HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Oct 21, 2015, 11:39 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

I see nothing wrong with what austlar1 said. We can all have our own opinions. This is not a groupthink board. Just because most think a downtown should be crowded and whatnot doesn't mean others can't lament the fact that it's become more of a hassle to enjoy.

I actually agree with austlar1. It most definitely is harder to park, and is much busier. That's good for the vibrancy of downtown, but it's not going to appeal to everyone. I don't necessarily avoid downtown because of the parking or crowds. I generally avoid it because there's not a whole lot down there for me as a non-drinker or club-goer. And the food is too expensive to enjoy on a regular basis.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 3:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
I see nothing wrong with what austlar1 said. We can all have our own opinions. This is not a groupthink board. Just because most think a downtown should be crowded and whatnot doesn't mean others can't lament the fact that it's become more of a hassle to enjoy.

I actually agree with austlar1. It most definitely is harder to park, and is much busier. That's good for the vibrancy of downtown, but it's not going to appeal to everyone. I don't necessarily avoid downtown because of the parking or crowds. I generally avoid it because there's not a whole lot down there for me as a non-drinker or club-goer. And the food is too expensive to enjoy on a regular basis.
Back at you. Nobody is negating austlar1's opinion. We can all have our own opinions.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 5:49 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Sounds good to me.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 7:52 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

I agree as well that Downtown is not for everyone. I simply stated that DTs are typically crowded which is what they should be from an ideal urban standpoint.

The goal and the reason why we are seeing so much construction going on like the Fairmont is to secure DT as a 24 hour neighborhood and city center. We are not there just yet but we are moving in the right direction.

Overall I'm pleased with what we are ending up getting with regards to the Fairmont except the height. My only concern is if the coloration of the glass ends up being very similar to the JW Marriott.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 10:23 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

I will say this about a vibrant downtown: I hope it brings a lot more 24-hr diners. I work evenings and get off at 1:30am. I wouldn't mind going down there to eat with a little smaller crowds.

I don't like Kerbey Lane at all. Magnolia is ok, but a their food is a little too hippie for my taste buds.

OH...and I'd LOVE a real Jewish deli to come to town. We almost had Mastman's downtown, but it seems to have fallen through the cracks.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2015, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
I will say this about a vibrant downtown: I hope it brings a lot more 24-hr diners. I work evenings and get off at 1:30am. I wouldn't mind going down there to eat with a little smaller crowds.

I don't like Kerbey Lane at all. Magnolia is ok, but a their food is a little too hippie for my taste buds.

OH...and I'd LOVE a real Jewish deli to come to town. We almost had Mastman's downtown, but it seems to have fallen through the cracks.
Downtown may be short on 24 hour food, but Austin does have more options than many cities. Things have probably changed, but when I lived in DC in the late 80s and early 90s there was hardly any place to eat after the bars closed. There was Au Pied de Cochon always open in Georgetown, and there used to be a couple of Chinese places that stayed open downtown. The crack/crime/shootout epidemic took a toll on those Chinese places as they started closing earlier and earlier. I lived in SF prior to living in DC. It was short on late night options too. although there were two or three places serving greasy breakfasts scattered around the close in neighborhoods like the Castro and Polk St. LA and NY, not surprisingly, have the most 24 hour options. Here in Austin there's 24 almost downtown on Lamar. It is not bad at all. Jewish delis are a disappearing breed even in cities with much larger Jewish populations. Katz's was just terrible, but it had a good run. Hey, wait a minute! This thread is about the Fairmont. My bad. Kevin might want to move this to the new favorite food thread.

Last edited by austlar1; Oct 23, 2015 at 1:04 AM.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2015, 2:58 AM
Honored Member

This thread could be gallantly rescued from terminal drift if someone has inside information that the Fairmont is going to include a 24-hour restaurant. Doesn't seem like too much of a stretch, unless they're counting on I-HOP to fill the void.

I agree with everyone about downtown and crowds. A downtown should be crowded and lively, and I rarely go downtown because it's too much of an ordeal for these weary old bones. I like that there's a lot going on downtown and that a lot of other people are enjoying themselves. Me, I'm content to stay home and read.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2015, 6:38 PM

Photo of the cranes in the background with FanFest stage in the foreground. The cranes actually look quite impressive at night, especially in that part of town.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2015, 5:11 PM

This morning:

Old Posted Nov 1, 2015, 8:16 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
I can't believe it has made so much progress! It feels like it is moving way faster than it should be, given the floorplate size of these levels.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2015, 2:52 AM
World Traveler

With the convention center between Fairmont and pretty much anything else, from that first picture you can tell how alone it'll be over there.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2015, 3:22 AM

Sometimes I think about Austin's dramatic skyline changes in terms of south bys. I wonder if any of the people who come to Austin every SXSW (only for south by) play a game involving how much it changes every year. I'm sure there are at least a couple dozen.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2015, 4:26 AM
lurker

Fairmont won't be too alone considering Rainey is right there. Id love to see that parking lot gone and the IHOP gone. With millennium its a nice spot. Is fairmont going to have similar retail like JW has? I feel like they really did a great job with Corner, and the burger place. Seems there is always people out there.

The future will be here, tomorrow

Old Posted Nov 2, 2015, 7:31 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberthewhat View Post
Fairmont won't be too alone considering Rainey is right there. Id love to see that parking lot gone and the IHOP gone. With millennium its a nice spot. Is fairmont going to have similar retail like JW has? I feel like they really did a great job with Corner, and the burger place. Seems there is always people out there.
Yeah, you're right. But with regard to height, the taller Rainey buildings are quite a bit south. Unless Waller happens (and the jury's still out), it'll have a decent gap in all directions. Even with the potential convention center expansion with another hotel in the rendering (facing the residential tower at Four Seasons was one of the options), it's still two city-blocks away. That's not a huge issue, I guess, as Rainey still provides some pretty good street life.

What is the plan for the lot immediately to the west of Ihop (parking lot mentioned by oberthewhat)? That has potential. I think I've heard some rumors but I forget if they were for that lot or another one. I think that lot has some great potential especially for street-level retail - especially since Millennium Rainey dropped the ball on that one. I'd love to have the Ihop go or at least change into a more urban feel (get rid of the surface lot around it, for instance).

Old Posted Nov 2, 2015, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
Yeah, you're right. But with regard to height, the taller Rainey buildings are quite a bit south. Unless Waller happens (and the jury's still out), it'll have a decent gap in all directions. Even with the potential convention center expansion with another hotel in the rendering (facing the residential tower at Four Seasons was one of the options), it's still two city-blocks away. That's not a huge issue, I guess, as Rainey still provides some pretty good street life.

What is the plan for the lot immediately to the west of Ihop (parking lot mentioned by oberthewhat)? That has potential. I think I've heard some rumors but I forget if they were for that lot or another one. I think that lot has some great potential especially for street-level retail - especially since Millennium Rainey dropped the ball on that one. I'd love to have the Ihop go or at least change into a more urban feel (get rid of the surface lot around it, for instance).
That lot was bought by the Waller Park Place developers early this year and is the ste of a proposed office tower being described as Phase II of the Wall Park Place project.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2015, 6:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
I can't believe it has made so much progress! It feels like it is moving way faster than it should be, given the floorplate size of these levels.
"Empire State Building"
-construction of the building took only one year and 45 days
http://www.esbnyc.com/sites/default/...t_4_9_14_4.pdf

Old Posted Nov 9, 2015, 8:35 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
That lot was bought by the Waller Park Place developers early this year and is the ste of a proposed office tower being described as Phase II of the Wall Park Place project.
Thanks! Just now saw that you replied to this.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2015, 2:01 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OU812 View Post
"Empire State Building"
-construction of the building took only one year and 45 days
http://www.esbnyc.com/sites/default/...t_4_9_14_4.pdf
Wow. WOW! That's absolutely phenomenal. Hard to comprehend. It would probably be impossible to replicate such a pace of construction today. While the technology has improved, the process has become enormously complicated for all the reasons with which everyone is familiar.

Anyone have a guess as to which of Austin's skyscrapers went up fastest, and how long it took?

Old Posted Nov 10, 2015, 2:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech House View Post
Wow. WOW! That's absolutely phenomenal. Hard to comprehend. It would probably be impossible to replicate such a pace of construction today. While the technology has improved, the process has become enormously complicated for all the reasons with which everyone is familiar.

Anyone have a guess as to which of Austin's skyscrapers went up fastest, and how long it took?
Since you didn't put in any height qualifiers, I'd say either Skyhouse or Legacy, leaning towards the latter.

Btw, skyscraper frame constructed from iron intead of cement would be quicker so not too surprising the Empire State Building went up so quickly, 4.5 floors per week vs around 1 per week waiting for cement to cure, and as far as built in safety as in today's safety standards, it survived a large plane crashing into it.

Last edited by the Genral; Nov 10, 2015 at 2:45 AM.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2015, 2:37 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
...it survived a large plane crashing into it.
Not to mention the fact that it showed no sign of stress while supporting the weight of that enormous ape that scaled its exterior.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin