HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Aug 3, 2020, 6:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Walston is perhaps best remembered as Satan in "Damn Yankees".
I was thinking "Mr. Hand" from "Fast Times".

Old Posted Aug 3, 2020, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillinGlendaleCA View Post
^^^
Classic--I must have had a brain f*RT to forget that one. He did help the stoner surfer (Spicoli?) played by Sean Penn to avoid an F & thus graduate. Classic scene where the surfer has a pizza delivered to the classroom. Mr. Hand takes it and eats a slice and shares the rest with with the class. Angry Spicoli calls him a "d*CK" and somehow avoids expulsion.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2020, 11:24 PM

CaliNative, re: Mencken's '26 L.A. trip, I found this...from the H. L. Mencken Collection - Enoch Pratt Free Library....

Portrait photograph taken November 19, 1926 of H. L. (Henry Louis) Mencken with friends in the courtyard of the Ambassador Hotel in Los Angeles, California. Standing from left to right are American film producer Walter Wanger (1894-1968); H. L. M.; and American writer John Hemphill (1891-1957)--the three appear to be examining the brain of writer Joseph Hergesheimer (seated center); and vice-president and editor of Photoplay magazine James R. (James Reddy) Quirk (1884-1932) (far right). Seated from left to right are American actor, playwright, producer, and director John Emerson (1874-1956), the husband of Anita Loos (in crib); American writer, critic and actress Helen Klumph (b. 1896); American writer Joseph Hergesheimer (1880-1954), who appears to be watching over a wedding cake; American film and stage actress Aileen Pringle (1895-1989), who was later rumored to be romantically involved with H. L. Mencken; and American film and stage actress May Allison (1890-1989), the wife of James Quirk. Lying in a baby's crib is actress, novelist, and screenwriter Anita Loos (1888-1981), John Emerson's wife, who claimed H. L. Mencken was the inspiration for her story Gentlemen Prefer Blondes.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 4:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riichkay View Post
CaliNative, re: Mencken's '26 L.A. trip, I found this...from the H. L. Mencken Collection - Enoch Pratt Free Library....

Portrait photograph taken November 19, 1926 of H. L. (Henry Louis) Mencken with friends in the courtyard of the Ambassador Hotel in Los Angeles, California. Standing from left to right are American film producer Walter Wanger (1894-1968); H. L. M.; and American writer John Hemphill (1891-1957)--the three appear to be examining the brain of writer Joseph Hergesheimer (seated center); and vice-president and editor of Photoplay magazine James R. (James Reddy) Quirk (1884-1932) (far right). Seated from left to right are American actor, playwright, producer, and director John Emerson (1874-1956), the husband of Anita Loos (in crib); American writer, critic and actress Helen Klumph (b. 1896); American writer Joseph Hergesheimer (1880-1954), who appears to be watching over a wedding cake; American film and stage actress Aileen Pringle (1895-1989), who was later rumored to be romantically involved with H. L. Mencken; and American film and stage actress May Allison (1890-1989), the wife of James Quirk. Lying in a baby's crib is actress, novelist, and screenwriter Anita Loos (1888-1981), John Emerson's wife, who claimed H. L. Mencken was the inspiration for her story Gentlemen Prefer Blondes.
Excellent! Thanks. NY had the Algonquin Round Table--LA the Ambassador Round Table. I wonder if HL was photographed with Sister Aimee? He did attend a service at Angeles Temple and said he was stirred by Sister Aimee. She was quite attractive. It must have been shortly after her "kidnapping" that summer, when some say she may have been on a romantic tryst in N. Cal. Was that ever proven? Wasn't there a trial about faking a crime? I vaguely recall an old TV movie about the scandal. I believe Faye Dunaway (!) was cast as Aimee. Chinatown indeed. Any good pics about Aimee and the scandal? Sister Aimee came through it OK (she must have been acquitted). I always wanted to attend a service at Angeles Temple and pretend I was a latter day Mencken but it wouldn't have been the same as seeing Aimee in action.She was quite a lady and did a lot of good.

Last edited by CaliNative; Aug 4, 2020 at 6:17 AM.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 6:27 AM

M-M Foods Market

Couldn't find a previous posting of this impressively huge market on the SE corner of Huntington and Fremont, according to Water and Power, but I am baffled by the location of the street markings (looks almost like a one-way street). How would that be Huntington Dr.? Unfortunately the destination sign on the right is just too dark to make out.

SE corner today.....same building maybe?

Can't make sense of it

Impressive display with proud shopkeepers

A rather Noirish (for South Pasadena anyway) look down the street.

More hi-res views here (HDL)

ETA:
1937 aerial (UCSB)

maybe the SW corner?

Last edited by ScottyB; Aug 4, 2020 at 7:53 AM.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 1:49 PM

I think your aerial is just a little early. Here's one from 1944 which appears to show a building matching M-M Foods in the original photo. The building currently on that corner seems to have the same footprint as the one below, so it could be the original remodeled.

mil.library.ucsb.edu

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
Couldn't find a previous posting of this impressively huge market on the SE corner of Huntington and Fremont, according to Water and Power, but I am baffled by the location of the street markings (looks almost like a one-way street). How would that be Huntington Dr.? Unfortunately the destination sign on the right is just too dark to make out.

SE corner today.....same building maybe?

Can't make sense of it
Love, love, love these photos. Thanks for posting them! Being that I live in South Pasadena, I love old photos of the area.

And, Huntington Drive used to consist of two, two-way roadways, one on either side of the Pacific Electric right-of-way, hence the road markings.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 4:36 PM

Hello,

I'm looking for a photograph of the northeast corner of N Bunker Hill and Sunset Boulevard (now Cezar Chavez Blvd). Here is a link to a painting by Fritz Kocher which I believe shows the the homes along the 600 block of N Bunker Hill.https://www.chairish.com/product/678...l-oil-painting

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 8:56 PM

Nice painting!

Fritz Kocher "Sunset Blvd. and Bunker Hill L.A. 1959"

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
There's a history of KGFJ (and other 24-hour stations) here ("Keeping Good Folks Joyful"). It looks like they moved to the Sunset address sometime around the end of World War II.

The demo permit for 6314 Sunset Boulevard was issued on February 18, 1965 where it's described as a "family residence".
Yes, it's gone in this 1965 LAPL image, HERE:

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 9:14 PM

Quote:
That must have been right before he co-starred with Ray Walston in "My Favorite Martian". Walston was a Martian who stays with Bixby after his flying saucer crashes and hilarity ensues.

Quote:
Walston is perhaps best remembered as Satan in "Damn Yankees".

He did win a Tony for that, too, as well as appeared in the film. And he won an Emmy for his role in Picket Fences. He was also "Luther Billis" in the South Pacific film. Love Ray Walston in almost anything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillinGlendaleCA View Post

Did you remember there was a very short-lived TV series of this (7 episodes) where he reprised this role?

He was in two Best Picture winners that are also two of my favorite films: The Apartment (1960) as Joe Dobisch and The Sting (1973) as J.J. Singleton.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagrudt View Post
The large house located at 6314 Sunset Blvd. was the long time home of KGFJ-AM 1230 radio during the '40's, '50's and early '60's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
Yes, it's gone in this 1965 LAPL image, HERE:

In the pic below you see the rear of 6314 Sunset Blvd. (KGFJ-AM)...Hmmm. . .if it's a radio station shouldn't there be a tall antenna somewhere in the back?

LAPL

This is also an excellent view of the air-rifle dude's opulent house.....Why, oh why, wasn't it saved!?! *pulls hair out*

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Aug 4, 2020 at 9:49 PM.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 9:21 PM

Thanks for the photo of H.L. Mencken in L.A., riichkay.

This guy was very prescient, nearly 100 years to the day:

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 11:19 PM

C'mon, folks: We come here to get away from politics.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 2:16 AM

Mencken's quote

I'm not here for politics, but I will point out that Mencken actually predicted, " . . . the White House will be adorned by a downright moron." No mention of narcissism.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riichkay View Post
Hollywood Blvd. at N. Kingsley Drive......the "EL ADOBE" font style on the present-day signage appears unchanged from the typeface on the 1930 shopping bag.
The shopping bag has a thin-ish font style with mild serifs like a Garamond, while the modern sign is thicker with blocky serifs like a Clarendon. Definitely not the same.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 4:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post
C'mon, folks: We come here to get away from politics.
True.
And I'm not a fan of 45.
This is not the place for politics.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 5:01 AM

delete

Last edited by CaliNative; Aug 5, 2020 at 5:17 AM.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 6:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

I think your aerial is just a little early. Here's one from 1944 which appears to show a building matching M-M Foods in the original photo. The building currently on that corner seems to have the same footprint as the one below, so it could be the original remodeled.

mil.library.ucsb.edu

Thanks HossC, and sopas ej! (South Pasadena is part of my home territory too. )

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Excellent! Thanks. NY had the Algonquin Round Table--LA the Ambassador Round Table. I wonder if HL was photographed with Sister Aimee? He did attend a service at Angeles Temple and said he was stirred by Sister Aimee. She was quite attractive. It must have been shortly after her "kidnapping" that summer, when some say she may have been on a romantic tryst in N. Cal. Was that ever proven? Wasn't there a trial about faking a crime? I vaguely recall an old TV movie about the scandal. I believe Faye Dunaway (!) was cast as Aimee. Chinatown indeed. Any good pics about Aimee and the scandal? Sister Aimee came through it OK (she must have been acquitted). I always wanted to attend a service at Angeles Temple and pretend I was a latter day Mencken but it wouldn't have been the same as seeing Aimee in action.She was quite a lady and did a lot of good.
Well, there is Elmer Gantry with Jean Simmons playing a Sister Aimee analogue. And I found this obscure movie from 2006...

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0384798/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

I had an elderly cousin who lived in West LA since the 1920's. When she died, she left me a lot of family heirlooms, including her father's Foursquare Gospel prayer book, complete with Aimee's autograph!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos