HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicahSLC View Post
Looks like they are going to start working on the core of 111 pretty soon. It wont be long till we start seeing it rise.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2014, 1:33 AM

My sons and I were chilling on the Regent Street parking garage for about half an hour today; got to see aaaall the cranes and everything going on. It was pretty sweet.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2014, 8:40 PM

That's awesome! Your turning your kids into architecture and city geeks!

Old Posted Oct 18, 2014, 11:21 PM

UPAC Update 10/18/2014

Old Posted Oct 19, 2014, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
That's awesome! Your turning your kids into architecture and city geeks!
Yeah, we had the day off yesterday, and I gave them some choices of things to do, seeing a movie, etc....they said they wanted to "go downtown and look at buildings." So we did. Love those guys. I told them we'd do it again when steel was going up on UPAC/111. They're excited.

We've also gone on the tours of the Utah/Pantages Theater and some other things like that when the opportunity arises. Doing my best to raise informed and annoying citizens.

Last edited by jedikermit; Oct 19, 2014 at 12:28 AM. Reason: yup

Old Posted Oct 19, 2014, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedikermit View Post
Yeah, we had the day off yesterday, and I gave them some choices of things to do, seeing a movie, etc....they said they wanted to "go downtown and look at buildings." So we did. Love those guys. I told them we'd do it again when steel was going up on UPAC/111. They're excited.

We've also gone on the tours of the Utah/Pantages Theater and some other things like that when the opportunity arises. Doing my best to raise informed and annoying citizens.
That's how it starts.
Dad talks about it....has pictures...The Tribune talks about a new building.....then....they grow up like us.
It happened to me.
I loved going up to the Kennecott building where dad worked, mostly to be with dad, but downtown was so much cooler than our hood.
Is there a help group available?

Old Posted Oct 19, 2014, 7:59 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CofIKid View Post
Now picture this giant parking garage wall, that will be seen from the new plaza, covered with a vertical garden and/or giant murals/banners that promote the events occurring/upcoming at the Eccles theater. A giant picture of a witch, with the wall, and all of Regent St lit in green while wicked is running. A large mask on the wall, and a chandelier hanging above the plaza, the connector or Regent when Phantom of the Opera is in town, or the image of Cosette and the plaza and Regent being lit in Red and Black, along with some revolution era flags during the Les Miserable run. I think programming on the plaza will be the key to enlivening Regent St.

I imagine a large video screen showing clips from the actual performances the night before, mixed in with clips from upcoming shows at the Eccles theater as well as promoting the other performing arts venues, all with coordinating lighting. How about an occasional live performance during the day from one of the actors in the current production. This plaza, Regent St and the Main St connector have huge potential to really bring life to the middle of that block. Surround it with the right retail, maybe a food truck or cart or two and the Regent St Plaza could be a huge attraction during all hours of the day.

Just for good measure lets throw in a 20 story residential tower on top of Eat-a-Burger, to make sure there is a 24/7 population to frequent the plaza.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 4:23 PM
West bench livin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bflatflat9 View Post
This is it!

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bflatflat9 View Post
That's how it starts.
Dad talks about it....has pictures...The Tribune talks about a new building.....then....they grow up like us.
It happened to me.
I loved going up to the Kennecott building where dad worked, mostly to be with dad, but downtown was so much cooler than our hood.
My mom worked on the 26th floor of the Beneficial Life (now Key Bank) tower, and we'd visit her all the time. And look out the window and not talk to her or her co-workers.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedikermit View Post
My mom worked on the 26th floor of the Beneficial Life (now Key Bank) tower, and we'd visit her all the time. And look out the window and not talk to her or her co-workers.
Nicely done.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 8:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
Now picture this giant parking garage wall, that will be seen from the new plaza, covered with a vertical garden and/or giant murals/banners that promote the events occurring/upcoming at the Eccles theater. A giant picture of a witch, with the wall, and all of Regent St lit in green while wicked is running. A large mask on the wall, and a chandelier hanging above the plaza, the connector or Regent when Phantom of the Opera is in town, or the image of Cosette and the plaza and Regent being lit in Red and Black, along with some revolution era flags during the Les Miserable run. I think programming on the plaza will be the key to enlivening Regent St.

I imagine a large video screen showing clips from the actual performances the night before, mixed in with clips from upcoming shows at the Eccles theater as well as promoting the other performing arts venues, all with coordinating lighting. How about an occasional live performance during the day from one of the actors in the current production. This plaza, Regent St and the Main St connector have huge potential to really bring life to the middle of that block. Surround it with the right retail, maybe a food truck or cart or two and the Regent St Plaza could be a huge attraction during all hours of the day.

Just for good measure lets throw in a 20 story residential tower on top of Eat-a-Burger, to make sure there is a 24/7 population to frequent the plaza.
You're making me salivate.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
You're making me salivate.
Oh, it's doing a lot more for me than that.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post

Awesome ideas.
I walked past the site this morning on the way to a new part-time job.
Talked with a foreman briefly next to the Martine. I asked him had they poured foundation already, with rebar columns coming above ground, and he said yes, some of it. He seemed a little hesitant, so I'm not sure about that.
Anyway, my question is where is this "plaza" supposed to be, or is that just another way of saying Regent Street?
After talking with the foreman, I walked down Regent to Gallivan.
It seems more like an alley at this point, as half of the street is fenced off for the job. Maybe when they're done with it all, they'll have room for a "plaza".
Still seems like a mighty thin area for a plaza.
And Eat-a-burger is BEGGING for a 20 story residential tower. True hovel as is.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2014, 5:15 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

There will be a plaza next to that giant Walker Center Parking wall, adjacent to Regent St connecting to the mid-block Main St corridor. The Eccles Theater loading docks will be on the north side of the plaza, but will have garage doors, which will be closed once the trucks are in.

If I recall correctly from the models, the theater will go behind Neumont, but not completely. So you can see in the above images that the plaza will be a decent size, even if the theater extends to the southern edge of the Neumont building. At the very minimum the N/S width of the Regent St Plaza will include the Main St corridor, plus three more Main St buildings, and the E/W width will obviously be from the back of the Main St Buildings to Regent St. Measuring on Google Earth, it appears the plaza will be at least 100' x 100'

Yes the alley accessing the back of the Main St building will still be an alley but from the models, it will be incorporated into the overall design of the plaza.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2014, 8:31 PM

111 Core

The Core of 111 is above street level. The steel rebar structure can be seen as you drive by. I will try to get pictures ASAP

Old Posted Oct 25, 2014, 8:34 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CofIKid View Post
The Core of 111 is above street level. The steel rebar structure can be seen as you drive by. I will try to get pictures ASAP
Notice that also, but forgot to post. Thanks. This is the part of a skyscraper development when it starts to get good.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Oct 27, 2014, 2:29 AM
Exurb Enjoyer

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 3:22 PM

Rebar

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 5:58 PM

[IMG] by , on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG] by , on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 2:54 AM
Vote for me in 2019!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West