Old Posted May 2, 2016, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
1931 - Venice Boulevard meets Seventh Avenue
http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/co.../18630/rec/110

A

B

Ten hut!

California Military Academy, 4001 Venice Blvd. This institution seems to have moved quite a bit during its 58 year existence from 1906-1964. (Prior addresses include (1913) 1940 Lovelace. Looks like it eventually moved to 5300 Angeles Vista Blvd., (1936.)

C

D

E

F. Stairway to?

G.

H. Ouch

California Military Academy's impressive Santa Monica Campus
http://www.usgwarchives.net/ca/losan...ards/calma.jpg

See also https://books.google.com/books?id=5F...monica&f=false

More of the same Venice Blvd looking west from Seventh Avenue . . .

Undated
digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/p15799coll65/id/3948

Last edited by BifRayRock; May 2, 2016 at 7:48 PM.

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Boebert View Post
IBM cards were very useful objects to have around.
[...]
A common Christmas decoration in those days was a "wreath" made from IBM cards rolled into cones and glued in a circle.

Cheers,
Earl
Okay, I had to look that up!

http://www.shorpy.com/node/16685

It's noted that the decoartion contained near 100 IBM punch cards.

Someone wrote:
This reminds me of the last day before Christmas Break in college. Every year this guy would come in to the computer lab and submit a job with three drawers of punch cards. About 30 minutes later, the line printer would start playing Christmas carols. With harmony.

And there are other punch card decorations.

A candle holder:

A whole Christmas Tree! (400 IBM punch cards.)

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BifRayRock View Post

A 1934 Selfie - without the self?

May 1934 - Lincoln Blvd. south or Venice Blvd. (Please do not ticket! Notice seal on drivers door)
http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/si...oll65/id/25449

May '34 - Large structure in background?
I previously posted the picture of the driverless car in post #23880. The post includes a 1952 aerial view of the area which shows the building with the tower behind the car.

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 6:47 PM

Thought I remembered your post. Rediscovered it when looking for grandstand roof. Sorry.

Last edited by BifRayRock; May 2, 2016 at 7:49 PM.

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 7:07 PM

It's bound to happen now that we're nearing 1750 pages .

---------------

Thanks for your memories of the IBM Card Punch machines, Earl Boebert, and to Martin Pal for the IBM Christmas decorations.

---------------

How many Tishman buildings were there? These are Julius Shulman's pictures of the one at 3325 Wilshire Boulevard, which is diagonally opposite the Texaco Building that I posted yesterday. It's "Job 2268: Victor Gruen Associates, Tishman Building (Los Angeles, Calif.),1956".
NB. There's a lot of duplication and overlap in this set, so I've just picked a selection of images.

The first floor housed a branch of Citizen's National Bank, J Barth & Co (stock brokers), and Berliner's Cafe.

The building across the street was home to a Thrifty drug store and Frank & Joseph New York Hair Stylists. The Mona Lisa Restuarant is just out-of-shot. On the right of the foreground is the site of the Hellman mansion which GW showed us earlier today. This image dates from two years after the demo picture and one year before the Texaco Building was constructed. One of the contact prints has a wider view, but it also has a couple of creases, some sticky tape residue and the corner missing.

Like the Texaco Building, this one also has a parking lot on Catalina Street.

Here's the entrance.

The shape motif continues inside.

You could access the bank from the lobby.

I don't know which tenant this office belonged to.

It looks like McCann-Erickson had their reception desk right next to the elevators.

The set contains several empty office pictures - I've just picked this one.

The last Shulman picture shows the building at night.

All from Getty Research Institute

It's had a makeover at some point, but the building is still standing. Like the Texaco Building, there are "For Lease" signs on the offices.

GSV

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 7:11 PM
BANNED

[QUOTE=Earl Boebert;7427680
I spent many an hour at 026's at school and in the Air Force and believe me, those suckers were LOUD. The noise in that room must have been horrendous during working hours.

Cheers,

Earl[/QUOTE]

In my Navy enlisted time I was in charge of filing those cards into a bank of drawers that contained 65,000 IBM cards. Each sailor had his own card in that file.
I enjoyed the odd names such as: William Shot With Two Arrows, Bongo Bongo, Donald Duck, Boy Poteet and even a Mike Sailor.

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

How many Tishman buildings were there?

The last Shulman picture shows the building at night.

When I hear "Tishman" this is what comes to mind:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...51#post7341951

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 7:50 PM
Geologist and Historian

The photos of Santa Monica Blvd at Beverly Glen prior to the widening, with State Highway shields, should be 1934. US 66, from 1928 to 1935, ended in Downtown Los Angeles. It may (according to a 1935 map I have) ended at Eagle Rock Blvd and San Fernando Road (US 6/US 99). Either way, Santa Monica Blvd was originally signed as State Route 2 until US 66 was extended to Santa Monica in 1935. Funny how it became State 2 again after US 66 was eliminated.

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmaline View Post

When I hear "Tishman" this is what comes to mind:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...51#post7341951
There's also this Tishman Building on the corner of Wilshire and Flower.

Negatives of the Tishman building - 16 stories at 615 South Flower, 1961.

USC Digital Library

While looking through the USCDL, I also discovered this architectural model of the building I posted earlier.

Architectural model of a new 13-story Tishman Building to be located at 3325 Wilshire Boulevard, Los Angeles, 1955.

USC Digital Library

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmichael View Post
The photos of Santa Monica Blvd at Beverly Glen prior to the widening, with State Highway shields, should be 1934. US 66, from 1928 to 1935, ended in Downtown Los Angeles. It may (according to a 1935 map I have) ended at Eagle Rock Blvd and San Fernando Road (US 6/US 99). Either way, Santa Monica Blvd was originally signed as State Route 2 until US 66 was extended to Santa Monica in 1935. Funny how it became State 2 again after US 66 was eliminated.

Not to disagree
, but it is always possible that signage could literally be anachronistic - having never been removed or updated.

However, in support of your dates, note the "pre" and "post" widening advertising for Fox and 20th C Fox. That latter company was the product of two entities merging sometime in '35.

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
Here is part of the bas-relief. Nice to still see it.
[IMG]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

We've seen 2121 N San Fernando Road a couple of times before. It was originally built for the Hemphill Diesel Engineering Schools, and later used as a pressing plant for Capitol Records. There are lots of pictures in e_r's post #13288, and a nice shot of the whole front (below) in
Very cool--thanks guys!

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 4:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmichael View Post
The Eagle Rock Blvd. alignment of 66 was in use roughly from late 1934 to early 1936. It's known in the Route 66 community as the 'construction alignment', as it was a temporary bypass used during construction that disrupted the previous alignments. The City of LA had previously lobbied AASHO to make this a Route 66 alternate, with the plan being that 66A would end at the Eagle Rock/San Fernando intersection where it hit US99, so that may be partially what you're seeing on your map. However, this plan didn't meet AASHO's guidelines and was repeatedly denied.

The temporary construction alignment went west on Colorado St. out of Pasadena to Eagle Rock Blvd., then down to San Fernando Rd., then south on that road until it reached the existing alignment at Pasadena Avenue.

Regarding the pre- and post-widening of Santa Monica Blvd., BRR's links are a tad mislabeled. It's the pre-widening shot that is from January 31, 1935. The post-widening shot is from September 14, 1937:
http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/si...coll65/id/7074

And in fact 66 was officially extended to Santa Monica on 1/1/1936 so a shot from any time in 1935 should not show a 66 shield.

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 1:25 PM
Constanta City

The Lane-Wells Company headquarters in Los Angeles, CA, circa 1939

Chicago Art Deco Society - facebook

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetM View Post
Regarding the pre- and post-widening of Santa Monica Blvd., BRR's links are a tad mislabeled. It's the pre-widening shot that is from January 31, 1935. The post-widening shot is from September 14, 1937:
http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/si...coll65/id/7074

And in fact 66 was officially extended to Santa Monica on 1/1/1936 so a shot from any time in 1935 should not show a 66 shield.

Dates corrected.

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 7:12 PM

Today's Julius Shulman post takes us down to the harbor. It's "Job 3505: Kistner, Wright and Wright, Los Angeles (Calif.). Harbor Dept. Terminal, 1963". Notice the Vincent Thomas Bridge under construction in the background. That gap in the middle would've made Nicolas Cage's jump at the end of 'Gone in 60 Seconds' more interesting .

Here's a side view.

And a close-up of the stairs.

I've left out one of the interior shots. These two give a good idea of what it looked like.

The ships on the loading side look very different from what you'll find there today.

This last shot appears to have been taken in a cargo warehouse.

The facility now seems to be called the World Cruise Center.

Bing Maps

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN-CONSTANTA View Post
The Lane-Wells Company headquarters in Los Angeles, CA, circa 1939

Chicago Art Deco Society - facebook
This is one of our favorite buildings on NLA urban-constanta.

Here's a view of the Lane-Wells that also shows the neighboring north building. (this has been posted once before on NLA)

http://hdl.huntington.org/cdm/compou.../id/6611/rec/3

Best of all, they're both still standing and in fine shape.

GSV

I've enlarged this 1956 aerial a bit, and circled the Lane-Wells buildings.

http://jpg1.lapl.org/00099/00099207.jpg / BifRayRock

You can see additional images in a post by BRR.
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=22781

GW posted scenes from the 'Chinatown' sequel "The Two Jakes" that were filmed at the Lane-Wells.
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=5896

HossC posted about numerous art deco buildings, the last being the Lane-Wells.
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=21125

I'm glad urban-constanta posted the Lane-Wells photograph, when I revisited S. Soto street I noticed another fine example of art deco architecture just a block or so south.

The Huntington Park High School.

GSV

close-up. -something very pleasing about this entrance.

detail

I believe the hanging lamp might be original.

Westover Hall at Huntington Park High School.

GSV

No doubt Westover Hall is the school's auditorium. I was expecting the same hanging light fixtures in each of the doorways.

below:

I've circled Lane-Wells in red at left.....the red arrows at right point to the two bldgs. at H.P.H.S.

google_earth

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 4, 2016 at 12:48 AM.

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 12:12 AM

While snooping around the Huntington Park/Walnut Park area I happened across this 'round' building on the southwest corner of Florence and Marbrisa Avenues.

GSV

Do you suppose this is an old 'mimetic' building? -perhaps one of the 22 Chili-Bowls in 1930s Los Angeles area.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/123567...=0&w=500&h=356

Here's another view showing the building behind.

GSV

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 4, 2016 at 12:49 AM.

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 12:27 AM

Out on the town in war-time Los Angeles.

eBay

my gosh, what a young looking couple!

eBay

I believe those are 'Victory Rolls' in the ladies' hairdo.

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 4, 2016 at 12:50 AM.

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 2:03 AM

These Julius Shulman B&W photos are amazing.
I love the clean, mid-Century interiors and the furnishings.

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 7:05 PM

Here's a familiar building - Lytton Savings on Sunset Boulevard. These photos were taken by Julius Shulman in 1960. This is "Job 3021: Kurt Meyer, Lytton Savings and Loan Association (Los Angeles, Calif.), 1960". The set is a mixture of color and black & white pictures from which I've chosen nine (of 41). On the right of this first shot is the Plush Pup, with the Colonial House on Havenhurst Drive behind it.

This detail from another image shows Pandora's.

Here's the side entrance to the drive-in teller. The wall with the zigzag pattern is still there, but the rear parking lot seems to have been redesigned within a few years (going by Historic Aerials), and this entrance was removed.

I can't see this domed structure on the old aerial views, but the area where it stood was a parking lot by the late-80s. Other than a large book, what's in the case? Is this the model of the Garden of Allah? One of the black & white images has a slightly better view, but it's still difficult to tell what's inside.

I've mainly gone for color pictures of the interior, but this one of the upper floor was only available in black & white. For Lwize, and anyone else who's a fan of monochrome images, the link at the end will take you to the black & white interior shots at full-resolution.

The interior was an interesting mix of colors and modern art.

The final image shows the office of the vice president, Maurie Starrels.

We've seen Lytton Savings many times before, so I won't bother with a "now" image, but I will remind you of Martin Pal's post from February which includes a picture on the what may replace it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos