HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Oct 18, 2014, 10:41 AM

Same here, good to see the height and location next to Front Runner, but would have been a nice addition to Downtown. Maybe Sandy will be the next skyline hub after all.

Last edited by delts145; Oct 19, 2014 at 10:43 AM.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2014, 8:33 PM

As much as I like to see big development, this is not the kind of big development that I'ld like to see in the suburbs of Salt Lake City. Everybody complains or notices that SLC's downtown is small for its metro size. Well, this is the reason why! Suburban office park development, and continued residential development further and further out from the urban core. I keep seeing friends and family members buying houses out further and further out, ie. Payson suburbs, Saratoga, Tooele, and way west side like 8200 west. And, they all commute into the city. I have a hard time containing myself from lambasting them all on Facebook.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2014, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
As much as I like to see big development, this is not the kind of big development that I'ld like to see in the suburbs of Salt Lake City. Everybody complains or notices that SLC's downtown is small for its metro size. Well, this is the reason why! Suburban office park development, and continued residential development further and further out from the urban core. I keep seeing friends and family members buying houses out further and further out, ie. Payson suburbs, Saratoga, Tooele, and way west side like 8200 west. And, they all commute into the city. I have a hard time containing myself from lambasting them all on Facebook.
asies has the slcblog which promotes walkability, etc. You could throw an article their way via Facebook. Slay them all at once.
Not that the blog is overtly biased, but they could get the drift.
Then again, some folks just want to live in the boonies as long as gas isn't $5 bucks a gallon.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2014, 1:35 AM

"Along the I-15 corridor". Ha! It's right in the middle of the FrontRunner parking lot! You can hardly get more 'transit oriented' than that!
But now the human element: are these strictly office buildings, or are these designed for, say, ground-floor retail to make the place appealing for the transit users? I know there's already a hotel, an office building, and a restaurant nearby, but these new buildings are much more prominent.

As for the development being in the suburbs vs downtown, I doubt SLC is unique in this regard. Development will always spread out unless there is a significant reason for it to condense. In my opinion, SLC is not quite to the 'critical mass' required in order to have a self-sustaining downtown, but it is getting very close. The multiplicity of apartments going in close to down town is a very good sign.
And as long as the development happens along transit lines, it isn't really hurting downtown anyway. Transit stations are more or less 'extensions' of downtown areas.

Last edited by Hatman; Oct 19, 2014 at 2:04 AM.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2014, 5:00 AM

These type of buildings are in suburbia of every major US city. San Antonio is littered with them.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2014, 10:48 AM

Isn't this just the beginning of what will become a much more vertical core of the future? I mean, this interchange has been touted as a future major hub for decades now. I imagine there will be more towers, more density, and a remake of the South Towne Mall into something more of a large lifestyle center. Obviously, with that new tower announced over on the 1600 Interchange in Orem, and everything going on at Thanksgiving Point and many other interchanges throughout the metro, there is something totally sensical and very profitable in these type of major interchange cores. I'm glad to see that the market is dictating a need for height along the I-15 corridor. That's an indication of a certain maturity.

Another positive, I'm glad to see attractive new towers and office parks continuing to replace the old views of junk and junk/storage related garbage that use to dot the I-15 corridor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPdesign View Post

Last edited by delts145; Oct 19, 2014 at 11:05 AM.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2014, 7:42 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Station park needs to take note and stop calling itself Transit Oriented Development. Despite them being in the burbs they truly are Transit Oriented. Hey Farmington Station, see how passengers on Front Runner can walk straight to the building without crossing an enormous sea of parking? That's how you do it.

I imagine one of the buildings will have some sort of cafe/restaurant in it, but I assume it will only be open for breakfast and lunch. Without a significant amount of residential, any other type of retail will be pretty much impossible. I would hope that surrounding property owners would take note of the design, and place some additional office and residential across South Jordan Gateway to the west. Add a pedestrian bridge across the street, creating a promenade type of corridor extending from the Front Runner station.

This is very rough, but you get the idea, a direct pedestrian access across the road to serve other mixed use office and residential buildings, all between 10 and 15 stories. The green to the west connects to the Jordan River trail.

Last edited by Future Mayor; Oct 19, 2014 at 8:21 PM.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2014, 9:17 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
Station park needs to take note and stop calling itself Transit Oriented Development. Despite them being in the burbs they truly are Transit Oriented. Hey Farmington Station, see how passengers on Front Runner can walk straight to the building without crossing an enormous sea of parking? That's how you do it.

I imagine one of the buildings will have some sort of cafe/restaurant in it, but I assume it will only be open for breakfast and lunch. Without a significant amount of residential, any other type of retail will be pretty much impossible. I would hope that surrounding property owners would take note of the design, and place some additional office and residential across South Jordan Gateway to the west. Add a pedestrian bridge across the street, creating a promenade type of corridor extending from the Front Runner station.

This is very rough, but you get the idea, a direct pedestrian access across the road to serve other mixed use office and residential buildings, all between 10 and 15 stories. The green to the west connects to the Jordan River trail.
Great idea. To add, I would continue the pedestrian access across I-15 also and have it connect to Sandy City's master plan as ( hopefully ) they redo South Towne Mall as well as the area around their city hall.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 3:10 PM

I must not get out much, but this big building seemed to pop out of nowhere,

Gymnastics Training Center
1470 E 3300 S
Lots of stucco so it's nothing to 'flip' over..

It's the location of the old Dottie's Putting Course
https://www.flickr.com/photos/samwib...7600479745247/

Old Posted Oct 25, 2014, 4:10 PM

Jordan valley at West Valley

Old Posted Oct 25, 2014, 4:49 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Location?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2014, 5:41 PM

Its the old Pioneer Valley Hospital

Old Posted Oct 27, 2014, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post

The problem with this area is that there are huge transmission power lines that run right on the west side of the road. Rocky Mountain Power will ground lease the area below the lines but you can't build anything other than a parking lot under the lines. You can build on the west side of the road, but the buildings have to be a good 20 to 30 feet away from the road.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 4:11 PM

Picts around the burbs

New apartments in Sandy next to Quarry Bend 9000s.

image by tadsol18, on Flickr

Something happening on the west side on intersection of 9000s and 700e

New hotel in Murray 5300s.

New town homes in Murray. 4500s. I think the Brickgate

Mini crane in Murray on Commerce drive.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 4:13 PM

Also a new 55 and older complex is going up by the condos at 4500s. I'll try to get pictures of that too.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 5:17 PM

Ya know, even though they're cookie cutter and they're uninspired and etc etc, at least it's increased density, not single family housing with big lawns that need to be watered...in a lot of the suburbs it's getting to the point that there's nowhere to go but up. The era of tract housing is over, except in the southwest corner of the valley.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 6:47 PM

Looks like Southtowne Center mall is finally getting a HUGE makeover! And new owners

http://http://fox13now.com/2014/11/0...-new-owners%2F

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 9:31 PM
Engineer

^^^I think that link is messed up.

http://fox13now.com/2014/11/03/sandy...er-new-owners/

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 12:42 AM

Not an update,\ but with the new development going on around Brickyard Plaza, I had a thought. Across from Brickyard (on the other side of 3300 South) there's an old, dying strip mall. There's a Dollar Tree and a thrift store, with 4 empty storefronts (I was just driving by today, and there was a Big Lots there last time I drove by about a month ago, so it just barely closed). It's really a sad sight, and I think it would be an excellent place for a mixed-use development, something that could even breathe more life into Brickyard Plaza if done right (I don't really want to see Brickyard go, but it's in need of a serious makeover). It's definitely big enough for such a project as well.

I'll try to get a picture of what that corner looks like now next time I drive by and I think everyone would be in agreement that something needs to be done about it. I could also try to get pictures of that development that's going in right next to Brickyard as well (can't remember the name).

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 12:55 AM
Bring out the cranes...

My wife and I were talking about this today. Why are developers so willing to develop NEW strip malls when we have so many that are dieing? Strip Mall at 7000 South and Redwood, Taylorsville Family Center just to name a few that have a ton of empty stores. Before we develop more strip malls, maybe we first need to redevelop some of these older ones.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West