HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Feb 20, 2020, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
^
this building probably won't be marketed to up tight families with kids....lol. Hopefully they are not serious...because it's a dumb idea.
ftfy.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2020, 3:46 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
ha ha...different folks, different strokes...no pun intended.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2020, 4:43 PM

Old Posted Feb 20, 2020, 5:28 PM

wow, I thought the Calder museum was dead as a door-nail. What a nice surprise! I suppose a cap over the expressway would be too much to ask, but I'm intrigued by the sanctuary/garden idea.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2020, 6:58 PM
Future World Dictator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skintreesnail View Post
wow, I thought the Calder museum was dead as a door-nail. What a nice surprise! I suppose a cap over the expressway would be too much to ask, but I'm intrigued by the sanctuary/garden idea.
On the other hand, I had completely forgotten there were ever plans for a Calder museum, so this is a very pleasant surprise. FWIW, I don't think we'll ever see 676 capped west of where the cap currently goes (unless they close off the little open bit east of 21st Street). It wouldn't really be feasible or make much sense given the combination of the on/off ramps, Park Town Place, and the bridge over the Schuylkill. Any money that ever gets freed up for more capping should go to capping it from 18th to 20th, then expanding east to Broad. Would also love to see them do something about the ramps that take up the entire block between Vine/Callowhill/15th/16th, but who knows what the solutions there could be.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2020, 7:14 PM

^^^ yeah, I know it's a pipe-dream, but I was hoping it would encourage capping down to at least 18th street. I really hate that offramp at 22nd; even though there's finally a signal light there, people just drive right through pedestrians there.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2020, 8:02 PM

While I would love for the whole thing to be capped I do not think it needs to be completely capped to connect areas north and south of 676. An example would be building storefronts over the highway that take up a much smaller section than an entire cap. A great example is in Columbus on High street over 670. Below is a street view of it.https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9738...192?authuser=1

I believe this could be done to great success on streets such as Broad Street to connect the growing North Broad Street and Center City!

Old Posted Feb 20, 2020, 8:16 PM

I think I remember someone posting that before in regards to capping 676. I'd take that as a compromise as the pedestrian experience is vastly improved. Not that the calder project would include anything like this, but I guess it might act as a buffer between 676 and the parkway. In any case, I'm excited to see what they come up with.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2020, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skintreesnail View Post
I think I remember someone posting that before in regards to capping 676. I'd take that as a compromise as the pedestrian experience is vastly improved. Not that the calder project would include anything like this, but I guess it might act as a buffer between 676 and the parkway. In any case, I'm excited to see what they come up with.
I agree I am excited to see what comes of this. And its only a matter of time, there are still plenty of parking lots that could be developed cheaper before capping projects. I mean there are 30 story buildings and a greyhound station above 95 in Washington Heights. Something will be done eventually...

Old Posted Feb 20, 2020, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish View Post
While I would love for the whole thing to be capped I do not think it needs to be completely capped to connect areas north and south of 676. An example would be building storefronts over the highway that take up a much smaller section than an entire cap. A great example is in Columbus on High street over 670. Below is a street view of it.https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9738...192?authuser=1

I believe this could be done to great success on streets such as Broad Street to connect the growing North Broad Street and Center City!
Wow. I've walked through that before and had no idea I was standing over a highway.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 4:26 AM

Progress in Love Park

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 5:24 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
The reno on this one seems to have taken forever. Maybe it will open this spring or more like this summer. The glass all around is nice.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 5:40 PM

Pew commits $2M grant for new Penn's Landing Park

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...ding-park.html

Quote:
The Delaware River Waterfront Corp. is launching an effort to raise a total of $6 million for a new 12-acre park that will be created at Penn’s Landing in Philadelphia.

Armed with a $2 million challenge grant from the Pew Charitable Trusts, DRWC is seeking to raise another $4 million to reach its financial goal. The money will be used to buy and plant trees, shrubs, flowers and other landscaping at the park, as well as outfitting play areas for children, a café and a performance space that will host concerts and other activities.

The new Park at Penn’s Landing is scheduled to open in 2024 and is part of a larger transformation underway along the Delaware River waterfront. The park will be created by a $225 million project that will cap off a portion of I-95 that separates Old City from the waterfront. Construction for the park is scheduled to begin in late 2021.

While the park is a significant part of the revitalization of the waterfront, so is developing two sites that are currently being used primarily as surface parking lots. Last October, DRWC issued a request for proposals for the development of two sites totaling 11 acres at Penn’s Landing. The two properties are near each other but not adjacent. They consist of: a parcel referred to as the Market Street site, which totals nearly eight acres from Market Street to Chestnut Street, and the Marina Basin site, which encompasses almost four acres between Spruce and Lombard streets adjacent to the Spruce Street Harbor Park.

The Market Street parcel is located next to the site of the new park.

The proposal process is aimed at enabling the waterfront corporation to choose a developer or multiple developers to oversee designing, building and maintaining a mixed-use development that fits within a master plan adopted in 2012 and the Penn’s Landing Feasibility Study. The development should complement existing cultural, commercial and residential development and public spaces along the river.

Proposals were due Feb. 7. DRWC said it received several responses but declined to disclose how many or provide a time frame for their evaluation.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boku View Post
Pew commits $2M grant for new Penn's Landing Park

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...ding-park.html
Comcast? They surely have the money.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2020, 3:30 PM

Will We See a Six Story Mixed-Use Building at York & Aramingo?

Read more here:
http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...-york-aramingo

Old Posted Mar 1, 2020, 3:30 PM

Apartment Building Rises Next to Wissahickon Septa Station, With Parking For Some Reason

Read more here:
http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...parking-reason

Old Posted Mar 1, 2020, 4:54 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Apartment Building Rises Next to Wissahickon Septa Station, With Parking For Some Reason

Read more here:
http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...parking-reason
Not a surprise to me, as most people still need a car. Also, very easy revenue for the property owner.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2020, 12:12 AM

2100 Hamilton

About to get above ground level.

-------------

Of all the city McMansions that have been built in the last 10-15 years, I think these guys really stand out, tucked behind The Alexander.

-phase 2:

Old Posted Mar 2, 2020, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
Not a surprise to me, as most people still need a car. Also, very easy revenue for the property owner.
especially up there. Just because its near RR doesnt mean no one needs a car. RR is set up to get people from outlying areas to CC and back again. If you don't work in CC using RR to commute isn't nearly as convenient. Many people that live in NW philly do not work in the city.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2020, 2:26 PM

Five firms shortlisted for 109-acre Navy Yard development

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...navy-yard.html

Quote:
Philadelphia Industrial Development Corp. has shortlisted five teams for the development of 109 acres at the Philadelphia Navy Yard.

The five were selected from more than 35 responses PIDC received in as part of a request for qualifications it issued last year for the land, which will involve the next phase of development of the Navy Yard. The teams will now submit proposals by May and PIDC hopes to have a master development agreement with one of the groups by year end.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development