HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

432 Park Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
The height is great, but other than that, I think it looks like a federal department HQ in the sky. It's seriously that imaginative. Also, It's the height of selfishness in a tower. A tower for rich people where all the beauty will be hidden on the inside, yet giving very little back to the city's average citizens (other than height and skyscraper fans). It takes all it can and gives nothing back. I'm taking about taking space and light away here folks yet offering little beauty to the street.

It's a cold grey concrete shoulder offered to the plebs on the street, but a warm inviting interior for the .001 percent driving up in their limos. Shame on the developer. And to think he compared this to some old Roman style of architecture. Sorry Mr, but this is more like the State Department in DC on steroids than the Forum in Rome.
welcome to Park Avenue in midtown.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 9:43 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
welcome to Park Avenue in midtown.
This is 21st century, you'd think they'd have learnt something about architecture and urban design by now. The 60's were a major mistake, yet this dufus gives that period high respect and builds a tower of brutalist, fascist undertones in this day and age when everyone knows that style is hated by the majority. It has elements that remind me of architecture from Germany in the 40's or Italy under the far right. I guess Mr. Developer only cares about creating a perch for the rich rather than a building that can be appreciated by the average Joe and not just skyscraper freaks, the brokers, the billionaires, etc, etc. Did anybody tell this idiot that both can be accomplished if he looked outside his little bubble of the .00001 percent and thought about what could make the city better, not just what can make a billionaire go 'ooh and aah' over a view. This tower will represent all that is wrong with the current boom. Too much respect given to the rich and nothing given to back to the city in terms of good design.... I'm all for power towers (although personally this one isn't my favorite), but I just think the devil's advocate view is warranted in this scenario because you can easily see both sides of the argument. Many people I know who couldn't give a rats ass about skyscrapers find this tower boring and dull.

Last edited by NYguy; Oct 24, 2014 at 10:34 PM.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 9:59 PM
don't *meddle*...

Meet the world's best skyline ... even with Downtown missing.

The distant island by Tony Shi., on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 10:06 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3941/...bceb615d_h.jpg
Very nice. Skyline was not my point. The point was from purely an aesthetic viewpoint the average NY'er won't give a crap about the height (they won't be looking at the skyline from a distance all the time like skyscraper freaks) and will be left with a tower that does not improve the aesthetic beauty of their city from street level. The positive skyline impact of this tower is of course unquestionable when looking from afar. However, the design leaves one hell of a lot to be desired.

Last edited by NYguy; Oct 24, 2014 at 10:36 PM.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 10:33 PM
New Yorker for life

Any more talk about what's getting built elsewhere gets deleted. Period.

photodwb

thebaldwhiteguy

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 11:52 PM
BANNED

Nice view from Citi.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2014, 1:29 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

Ha! What the hell is that bottle of Tabasco doing in that last shot?
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Oct 25, 2014, 2:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post

The distant island by Tony Shi., on Flickr

I like how there is a little play set on the balcony of the nearest building.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2014, 3:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surplusQ View Post
I like how there is a little play set on the balcony of the nearest building.
man.. that shot in 10 years.. ( well lets hope these are all build by 2024 ).. with One Vanderbilt, Steinway, Nordstrom, Tower Verre, and Hundson Yards ( i think Hudson Yards would be in frame on the far left? ).. it is going to look absolutely insane. there are going to be a lot of cranes dotting the sky in a couple years.

432 is the first of a new era. I doubt we will see any of the above built near as quickly, due to the simplicity of the design of 432. When i first visited new york in 2008, i would have never imagined a building like this would be built. i think it's very exciting

Old Posted Oct 25, 2014, 4:35 AM

Quote:
This is 21st century, you'd think they'd have learnt something about architecture and urban design by now.
Don't confuse your ignorance about modernism with some larger aesthetic point about 432 Park.
Quote:
Many people I know who couldn't give a rats ass about skyscrapers find this tower boring and dull.
If someone "doesn't give a rats ass about skyscrapers" then obviously they won't have an opinion about 432 Park.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2014, 6:41 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

IDK whats up with the negativity towards towers that look like Park or that are boxy. Dull and boring? Look around. Lots of boxy architecture out there. Not everything can be pointy and flashy. Remember that these towers are created due to the demand and to make a profit; not just to be stunners architecturally.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2014, 2:55 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
Ha! What the hell is that bottle of Tabasco doing in that last shot?
For scale

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Oct 25, 2014, 5:15 PM

Ha, this shot is hilarious! Good on these guys for a having a sense of humor!

Old Posted Oct 25, 2014, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Kurt View Post

And 432 Park was NOT topped out when the news said it was. The perimeter was floors way from passing the core. Just saying...
The news is full of shit. Don't trust it.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2014, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kznyc2k View Post

Ha, this shot is hilarious! Good on these guys for a having a sense of humor!
Really? I think it's humbling. It shows scale, and makes you think what those two suits are thinking about. It illustrates an undying sense of wonder and curiosity. The Tobasco bottle further adds touches of humanity. But maybe I'm reading into it too much.

Aerial Lift Bridge live stream:
http://www.lsmma.com/webcam/webcam_st2.html

Old Posted Oct 25, 2014, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbsanford View Post
Really? I think it's humbling. It shows scale, and makes you think what those two suits are thinking about. It illustrates an undying sense of wonder and curiosity. The Tobasco bottle further adds touches of humanity. But maybe I'm reading into it too much.
The Tabasco represents the spice and vigor of the human spirit, leaving a zesty aliveness you can feel in the pit of your stomach, which drives us ever upwards and outwards towards the esophagus-- I mean, the skies...

Old Posted Oct 25, 2014, 11:22 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormkingfan View Post
The news is full of shit. Don't trust it.

I don't see how this would be a news issue. The developers gave access tours of a building said to be topped out, and that's what was reported.

Besides, it's not as if they've since added anymore floors, so the reporting was correct in that respect, which was probably the point.

http://www.mcall.com/news/breaking/m...togallery.html

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2014, 5:33 PM

Latest video which also shows One World Trade and other towers (OFF TOPIC) for here:

BY QUEENSNY121:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJ5P...ature=youtu.be

Old Posted Oct 27, 2014, 1:21 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Oct 27, 2014, 12:23 PM

i heart citi

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive