HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Apr 2, 2020, 1:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
And I don't understand why you think the economy will bounce back like if nothing happened within days of COVID-19 being contained (and who knows by when)? All the economic experts are pretty much saying this will trigger another recession plus the latest report from Goldman Sachs states GDP will shrink by 34% in Q2 plus unemployment will rise to 15% in the summer. They do note a surge in GDP in Q3 and hopefully that's accurate. Apart from the items exit2lef listed above, the economy will be shit and people will be too broke to fly. I agree that 2023 may be too far out but hopefully late 2021/early 2022 at the latest.
Because this is not a generalized lack of demand from an over-inflated asset like homes or some liquidity crisis.

This is artificially blocked demand. The overall economic forces from a month ago didn't change, we purposely are blocking them. This is closer to a wartime shock than it is a "depression". Think 1940 or 2001 not 1929 or 2008.

The biggest issue is small restaurants and retailer not being able to make it through but we'll see. The vast majority of the layoffs for now are restaurant and retail workers (I know not all but most). Unless this drags on under full shut down for months and months we should bounce back most of the "losses" fairly quickly. and by quickly I mean within the year.

If we can start opening up again by the summer then we might have a very sharp decline in 2nd q but then growth after that which would technically not even count as a recession.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2020, 5:53 PM
self-important urbanista

The AZ Supreme Court just ruled unanimously in Phoenix’s favor in the debate over rideshare fees at Sky Harbor.

https://ktar.com/story/3058572/arizo...ber-lyft-fees/

Old Posted Apr 3, 2020, 12:47 AM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Because this is not a generalized lack of demand from an over-inflated asset like homes or some liquidity crisis.

This is artificially blocked demand. The overall economic forces from a month ago didn't change, we purposely are blocking them. This is closer to a wartime shock than it is a "depression". Think 1940 or 2001 not 1929 or 2008.

The biggest issue is small restaurants and retailer not being able to make it through but we'll see. The vast majority of the layoffs for now are restaurant and retail workers (I know not all but most). Unless this drags on under full shut down for months and months we should bounce back most of the "losses" fairly quickly. and by quickly I mean within the year.

If we can start opening up again by the summer then we might have a very sharp decline in 2nd q but then growth after that which would technically not even count as a recession.
We have nearly 7 million unemployed now, the most ever by an order of magnitude. The unbridled optimism of a month ago was beaten with a stick.

It is ridiculous to think that people are just going to return to normal after having their lifelines cut off.

And this will continue for a long time. Even if shelter-in-place orders are lifted, you can think of that as a temporary measure until the next order. And it will keep hanging around until everyone is vaccinated.

The people downplaying this have been wrong every single time.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2020, 12:52 AM
Skyriser

And don't get me wrong, there will be dancing in the streets when we declare victory and people will haul off to Cabo or Maui or wherever after World War C and we'll boom again, but that day is unknown and likely very far off.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2020, 11:52 PM

I am not downplaying anything. I simply think its wrong to compare this situation to an "economic depression" because it isn't int he traditional sense.

And I fully expect it to take a while but its not going to be 10 years, its not going to be 3 years. Once the way through is realized things will begin ticking back on.

Of course lots of people will need to find new jobs over a several months but I still don't think this will result in a multi year economic malaise. Instead it will be sharp and extreme but (relatively) short

Old Posted Apr 5, 2020, 5:45 AM

AA to resumes PHX-LHR nonstop on October 7, 2020. Don't know about British Airways will resume nonstop LHR-PHX.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2020, 8:36 PM

Sky Harbor receives more than $147 million in federal relief funds

Much needed financial assistance provided to Sky Harbor

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...illion-in.html

Old Posted Apr 16, 2020, 3:31 AM

I know this is a Construction forum but how about some demolition pictures of Sky Harbor Terminal 2.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2020, 9:03 PM

According of AZ Family news.

Here's a link:

https://www.azfamily.com/news/slides...8e99ae.html#17

The entire T2 gates is demolished. Farewell! Goodbye and thank you.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2020, 12:15 AM
self-important urbanista

Uber and Lyft have now confirmed they will continue to operate at Sky Harbor. Although the development was overshadowed by the nonstop pandemic news, the Arizona Supreme Court rule unanimously in early April that Phoenix was within its rights to impose the new schedule of rideshare fees at the airport.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/trav...er/2999038001/

Old Posted Apr 24, 2020, 7:28 PM

Here’s some stats on flight traffic during the pandemic. PHX remains in the top 10 despite a lot of airports falling out to be replaced by others. Seems like most airports with ‘significant’ traffic are hubs for one of the major airlines. Most hubs seem to be down around 70% traffic wise.

Oddly enough - Billings MT had more flights than JFK recently...

https://jettip.net/blog/22-april-us-...traffic-report

Old Posted Apr 29, 2020, 2:34 AM

AA to resume 2 daily nonstop flight PHX-JFK. Begin on May 8, 2020.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...as-of-26apr20/

Old Posted May 12, 2020, 10:12 PM

Hi all,

This is final stage of eighth concourse. This is Southwest Airlines concourse. High D gates.

I just got a pics from Sky Harbor International Airport Facebook page.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2020, 2:53 AM

Southwest adds PHX-CUN
Press release may be wrong. I read they were booking from 3/11

Book Today: Southwest Airlines' Spring And Summer Schedules Take Off, Bringing Customers New Airports And Nonstop Routes Across The Map

NEWS PROVIDED BY

Southwest Airlines Co.
Dec 10, 2020, 11:03 ET

Quote:
NEW FLIGHTS TO INTERNATIONAL SITES
In April 2021, Southwest will add a third destination in Mexico nonstop from the carrier's newest international gateway, Phoenix. Effective April 12, 2021, the carrier will offer once daily nonstop service between Phoenix and Cancun, joining Southwest's existing service from Phoenix to both Cabo San Lucas and Puerto Vallarta.
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...301190605.html

Old Posted Dec 12, 2020, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azliam View Post
Southwest adds PHX-CUN
Press release may be wrong. I read they were booking from 3/11

Book Today: Southwest Airlines' Spring And Summer Schedules Take Off, Bringing Customers New Airports And Nonstop Routes Across The Map

NEWS PROVIDED BY

Southwest Airlines Co.
Dec 10, 2020, 11:03 ET

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...301190605.html
I’ve always found it strange we don’t have more direct flights to Mexican cities actually
1. Like 25% of the state is Mexican heritage or immigrants
2. Mexico is our largest trading partner
3. Millions of above national median income people in the Phoenix metro who take vacations

Old Posted Dec 12, 2020, 4:42 PM

Just the start

Quote:
I’ve always found it strange we don’t have more direct flights to Mexican cities actually
3. Millions of above national median income people in the Phoenix metro who take vacations
When the joint Mexico/US customs facility (the only inland one in the US) gets built at Phoenix-Mesa Gateway airport, I think that Mexico flights will get supercharged.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2020, 4:52 PM

Quote:
AA is launching both La Paz and Loreto next week, in addition they just added Culiacan starting in March. Chihuahua was added W19 but was cut when COVID hit.

You dont much traffic outside the beach destinations. The only inland destinations are Mexico City and Guadalajara. US Airways tried Monterrey in mid 2000's and didnt last long just like Chihuahua.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 11:57 PM
Modulator

Was walking downtown today when I heard a pretty big roar of a jet. Looked up and saw an Antonov 124 departing out of Sky Harbor. Checked my Flight Radar and it was headed straight to Leipzig, Germany.

Never seen one of these in person before and there's only slightly over 50 built. Was a treat to see flying over just South of downtown! Had I known, I would have got a video for everyone. Does anyone know why it was flying out of Sky Harbor? I can't find anything on Google.

Edit: Found my own answer. Expanded my Google search outside of Phoenix and found these are being used to transport the COVID vaccine.

Last edited by CrestedSaguaro; Dec 15, 2020 at 12:41 AM.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 8:30 PM

Taiwan Semiconductor suppliers announce plans to come to Arizona

Including this in the Aviation Thread because I think it's relevant.

Do you guys think the TSMC announcement and the swarm of TSMC suppliers coming to the Phoenix Metro Area will be the tipping point for an airline(s) to launch a non-stop flight from Phoenix to Asia (perhaps Taipei, Taiwan)?

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...suppliers.html
Quote:
Three Asian companies have reportedly announced plans to establish facilities in Arizona to supply Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. Ltd.'s forthcoming plant in Phoenix.

Taiwanese media reported that Chang Chun Petrochemical Co. Ltd., United Integrated Services Co. Ltd. and Mirle Automation Corp. each announced late last year that they intend to follow Taiwan Semiconductor (NYSE: TSM), which makes silicon chips for Apple Inc. and several other major technology companies, and expand into Arizona.

Chang Chun Petrochemical Co. Ltd., which is headquartered is Taipei, Taiwan, is a chemical supplier that creates resins and plastic additives. United Integrated Services Co. Ltd., which is headquartered Taipei, Taiwan, is an engineering consultant that builds out manufacturing facilities including clean-rooms and HVAC systems. Mirle Automation Corp., which is headquartered in Bangkok, Thailand, is an engineering company that helps set up automation processes and solar cell equipment in factories.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Including this in the Aviation Thread because I think it's relevant.

Do you guys think the TSMC announcement and the swarm of TSMC suppliers coming to the Phoenix Metro Area will be the tipping point for an airline(s) to launch a non-stop flight from Phoenix to Asia (perhaps Taipei, Taiwan)?

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...suppliers.html
I think Taiwan is a long shot. Outside of some business traffic probably very little demand exists. So it’s either connect in LA or a Tokyo route to connect to Taiwan.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest