HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Feb 10, 2007, 6:32 PM

very cool !

Old Posted Feb 11, 2007, 4:22 AM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

Very nice. When I go to NYC, I usually park in Newark and ride the PATH train into town.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2007, 2:43 PM
Reach for the Clouds

Newark is always interesting.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2007, 5:20 PM
SkyscraperSunset.com

Thanks, like everyone said, it's good to see more of Newark.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2007, 12:37 AM

i used to think "newark" was how the east coasters pronounced "new york" ..i did'nt even realise it was an entirely differant city

anyways, great pics of a city i had almost forgotten about

Old Posted Feb 12, 2007, 9:27 PM

One of the highest rates of cancer in the country because of all the refineries.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2007, 10:03 PM

couple more i have

Military Park

Basilica Of The Sacred Heart

Old Posted Feb 12, 2007, 10:14 PM

Cool photos.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2007, 11:25 PM

Nice tour of a very under represented city!

When I lived in New Jersey 15 years ago, we'd go into Ironbound every now and then for dinner. They had lots of pretty good Spanish restaurants along Ferry Street (or Market Street). It felt safe back then and was just on the other side of the RR tracks from DT. That may be another place to check out!

Old Posted Feb 13, 2007, 1:59 AM
D-Block 5 Star General

^ Yeah that Portuguese food is great, i take pictures of the food when I go

Old Posted Feb 13, 2007, 2:21 AM
D-Block 5 Star General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerrard View Post
One of the highest rates of cancer in the country because of all the refineries.
Source?

Is this some Jersey myth you heard from your neighbors who drove through on the turnpike? because I went to wikipedia, google, and City-data.com and found nothing except:

Newark black men had age-adjusted cancer rates comparable to those of Washington, D. C., but lower than the other three American city blacks. Rates for Newark black women were generally similar to other American black women. American blacks, like those of Newark, had cancer rates higher than the African blacks in three out of four countries studied. Only blacks of Rhodesia had cancer experience like that of American blacks. Except for cancer of the cervix, the African blacks had generally lower rates compared to the American blacks for the ten sites investigated. However, high rates did occur for certain sites, e.g., esophagus and bladder cancers in Bulawayo, Rhodesia. Newark blacks also had higher rates for certain sites (prostate, lung, breast and cervix) compared to Washington, D. C., and certain other U. S. cities. Thus, the total risk of malignancies to develop among Newark blacks was no greater than that expected, based upon the four U. S. cities' experience.
_______
Which bascially means the cancer rates in Newark are about normal. This is from the National Library of Medicine and the National Institute of Health. This was a national and international comparison so I guess the 3 cities they didnt mention are in the U.S. and Africa.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2007, 11:20 AM

My birthplace is looking good. I will always love Newark. So many great memories as a kid growing up there. I remember my first day of kindergarden at Maple Avenue School. Thanks for the memories.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2007, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsonic View Post
there's a subway in Newark?
It sure does! The only subway system in New Jersey. Like everyone said, great potential and hopefully the new Devils arena will foster some of the revitalization.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2007, 5:43 PM
Old Fart Forumer

^ just curious. Are there going to be some associated parking structures with the new arena? Seems to be located in a fairly dense area from the looks of the pic.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Feb 13, 2007, 6:37 PM

Newark is one of those cities that is better than its reputation. It will get better, too. So close to all that pricey Manhatten real estate! What an enviable place to be.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2007, 7:11 PM
RePpiN GR sTreeTz !

Why do people say it smells bad? I've never noticed any weird smells in that area....

-FerrariEnzo is the coolest forumer ever.

[>>]-Grand Rapids Boom Rundown-[<<]

Old Posted Feb 13, 2007, 7:23 PM
Do you like... Huey Lewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by soleri View Post
Newark is one of those cities that is better than its reputation. It will get better, too. So close to all that pricey Manhatten real estate! What an enviable place to be.
I beg to differ. While I was pleasantly surprised the first time I was through the Ironbound, Newark absolutely deserves its reputation. Outside of its 9-5 office district downtown and a few government-sponsored "culture" projects, there ain't much there. It's pretty much Detroit- miles and miles of bombed out early 20th century tract housing, brownfields, grayfields, empty factories the size of cathedrals. Harrison will probably end up becoming the place to move, since its currently basically a blank slate with a PATH station in the middle of it, and without Newark's corrupt, stagnant government, it will probably be easier to redevelop. The Ironbound is a fairly well-kept Spanish/Italian/Portugese neighborhood, but it's small- Elizabeth and New Brunswick have more street life. Some of the vacant land is filling back in with low-income housing, but it generally just a modern version what Jane Jacobs would call the "gray areas" that made up most of Newark back in the day- vinyl two-flats with a garage on the first floor, set back from the street, no retail, doomed to fail as they age.

Dowtown Newark will probably come back, it's well set up to do so, and some of the 1920s office towers near Penn Station are already being converted to condos. But a lot of the rest of the city basically need to be rebuilt from scratch, and so far they're doing a bad job with that.

The Newark City Subway is actually pretty interesting. It was built in an old canal bed that was roofed over to create Raymond Boulevard. It was built as a subway-surface trunk for trolleys, like the Green Lines in Philly or Boston. The surface routes were discontinued a long time ago, but the ramps still remain, and maybe one day they can be rebuilt if the city fills in right. They recently opened a surface extension to the DL&W Broad Street station that also serves the baseball stadium.

I guess my point is, Newark does indeed have a lot of potential, but it's a couple decades before it's going to approach anything close to 'healthy'.
"I'm exceedingly pro-growth, but I have to respectfully dissagree. Growth is not the holy grail, smart growth is. Uncontrolled, careless growth which ends up creating problems in the long run is called cancer." -Eigenwelt

Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2007, 7:24 PM
furified freestyle

nice pictures. i just passed through newark on sunday.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2007, 2:02 AM
BANNED

great job!!!i like it when people are educated and realize what a great city newark is...briefly...it is americas third oldest large city...it has a functioning subway...a major airport most cities envy(although it outgrew itself)..a major seaport,one of the nations busiest...one on the nations busiest train stations...great architecture throughout the entire city with an abundance of mid and high rises making for a beautiful skyline...jersey city is also an awesome skyline!!!

Old Posted Jun 23, 2007, 5:04 AM
Future God

Bang Bang! Newark kills.

-Bob Marley

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos