HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jul 4, 2009, 12:55 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
I'm not a New Yorker, so forgive my ignorance, but I've always wondered what exactly these were, these striped pipes with the sawhorses beside them in the middle of the street that spew steam--- so what are they?
They are an important part of the New York City infrastructure, but here's a quick answer:

http://en.allexperts.com/q/New-York-...team-Pipes.htm

Quote:
Some 30 billion pounds of steam every year flow beneath the streets of Manhattan from the Battery to 96th Street. While it is unknown to most New Yorkers, Con Edison's subterranean steam system is the biggest steam district in the world. There are 7 plants in NYC -- five in Manhattan and one each in Queens and Brooklyn. On a cold winter day, nearly 10 million pounds of steam at 350 degrees Fahrenheit flow each hour through 105 miles of underground mains. Steam is efficient and cost effective for high-rise buildings and most of it is used for heating and cooling.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2009, 1:04 AM

I see, so NYC uses steam to heat its buildings and such... very interesting. Although, I still don't know they would have to remove manhole covers and put pipes over them? Does this better ventilate the steam, and isn't that a nuisance to traffic?

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jul 11, 2009, 9:19 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
I still don't know they would have to remove manhole covers and put pipes over them? Does this better ventilate the steam, and isn't that a nuisance to traffic?
There's always ongoing work. The system is very old, and much like other aging parts of the city's infrastructure, requires constant maintenance. This came to an explosive head a couple of years ago when it looked like a bomb had gone off in Midtown.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2009, 12:24 PM
New Yorker for life

Last edited by NYguy; Jul 13, 2009 at 12:37 PM.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 6:04 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Aug 12, 2009, 12:23 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Aug 13, 2009, 10:09 PM

i can not wait til i go on saturday now!! it seems like it might be a bit overwhelming though!

Old Posted Aug 17, 2009, 11:35 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
i can not wait til i go on saturday now!! it seems like it might be a bit overwhelming though!
It's a lot to take in, but really not overwhelming. Just enjoy yourself and take lots of pics!

Old Posted Aug 22, 2009, 12:37 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Set from RGP

J Blough

I've seen this character around in that area, wonder if it's the same guy lurking the streets...this one looks like he has seen better days.

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/..._times_sq.html

What the h-Elmo, man? Surly man dressed as 'Sesame Street' character hassles Times Square tourists

'Elmo,' who demanded tips for a photo outside Planet Hollywood, wasn't happy when a Daily News reporter and photographer approached.

The 'Elmo' imposter then attempted to grab our photographer's camera, but failed, only to apologize a few moments later.

BY Matt Lysiak and Leo Standora
August 22nd 2009

Elmo no like tourists, tightwads - or photographers.

At least a rogue version of the lovable "Sesame Street" character hassling passersby outside Planet Hollywood in Times Square Friday night didn't.

The dirty and creepy character demanded money from people and, when he didn't get it, swore and jostled them.

"No picture. No picture. You have to tip Elmo. You have to tip Elmo or Elmo gets angry," the imposter shouted as he stuck a filthy red paw over a Texas tourist's camera lens.

"What the hell, Elmo? Keep your hands to yourself," shouted Victoria Vought, 47, pulling away.

Wide-eyed at the loud to-do, Vought's son, Dylan, 4, asked, "What's wrong with Elmo, Mommy?"

"That's not the real Elmo. That's a bad Elmo," she quickly explained.

The explanation stuck because any kid will tell you the real Elmo, a furry red monster with large white eyes and an orange nose, is very upbeat and giggles a lot. And he's clearly not grungy.

Friday night's cut-rate imitation nearly got his orange nose bloodied by Ken Ross, a 32-year-old insurance agent from New Mexico, after he grabbed at Ross' camera.

"It's just a picture. Don't be rude, and don't touch me," Ross warned, adding, "Somebody should rap you."

The phony's temper finally got the best of him when a Daily News reporter and photographer tried to find out who he was.

He angrily lunged at the photographer but came up empty and then apologized.

"Look man, Elmo needs to make a living, too," he said.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2009, 10:45 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 11:21 PM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

Those pictures almost give you a real sense of what it's like to be there and all of the different types of people you might see.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2009, 2:47 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelingman04 View Post
Those pictures almost give you a real sense of what it's like to be there and all of the different types of people you might see.
That's what I love about these photographers and the photos they take. They have a real feel for the streets. Manhattan has several public squares/plazas where you can do people watching, but really any street will do. I think that's mostly due to the fact that New Yorkers - particularly in Manhattan and large parts of the other boroughs - must spend at leat part of their day on the street, whether going to work, shopping, the park, or just generally being outdoors. Summer, winter, spring, or fall, it's always the same. I think the streets are what really give New York it's energy. I know it does for me.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2009, 1:05 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Oct 3, 2009, 7:12 PM

Hmm. I think that's the first time I've ever seen the top of a gas station.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2009, 7:32 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 11:37 PM
New Yorker for life

Just had to add this one...

koalayummies

Old Posted Oct 10, 2009, 11:35 PM
New Yorker for life

PRMaria

_____

Check this one out also...largest version

Old Posted Oct 15, 2009, 6:38 AM
New Yorker for life

More from one of my favorites, Ed Yourdon

Another set from Ed Yourdon

Old Posted Nov 9, 2009, 5:18 PM
dream fast

^Great pics, love the energy.^

Old Posted Dec 24, 2009, 11:06 PM

ART!! more please

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos