HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 6:10 AM

Work pics

A few weeks ago, i discovered my favorite house near my office got knocked down. I had been working from home the day it happened, but who ever did it, did it quick. I posted about the house a few months ago. It was built in the late 1890's and survived the 101.

Another view

I tried to find a picture of it on my phone, but this last one is the only thing i found. The local fire station did some training.

On a happier note, I had an elks club luncheon the same day i found out about the house. I was super close to the Glendale Station and took some pics.

It's a real gem. Once the meeting was over i had to head back to the office,and then go out to Watts for a meeting with a city rep, but on the way out there i noticed this mid-riser being torn down.. thought i'd share.

Made it out to Watts around 4pm and had a meeting with the city rep in the old Police/ Fire Station/ Library. All the original wood floors we're restored which surprised me. I found out that the city was giving the community center X amount of dollars to rent a building when this was vacant, so the community center led a grass roots thing to help turn this into a community center..and guess what... with all cost, it was cheaper than what they we're paying in rent in the first place.

L.A. good or bad, has so much history being preserved, but we can always hope for more.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 7:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unihikid View Post
A few weeks ago, i discovered my favorite house near my office got knocked down. I had been working from home the day it happened, but who ever did it, did it quick. I posted about the house a few months ago. It was built in the late 1890's and survived the 101.

Another view

It's a shame to see such a lovely old building get destroyed. Isn't there any better alternative for a 120 year old building than to be demolished?

Here's the house in happier times (Google Maps) - it was easy for me to find it, what with Queen of Angels hospital (aka, “Dream Center”) so clearly visible in the background of your photo:

Quote:
On a happier note, I had an elks club luncheon the same day i found out about the house. I was super close to the Glendale Station and took some pics.

It's a real gem.
It sure is a gem.

The Glendale Station is often (and incorrectly) claimed to be the station from the classic noir film, Double Indemnity. The scene was actually filmed at a station in Burbank (with a phony “Glendale” sign tacked on), which you can read about here.

(Photo courtesy of SilentLocations.wordpress.com)

The Glendale Station, was, however featured in many other films, such as Buster Keaton’s College (1927), and Van Helfin’s Act of Violence (1948), both seen below:

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 4:19 PM

Prudent B. died at 607 Temple house

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post
e_r, what my notes have on Victor Beaudry:

Beaudry, Victor ca. 1830, born in Canada; brother of Prudent Beaudry; 1849, to California; 1855, to Los Angeles; September 22, 1855, published (Los Angeles Star): “Bags for Sale, or made to order by Machinery […]. Also—Tents, Hose, Ceilings, and Wagon Covers sewed. V. Beaudry. Third door from Aliso Street, —Beaudry’s Block, Negro Alley”; July 11, 1857, published (Los Angeles Star): aiding in the civic Independence Day proceedings; 1858, with Marchessault organized the Santa Anita Mining Company; 1860, present in L.A. as a merchant with savings of $1,000; July 14, 1860, published (Los Angeles Star): on Grand Jury; 1861, “made Sutler of the First Regiment of Infantry, United States regular army, and went east to the seat of war, and was with the army till the close of the war, suffering many hardships which greatly impaired his health. Officers of the army who had become warm friends of his were afterward stationed at Camp Independence, Inyo County, California, and they invited him to open a store at that point. This he did, and later acquired interests in the Cerro Gordo Mines, which he worked, in company with Mr. M.W. Belshaw, with great success” (Illustrated History of Los Angeles County, p. 375); “In 1872 Mr. Victor Beaudry returned to Montreal, where he was married during the following year to a daughter of M. Leblanc, Sheriff of Montreal. The result of this union was five children, now residing with their mother in Montreal, where Victor died in 1888, having resided in Los Angeles from 1881 to 1886, where he had, in company with his brother Prudent, become interested in real estate” (op. cit., p. 375).
This would likely have been in the care of his brother here. Originally owned by Victor family - then owned by a Beaudry. Was kitty-corner to fabulous John Bradbury home in era of expensive mansions along Temple.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 8:13 PM

Doyle's Arena #1 and #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post
e_r, has this been entered into evidence here at NLA yet?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/El-campo-de...p2047675.l2557
This is new to me!

I didn't expect the boxing camp to have a in-ground PLUNGE....or for that matter, a hand-ball court.
& I have to say the boxing ring isn't what I expecting either, especially with the pavilion-like roof and landscaping. (schrubbery)

thx for finding this odinthor.
__

The 2nd, indoor, ARENA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
Photo dated: July 23, 1927.

LAPL

Here is a detailed description of the indoor arena. (some of the details are quite surprising!)

googlebooksimage

First of all, I wasn't expecting a lobby...and that lobby had indirect lighting in Tiffany colors!

I expected a utilitarian barn-like structure.. but....the front of the building was done in stucco of Egyptian design. note to self: MUST. FIND. EXTERIOR. PHOTOGRAPH.

There was a tunnel. (as everyone knows... I love me some tunnel)
________

re: Hoss' photograph. I didn't expect one of the boxers to be a cartoon.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jul 20, 2018 at 8:35 PM.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 8:49 PM

I'll continue beating this horse later. (I want to discuss Noir Noir's 1927 aerial)

This photograph is so amazing I can't wait to post it.

EBAY

"1910 Los Angeles California Republican League Senator Edwin Meserve Banner"

KEY WORDS
L.A. County Republican League - Rooms ? Nadeau Hotel Edwin A. Meserve United States Senator
Signs visible: Rainier Beer, Go to Ben White to buy or sell Exchange Property, English Woolen Mills,
Sample Shoes, Luckenbach & Co. Jewelers

As far as I can tell...the Edwin Meserve banner must be the one down the street.

this one

Yep, I think I see his name.

and I have to take a closer look at this woman's vibrant white parasol.

DETAIL

GW did an earlier post on Senator Meserve's house in Freemont Place HERE
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jul 20, 2018 at 9:08 PM.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick m View Post
This would likely have been in the care of his brother here. Originally owned by Victor family - then owned by a Beaudry. Was kitty-corner to fabulous John Bradbury home in era of expensive mansions along Temple.

Wait. What? You lost me. The Bradbury Mansion was at Court and Hill. 607 Temple was near Temple and Grand. Please explain.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
That tall pipe at the left appears to be a sewer vent.

There are several in back of my house....along the sewer line.
Why did they make the pipe so tall then...so you could smell it better?

EW!

GIPHY

I'm being immature.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jul 20, 2018 at 10:25 PM.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 9:40 PM

Quote:

It's a real gem.
It is a real gem and they've integrated into the Glendale Transportation Center quite nicely. When I head downtown on weekdays I usually take Metrolink from the Glendale Station(it's quick easy and with transfers on Metro it's dirt cheap). Your photos are really nice, I thought I'd add a detail photo and interior shot.

06300007.jpg by BillinGlendaleCA
Detail above the door.

06300008.jpg by BillinGlendaleCA
Interior of the station.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2018, 2:05 AM

Famous Bradbury was Lewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
Wait. What? You lost me. The Bradbury Mansion was at Court and Hill. 607 Temple was near Temple and Grand. Please explain.
Lewis Leonard Bradbury has the 35 room manse on Court @ Hill...
His brother John then constructed the city's most costly one at Temple @ Bunker Hill Ave. It is in aerials from the 30s... John's marriage was truncated similar to his wealthier Mexican silver mines baron brother Lewis...

Old Posted Jul 21, 2018, 5:17 AM

Is the "noirish" era over, or are we still in it? Looking at world events and local events, still feels pretty "noirish", or at least chaotic. Chaos and Noir are twins. Is "noirish" the same as the period of classic film noir? Things still seem pretty noir, and getting more so, with an major twist of tech. Homeless people with smart phones. "Brazil". Great neo-noir comedy or satire from 1985. Or of course the more serious "Blade Runner".

Last edited by CaliNative; Jul 21, 2018 at 5:29 AM.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2018, 5:23 AM

Quote:
His brother John then constructed the city's most costly one at Temple @ Bunker Hill Ave. It is in aerials from the 30s... John's marriage was truncated similar to his wealthier Mexican silver mines baron brother Lewis...
Yes, on Temple between Bunker Hill Ave and Grand (it's on the Baist maps), not kitty-corner from the Bradbury place. Prudent Beaudry died at 607 Temple in 1893. I thought I may have missed something, but I think we're back on the same page.

This, as far as I know, was the Bradbury Mansion we're all familiar with. The porte-cochere, on the northside of the home, seems to be addressed 410 [Court St] in this photo. I know nothing about a John Bradbury. I'm not up to speed on a lot of things.

Last edited by tovangar2; Jul 21, 2018 at 4:59 PM. Reason: add links

Old Posted Jul 21, 2018, 7:24 PM

Quote:

I think we are referring to 620 W. Temple, which I posted a 1928 photo of two years ago and which you subsequently identified.
Where did you find that the house was the city's most expensive and that John Bradbury built it?

Anyway, that same 1928 photo is now available in a larger format:

Islandora/UCLA

We can even see a birdcage in the window and the address in the lower left corner:

I found the first listing of 620 W. Temple was in the 1892 LACD. This guy's name was Walter B. (not D.) Cline. In my previous
post on 620 Temple, there is an 1891 reference to Walter Cline's father, William, who seems to have been the first resident of
620 Temple. In 1891 Walter was living at 830 S. Pearl, and appparently after his father William died late that year, Walter moved
to 620 Temple:

1892 LACD @ fold3.com

Walter B. Cline was still at 620 W. Temple through mid-1894:

1894 LACD @ fold3.com

May 18, 1894, Los Angeles Times @ ProQuest via LAPL

John Bradbury had moved to 620 W. Temple by November 1894:

November 11, 1894, Los Angeles Herald @ CDNC

I didn't see John Bradbury in the 1894 LACD, but here he is in 1895:

fold3.com

The 1897 LACD is the last to show John Bradbury at 620 W. Temple. The 1898 LACD does not give his residence address,
and the 1899 LACD shows him living in "Rosario, Sinaloa, Mex."

Last edited by Flyingwedge; Jul 21, 2018 at 7:43 PM. Reason: add bold face to quote

Old Posted Jul 21, 2018, 8:27 PM

One of my numerous vices is that I collect sheet music, mainly from the era 1900-1930. Here's the first page of my online inventory: https://web.csulb.edu/~odinthor/music.html (subsequent pages are linked to at the bottom of each page).

I ran across this on eBay:

eBay

Mildly interesting!--because the composer Percy Wenrich is a prominent figure in the music of that era (numerous rags--my main interest in sheet music--songs such as Put On Your Old Grey Bonnet and When You Wore a Tulip and I Wore a Big Red Rose, etc.). More interesting was when I looked closer and saw that this waltz was published (in 1909) in . . . Los Angeles.

detail of the above

The W.K. Brehm Music Company was at 426 South Broadway, in the Broadway Central Building.

odinthor collection; http://web.csulb.edu/~odinthor/socal7.html

Here is the Broadway Central Building in the course of construction (mid-right):

odinthor collection; http://web.csulb.edu/~odinthor/socal8.html

Wenrich having this obscure piece published way out west rather than in New York, the old-fashioned (if amiable!) nature of the cover art for that era, and my overactive nay fevered imagination all suggest that this was a commissioned piece to be sold exclusively at some local soda fountain as a come-on to bring in customers. This come-on sounds whimsical to modern ears; but home piano was a big thing before radio and TV.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2018, 10:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Why did they make the pipe so tall then...so you could smell it better?

EW!

GIPHY

I'm being immature.
Yes....of course.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2018, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge View Post
I think we are referring to 620 W. Temple, which I posted a 1928 photo of two years ago and which you subsequently identified.
Where did you find that the house was the city's most expensive and that John Bradbury built it?

Anyway, that same 1928 photo is now available in a larger format:

Islandora/UCLA
Regardless of its provenance, that building (and the photo of it) is beautiful. Thanks for the link, Flyingwedge!

Old Posted Jul 22, 2018, 12:13 AM

Quote:
I think we are referring to 620 W. Temple...
Thank you for the clarification FW. The three homes, at least, are on the same page. I'd seriously lost the plot (but, FWIW, now recall John Bradbury was one of Lucy Bannings husbands, but it was John Bradbury the son, not the brother, the one who I still don't know about):

baist 1921, plate 7 (detail)

ETA:

Quote:
The 1897 LACD is the last to show John Bradbury at 620 W. Temple. The 1898 LACD does not give his residence address,
and the 1899 LACD shows him living in "Rosario, Sinaloa, Mex."
This 1897 article places John Bradbury (if I've got the right one) in Santa Monica

Last edited by tovangar2; Jul 22, 2018 at 3:13 AM. Reason: duh

Old Posted Jul 22, 2018, 2:55 AM

I'm curious.. did post offices have commercial spaces back in the 1890s?

Antique Cabinet Card - Cigar Store Interior - Los Angeles CA 1890-1910."

"Compliments of Mr. F. Ball, Post Office Cigar Store".

EBAY

EBAY

turned to save your neck.

DETAIL

What's that you say? You'd like to see it even BIGGER to see all the details?

They need new carpeting >

I might as well enlarge this too.

search purposes: F.H. ROGERS & CO., PHOTOGRAPHERS, 624 SAN FERNANDO ST., LOS ANGELES, CAL.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jul 22, 2018 at 3:19 AM.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2018, 4:12 AM

There was a sub-Post Office in Landis Department Store in Larchmont Village back in the day and another at the back of Rancho Park Pharmacy on Pico. I think they were pretty common at one time.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2018, 4:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post

There was a sub-Post Office in Landis Department Store in Larchmont Village back in the day and another at the back of Rancho Park Pharmacy on Pico. I think they were pretty common at one time.

Our local Kress's here in the (Orange) county "island" (county land not part of a city) where Schloss Odinthor is located had a sub post office, under the aegis of the Los Alamitos Post Office (the adjacent community). We had our own zip code--I forget what it was; maybe 90721 (Los Al is 90720). This was into the mid-1960s. Kress and the sub post office reached the end of their existence, and we're now thralls of the Los Alamitos Post Office...but we can still use our special zip code (but nobody does).

Old Posted Jul 22, 2018, 5:22 AM

I loved these when I was a kid.

There is a fantastic Cut-A-Way of the Times Building in today's LATIMES

LATIMES

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jul 23, 2018 at 12:11 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos