HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted May 7, 2016, 6:37 AM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
The Land Without Refills, Part VI: Paris - "Antiquated Nudity & You!"

Well, that little vacation from posting these pictures from Europe certainly took longer than expected! That's what happens, though, when you're working three jobs (one full-time, two part-time) and going to school! But now that that's wrapped up, let me finish up with all these pictures I took when my partner and I visited Europe back in January.

After a day spent mostly at the Palace of Versailles and the Opera Garnier, we spent a day at the Louvre.

Fun fact: Today's musical selection comes from a video game set in Paris.

Video Link

I am a Christian and I value my faith. Nevertheless, the sight of religious statuary making silly faces has more power to put me in a good mood than nearly anything else.

I especially love the statue over to the right: Apotheosis of the Selfie

Those eyes, those thighs... Surprise! I think about this statue of a sleeping hermaphrodite whenever some idiot starts blithering about HB2.

The Crystal Dressing Set comes with everything you see here! (Warning: Not intended for monarchs weighing more than 200 pounds.)

If you tell me you can look at this painting without hearing this sound effect, you are lying.

Savage violence or hot lovin’? You be the judge.

I’ve included the tourists’ heads in this shot because if you go to view the Mona Lisa, that’s what you’ll see: hundreds and hundreds of tourists jostling one another for a glimpse of a smallish painting and a cicada-like burr of cameras going off as the jostling tourists take her picture.

This would look delightful in our living room.

Frankly, by this time having spent so many days away from the US, I was beginning to get a little homesick and I wanted something familiar to eat. It turns out there’s a Subway across the river from Notre Dame and so that’s where we went, crossing this bridge en route. Now, how often can you say that you’ve sat in a Subway listening to the constant murmur of dozens of conversations in French, chewing your food and staring out the window at Notre Dame?

Not often I’ll wager.

"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted May 7, 2016, 7:55 AM
A gruff individual.

"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted May 7, 2016, 3:27 PM

Appel à l'aide. Subway: la meilleure baguette de Paris, et çà, juste à l'ombre de Notre-Dame. Aille. Ça fait mal.

Old Posted May 7, 2016, 10:49 PM
A gruff individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by montréaliste View Post
Appel à l'aide. Subway: la meilleure baguette de Paris, et çà, juste à l'ombre de Notre-Dame. Aille. Ça fait mal.
Bonjour! Bienvenue a la bibliotheque. Zut alors! J'ai perdu les cles de ma voiture!

Old Posted May 8, 2016, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
Bonjour! Bienvenue a la bibliotheque. Zut alors! J'ai perdu les cles de ma voiture!
Yes, in a nutshell, I meant to say; Of all the places in Paris, you had to choose a Subway with that smell hanging in the air of something that doesn't remotely smell like bread. Everytime I walk by one I have to duck that awful chemical smell. To each his own.

Old Posted May 8, 2016, 10:56 PM
A gruff individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by montréaliste View Post
Yes, in a nutshell, I meant to say; Of all the places in Paris, you had to choose a Subway with that smell hanging in the air of something that doesn't remotely smell like bread. Everytime I walk by one I have to duck that awful chemical smell. To each his own.
Sorry... I had to use what little French I could remember.

I admit that I have a soft spot for Subway. I don't eat a lot of fast food, but I've had consistently pleasant experiences with them. They're my go-to for fast food, if I'm not in the mood for the other chain I frequent.

Old Posted May 9, 2016, 1:06 AM

Nice pictures! Between the statue of the guy taking a selfie, and the painting of the ttty twister, there's certainly some art that can be misinterpreted nowadays.

Old Posted May 9, 2016, 3:44 AM
A gruff individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Nice pictures! Between the statue of the guy taking a selfie, and the painting of the ttty twister, there's certainly some art that can be misinterpreted nowadays.
Heh heh... You said "titty twister."

Old Posted May 9, 2016, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
I am a Christian and I value my faith. Nevertheless, the sight of religious statuary making silly faces has more power to put me in a good mood than nearly anything else.

Feeling just the same in that essential matter. This is something usually disturbingly Catholic and kind of sadistic somehow, leading to wrong, vicious attitudes. Jesus is usually crucified with a sorry face. Meanwhile, they worship their holy virgin. Ludicrous. Ignorant and evil.

The reformed churches usually don't like that thing, and I'm just the same while I'm still a Roman Catholic only because the Roman church is the undeniable warrantor of our precious unity.

Jesus actually lived a happiest life, I believe. He nicely laughed, and quite a lot. Had some sweet sense of humor, and lived the most plentiful life anyone can dream of.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2019, 7:32 PM
A gruff individual.

In light of today's awful events in Paris, I wanted to bring this thread back. It has a couple of shots of Notre Dame.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 6:26 AM
if I sang out of tune

very poignant

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos