HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 5:45 AM
designer&stuff

City of St. Louis, MO

Just various parts of St. Louis. Enjoy!

“Most planning of the past fifteen years has been based upon three destructive fallacies: the cataclysmic insists upon tearing everything down in order to design from an absolutely clean slate; the automotive would plan for the free passage of the automobile at the expense of all other values; the suburban dislikes the city anyway and would just as soon destroy its density and strew it across the countryside.” Vince Scully

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 10:39 AM

Wow "City of St. Louis, MO", the photos are as formal and official as the title itself.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 10:44 AM

I see three dark facade apartment buildings standing in line right next to the Arch, what are they for? They seem to be on premium location, are they expensive?

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 3:04 PM

I think St. Louis strength is not in its downtown which is somewhat generic, but in its neighborhoods with all the brick. A couple of the neighborhood shots were strikingly similar to New Orleans in feel. Congrats on a fine set!

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by East72nd View Post
I think St. Louis strength is not in its downtown which is somewhat generic, but in its neighborhoods with all the brick. A couple of the neighborhood shots were strikingly similar to New Orleans in feel. Congrats on a fine set!
St. Louis is like New Orleans meets Chicago, very unique city that really isn't appreciated nationally or locally for that matter. If St. Louis can get its crime under control and gets "rediscovered" nationally, it will be unaffordable for many of its current residents. That's what makes it great, you can still get a bargain on a 19th century brownstone that would cost a million dollars on the coast.

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 3:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
St. Louis is like New Orleans meets Chicago, very unique city that really isn't appreciated nationally or locally for that matter. If St. Louis can get its crime under control and gets "rediscovered" nationally, it will be unaffordable for many of its current residents. That's what makes it great, you can still get a bargain on a 19th century brownstone that would cost a million dollars on the coast.
That's the problem though. It's not on a coast. Coastal cities naturally are more favored over inland cities because of the water feature and ports. Not to mention, it doesn't really use it's river very well at all. I've always felt that's something most American cities with rivers flowing through their centers fail at that European cities don't. Building along it's rivers and making it a magnificent water feature like London and Paris for example.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 3:18 PM

A gorgeous city. Are those cobble stone streets original?

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
A gorgeous city. Are those cobble stone streets original?
Oh yes, St. Louis was the 4th largest city in the United States at the turn of the 20th century. Large and underrated historic fabric.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 4:10 PM

Were those first few pictures taken from Collinsville?

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 6:27 PM

Great pics ..... & ..... LGB!

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLeric View Post
Great pics ..... & ..... LGB!
You forgot the "T."

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 10:23 PM
designer&stuff

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Quote:
I see three dark facade apartment buildings standing in line right next to the Arch, what are they for? They seem to be on premium location, are they expensive?
I'm sure the locals can state whether they're expensive. They didn't look too bad from the street.

Quote:
This is the second time I have been out to St. Louis, but the first time with a friend providing a tour. That certainly made a big difference to me in exploring the city. The funny thing is, I will support KCMO since I live out here, but I wouldn't mind living in St. Louis. The history of the place, architecture, sports, and urban character are leaps and bounds above such a younger city as Kansas City.

Quote:
Were those first few pictures taken from Collinsville?
Actually Caseyville.
“Most planning of the past fifteen years has been based upon three destructive fallacies: the cataclysmic insists upon tearing everything down in order to design from an absolutely clean slate; the automotive would plan for the free passage of the automobile at the expense of all other values; the suburban dislikes the city anyway and would just as soon destroy its density and strew it across the countryside.” Vince Scully

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKidD View Post
Actually Caseyville.
I noticed it was taken from a slightly north vantage point from where I've taken pictures. I'll let you in on my favorite spot, if you want to visit for more pictures of the skyline:

1702 Pleasantview Dr. Fairview Heights IL 62208. (The area is also known as French Village)

This view is straight east. It should put the arch in the center of frame.
You can put that into google maps and actually see the skyline on there. I grew up in Fairview, and we had a family friend that lived near there. We sometimes would go there to watch the fireworks.

One more:
Eckerts Fun Farm
2719 Eckert Ln, Millstadt, IL 62260

This view is from the southeast. There's a hill in the center of the farm. You can see the skyline nicely, with the new bridge visible as well.

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 5:31 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

well done. hope you enjoyed your time. these make me homesick, a bit, as im on the road.

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 6:15 PM

also, i highly recommend coming back with a bike and getting a hotel near forest park, and using the park as a transportation corridor to explore all the adjacent neighborhoods on bike and foot. the cheshire is always a fun one - a british themed mid century place with an outdoor pool (fair warning: pool gets a bit drunk-douche with bad djs sometimes in the evening) and a fun little pub. the italian place in the basement is alright but skip the main restaurant - boundary.

bit of a tangent...there are good biking corridors like wydown blvd (which connects to demun, a small, urban, hidden apartment/commercial district in clayton proper) to the west through leafy 1920s mansion nabes (with a hidden greenway branch north to the u-city loop through washington university), plenty of connections (with a bike/pedestrian bridge) to the grove, bike paths all over the park, and of course the cwe has very bikable streets. theres bike shops out on either side of the park if you have an issue. also, stop at the boathouse for a beer mid-park.

Last edited by Centropolis; May 25, 2016 at 6:35 PM.

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 9:52 PM

I like that town despite all the hockey and baseball issues

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maru2501 View Post
I like that town despite all the hockey and baseball issues

the rest of the stanley cup playoff series paled in comparison to the energy of the blues-hawks games. theres no other sporting event i can think of that is as exciting (to me) as that combo.

Old Posted May 27, 2016, 3:22 AM
Red brick mama.

Very cool! St. Louis oozes with character out of every orifice!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos