as an aside, makes any argument against removing Federal Gov't control over Idaho lands seem incredibly hypocritical.
amen

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 11:50 AM

For as many problems as ACHD has had lately, I'm surprised they even bothered making a budget...

Quote:
BOISE

• Bogus Basin Road: Resurface and add guardrails, turnouts and signage from Milepost 3 to 9. $2.8 million.

• Downtown Boise: Resurface and convert some streets from one-way to two-way and add bicycle lanes and amenities. $2.7 million.

• Lake Hazel extension: Build new two-lane road from South Solar Way to Cole Road. $650,000.

• Owyhee Street, Malad Street to Overland Road: Replace and rehab old sidewalks and fill gaps to improve safety for Whitney Elementary and South Junior High students. $442,000.

• Shamrock Bikeway: From De Meyer Street to Executive Drive, build 10-foot-wide path, pedestrian crossing at Fairview and Shamrock and add sign. $255,000.

Read more here: http://www.idahostatesman.com/2014/0...#storylink=cpy

Old Posted Aug 17, 2014, 7:24 AM
Always running Late

http://www.boiseweekly.com/CityDesk/...own-circulator

interesting article.. they want people to have their say… I think any kind of downtown rail circulator without connection to BSU would be a waste of resources… the city needs to connect the campus to downtown in any way it can… plus if it was a free fare zone it would get used a TON… perhaps some sort of partnership with the University for funding could come of things… but all in all we just need local option tax… having one freeway in the valley has become not enough for peak times to move large volumes of people across the valley…every day I see it getting worse and worse..and a parking lot backing all the way almost to downtown... I think after a downtown circulator the next step would be to get a nice commuter rail line going and give commuters on I-84 an option to avoid sitting in traffic.. it's either commuter rail or another east west freeway… one or the other…we'll need it by the time it's built and ready to go...

Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 4:37 PM

More info regarding further expansion is at the link.

http://www.boiseweekly.com/boise/gro...nt?oid=3249959

Growing the Greenbelt
Alternate routes

Quote:
Greenbelt users will need to find a new route from the Fairview Avenue underpass to Riverside Park during the next two months.

The stretch of Greenbelt is closed to remove and replace the asphalt with a more durable and smooth concrete surface. Work will take place on the north side of the river next to the firefighter memorial, but also includes a new plan to separate bike and foot traffic at the trestle bridge further east.

http://www.boiseweekly.com/imager/gr...enbeltMap1.jpg

http://www.boiseweekly.com/imager/gr...enbeltMap2.jpg

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 2:21 PM

http://www.ktvb.com/story/money/2014...ton/14340407/#

United offers non-stop from Boise to Houston

Quote:
BOISE -- Travelers have a new flight option at the Boise Airport.

United Airlines now offers non-stop service to Houston, Texas.

Boise Airport Director Rebecca Hupp says there's demand for business travel to the Lone Star State.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 3:42 PM

BoiseAirport, do you have any "inside" details?

http://www.boiseweekly.com/CityDesk/...rport-facility

It's Official: SkyWest to Build $20 Million Boise Airport Facility

Posted By George Prentice on Wed, Sep 3, 2014 at 9:09 AM

Quote:
City of Boise and state of Idaho officials confirmed late Tuesday what Boise Weekly readers first got wind of on Aug. 24: SkyWest is poised to build a new Boise Airport facility on a 45-acre undeveloped parcel of land.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 4:14 PM
Dare Mighty Things

I was really pleased to see this idea grow and develop. I've said it on SSP for a long time, I believe there's a lot of untapped potential in the Boise Airport as a larger regional center for maintenance, aircraft service and manufacturing--all of which would lead to scores of high paying jobs in the area. I think now we finally have an airport administration that sees this potential, and it's really great to see their hard work met with success.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 7:40 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Humpty Dumpty is still on the wall.
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 7:27 PM

The SkyWest hangar is great news for BOI, but don't be fooled into believing it had more to do with the current vs previous Airport Administration and less to do with a major tax break thanks to the State and the fact that BOI is a geographically good location to base the facility.

I'm told there had been inquiries by SkyWest about available facilities under previous Airport Administration, but there were no vacant hangars at that time. And, back then, SkyWest wasn't interested in constructing its own facility. Things change, and it is going to be a great new anchor tenant facility @ BOI.

Look forward to seeing it rise next year. I'm sure excitement is running high for those involved in landing the facility. Hats off to the State Legislature for recoginzing the significant economic contribution its positive action is now making possible! Hopefully this is just the beginning.

BOIguy

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 4:07 AM

Wonderful news! I love how BOI is growing!

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 8:04 AM
Honored Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseAirport View Post
I was really pleased to see this idea grow and develop. I've said it on SSP for a long time, I believe there's a lot of untapped potential in the Boise Airport as a larger regional center for maintenance, aircraft service and manufacturing--all of which would lead to scores of high paying jobs in the area. I think now we finally have an airport administration that sees this potential, and it's really great to see their hard work met with success.

I was glad to see this. I added in the Idaho Falls forum how Gem Airlines, a charter airline, will start service 10/01 between IDA and BOI twice daily. It is starting with just Wed. and Thursday service to determine usage.

I'm glad Gem Airlines stepped up to help, but it seemed like IFRA was still working with another airline to get daily jet service between Idaho's two largest airports.

Certainly, the facility in Boise helps Boise in many ways. But I've seen a lot of "maintenance centers" grow allowing additional cities for the airline. I think that could easily happen with the new facility.

Congrats on having Boise selected as the location for the facility

Old Posted Sep 23, 2014, 9:21 PM

http://apps.itd.idaho.gov/apps/broad...e/default.html

Quote:
ITD is replacing the Broadway Bridge over the Boise River. The new bridge will include more lanes and improved access to the Greenbelt
WHAT'S NEW

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

YOU'RE INVITED!
Attend ITD's upcoming public open house to learn about the project and comment on preliminary design and construction plans. The open house will be held:

• Wednesday, Oct. 1
3 - 8 p.m.
Washington Group Plaza
720 Park Blvd., Boise

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post

http://www.boiseweekly.com/CityDesk/...-idaho-streets

New Bike Lanes And Boxes Make Debut on Capitol Blvd., Main And Idaho Streets

Posted by Harrison Berry on Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 10:53 AM

ACHD
The right way: A vehicle correctly stopped before a bike box.

ACHD
The wrong way: A vehicle incorrectly at rest in the middle of a bike box.

After all of the drama:
http://www.idahostatesman.com/2014/0...99/1687/&ihp=1

Consensus near for Boise bike lanes?
After a long dispute, the city and ACHD appear close to a deal for part of Downtown.

BOISE — The Ada County Highway District has the final say, but there's a good chance that Boise will have permanent bike lanes on Capitol Boulevard by November.

source: http://media.idahostatesman.com/smed...X9.AuSt.36.JPG

A cyclist uses the bike lane on Boise's North 8th Street after crossing West Idaho Street in November 2013

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 6:29 AM

City Council Encourages ACHD to Roll With Original Capitol Boulevard Bike Lane Plan

Quote:

The Boise City Council has rejected ACHD's latest revised plan for bike lanes on Capitol Boulevard at a work session the afternoon of Sept. 30.

A new proposal, put forth by ACHD engineers, would retain 11-foot automobile travel lanes down the length of Capitol Boulevard by reducing a 3.5-foot buffer lane between Valley Regional Transit busses and car traffic by two feet. In front of City Hall, a buffer between bike and VRT bus traffic would be reduced and the bus lane itself would be narrowed from 17 feet to 15 feet.

That didn't sit well with members of the City Council, who said that narrowing city streets organically reduced car speeds without resorting to writing speeders tickets, and that in other metropolitan areas, 10-foot car traffic lanes are the norm, not the exception.
click to enlarge Details of a bike lane proposal made by stakeholders to the Boise City Council and the ACHD.

"This is an area where we need to acknowledge that this is an urban area and not a suburban arterial," said City Council Member Elaine Clegg.
Boise Weekly Article: http://www.boiseweekly.com/CityDesk/...bike-lane-plan
-----------------------
I'm really getting tired of this piss fit between ACHD and our city. It makes me wonder why we haven't already just bought the roads within the city limits.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 8:38 PM

Boise Airport finally receives grant for flights to eastern U.S.

Boise Airport receives Federal grant for service to Atlanta or East coast:

http://idahobusinessreview.com/2014/...tlanta-flight/

http://www.ktvb.com/story/money/2014...anta/16603695/

Last edited by Basco; Oct 8, 2014 at 7:09 PM.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2014, 7:08 PM

Boise to Idaho Falls air service may not take off

Poor ticket sales may scrap direct air service via Gem Airlines from Boise to Idaho Falls even before it's maiden flight:

http://www.boiseweekly.com/CityDesk/...se-idaho-falls

Old Posted Oct 13, 2014, 6:57 PM

http://www.boiseweekly.com/boise/jum...nt?oid=3321829

Jumping the Curb
How sidewalk-riding cyclists are changing the Boise bike lane debate.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2014, 10:32 PM
not a cynic

Freshly re-striped 27th St, seven years in the making. It feels very much like 15th north of Fort.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West