HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jul 16, 2012, 12:55 AM

Fort Worth, Texas

Welcome to Fort Worth, Texas! I haven’t posted a thread on my fair city in a long time, so I thought I would show you some random pictures that I took with some commentary and provide you with some of the city’s history, as well.

In downtown, we have three new buildings under construction in Sundance Square. Their sites are not much to look at because they have just been clearing the parking lots away to start building. Here are two of the construction sites of a 6 story and a 5 story building. Along with the two buildings will be a real “Sundance Square”, a one block public plaza centered on Main Street. The two buildings will be bookends to the plaza.

Last year, the owners of the Tandy Center, now called City Place demolished the old Tandy Center Mall and are now building two new structures between the two towers. One is a parking garage/retail building, and the other is a new entrance pavilion/retail addition to the south tower. After the new construction is finished, the south tower will be upgraded to match the already renovated north tower. Here’s a shot of the new construction.

Tarrant County College finally opened a downtown campus last fall with two locations. One is the old RadioShack Corporate Campus, west of the Courthouse, and the other is the Trinity River East Campus, designed by Bing Thom out of Vancouver, B.C.

117 years of construction in this photograph:

The Courthouse was restored from the roof downward in 1983. At that time, they did not have enough money to restore the dome. That work was finally done earlier this year. In April, the scaffolding was removed and it revealed a new copper dome on top of the building, and a restored clock. Here’s a shot of the Horse Fountain and a better view of the new copper dome.

Back in the late 1800’s several horse watering troughs and decorative fountains were built throughout the city. On the opposite end of downtown, there is another that honors Al Hayne, who died saving others at the Spring Palace Fire in 1890.

Just a little north of where the Spring Palace was located, the Texas & Pacific Railway Terminal was built in 1931. This was originally part of a three building complex (all three buildings are still standing), and it had bustling railroad station on the ground floor with offices on the upper floors. The station portion now serves as a commuter rail station and the upper floors have been converted into lofts.

The building is fairly impressive, but the lobby is just fantastic. It is now used as a meeting room/function space, but when it is not being rented, you can still come in the front door to access the commuter train called the Trinity Railway Express.

The concourse between the lobby and the trains is now used as seating for a restaurant called the T&P Tavern.

The restaurant itself is inside the old diner of the train station. When the restaurant leased the space, nothing had changed since the last time the restaurant was in operation in the late 1960’s. Here’s a view inside the dining room.

The T&P Tavern is a popular hangout for the urban cyclists in Fort Worth. One of the city’s smaller bicycle shops relocated their store to Sundance Square.

The Flying Saucer is relocating within downtown and they have a fancy new neon sign.

If you want to eat barbecue in downtown, Riscky’s is the place. They have been in operation in Fort Worth since 1927. Their main store is still just west of the Stockyards in North Fort Worth, but the downtown location is a popular spot.

In 1921, the Farmers and Mechanics National Bank opened as the city’s tallest building at 24 stories and a height of 307 feet. Over the years, the base had been modernized twice. Each modernization had been built over the previous one. When they started the restoration, you could see all three facades inside the walls. Below is a view of the building after restoration.

Here is a detail of the new base:

It is also illuminated at night:

While I was walking around downtown the other evening, I noticed this pigeon sitting on top of a sign. The sign had spikes on it to keep the birds away. I don’t think it was doing its job.

On Thursday nights, a movie is run after sundown in a parking lot. You can bring your lawn chair and watch a free movie.

I hope you enjoyed this brief tour of Fort Worth. I will be adding photographs here in the next few days.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2012, 3:20 AM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Awesome.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2012, 3:47 AM

Yes, I haven't been posting much, or even taking very many photographs. However, this summer, I've started getting interested in taking pictures again. I have shot quite a bit over the last few weeks. I will be adding some photos to this thread.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2012, 5:13 AM
E pluribus unum

Awesome, and welcome back! Fort Worth looking good as always

Old Posted Jul 16, 2012, 6:16 AM
Meh

This is epic!

I love Fort Worth. It's really under appreciated.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jul 16, 2012, 6:31 AM

Keep posting pics in this thread. I love to see my hometown get some exposure. I was just up there for a visit and found myself quite pleased with some of the changes. One thing that struck me is how green the place has become. TH\he scrawny trees I remember from growing up in the 50s and 60 have now matured in gorgeous shady neighborhoods. The parks are looking fantastic.

Last edited by austlar1; Jul 16, 2012 at 7:14 PM.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2012, 7:10 AM

Fort Worth has one of the most lively, walkable core of any downtown area in Texas or most of the southwest, and it keeps getting better. I love to see other SSP'ers enjoying it. Your pictures are really great, love the ones of 714 main and the T&P station.

I'm planning to go to junior college at TCC this fall

Old Posted Jul 16, 2012, 3:52 PM

I just love Fort Worth, it's always a treat to see photos of this cool city.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2012, 5:14 PM
Illustrator, editor

Nice typical Texas city.

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510

Old Posted Jul 16, 2012, 10:40 PM

I thank all of you for the comments.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2012, 12:18 AM

Nice set. I enjoyed my brief visit to Fort Worth.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2012, 12:53 AM

Here's a couple of more to add. I'm including two shots of the Caceria Building, one in the day and the other at night. It is a new building, completed in 2008.

Last edited by John R; Jul 17, 2012 at 1:37 AM.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2012, 1:20 AM

I love that new Trinity River East Campus! Did the nearby Halprin-designed park ever get restored and reopened?

Old Posted Jul 17, 2012, 1:39 AM

Halprin's Heritage Park Plaza has not been restored or reopened. The city is still working on it, but due to budget cuts, it may be a long time before the public will be able to experience it again.

The Tarrant County College Campus is pretty impressive. One of the most interesting views is from the river, but I haven't walked down there with my camera since it has been completed. It's funny, because I've ridden my bicycle on the Trinity Trails many times.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2012, 2:05 AM

I worked in Ft. Worth in the 70s while on break from college, and for years all I could remember were the clogged freeways and sprawling suburbs from that decade. I know the sprawl and traffic are still there, but the downtown redevelopment has made it one of my favorite places to visit in the state. There's some really handsome architecture in that city, both the historic and the newer.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2012, 2:40 AM

It's a good thing that we have kept many of our historic buildings in downtown. There were still quite a few that were demolished in the 1970's. I still consider the biggest mistake to be the construction of the Fort Worth Convention Center on the south end of downtown in the late 1960's. The buildings in that location were a part of Hell's Half Acre, the city's notorious red light district. However, they were similar in styling to the restored Sundance Square buildings on the other end of downtown. The Convention Center building made a super block of 10 old city blocks and the parking added a few more super blocks to the center. I think it should have been constructed in a different location.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2012, 2:47 AM

Hey John, gotta encourage the other FTW Forumers to post their awesome pics on this site. Especially Brian Luenser's pics from his tower condo! Us locals know what our city looks like, gotta share Fort Worth with the rest of the world. Oh and by the way, incredible photos on this thread. Love it!

Old Posted Jul 17, 2012, 3:41 AM

This forum would definitely enjoy the views from The Tower. I have a few that were taken from a different unit, but things are starting to change again, so before long, they will be dated.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 2:16 AM

Excellent!

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 2:33 AM

More Fort Worth and I'm still in downtown.

Signs:

Sign in an alley by day:

Same sign at night:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos