HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jun 27, 2020, 4:23 AM
Explorateur urbain

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
Just a beautiful city. Montreal is amazing. Thanks for sharing these pics.

Btw I had no clue that orca whales swam down the St. Lawrence to Montreal. Pardon my ignorance, but I actually thought the St. Lawrence was a freshwater river at Montreal.
It was a humpback whale, much much bigger than an orca whale.

And yes the St.Lawrence is a freshwater river in Montreal - the salinity starts a little bit past Quebec City, 250km downstreams from Montreal.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by begratto View Post
It was a humpback whale, much much bigger than an orca whale.

And yes the St.Lawrence is a freshwater river in Montreal - the salinity starts a little bit past Quebec City, 250km downstreams from Montreal.
If it's a freshwater river in Montreal, how/why is there a humpback whale?

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 9:01 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

whales are pretty snoopy, especially humpbacks. not surprizing that they make it to montreal on occasion. i can't imagine they hang around long unless they are sick though. or maybe humpbacks can handle freshwater better than other whale species? i dk.

whales have been seen as far north on the hudson as cohoes, a town north of albany, too. thats the same distance as quebec to montreal. the hudson is much different that the st lawrence though, its not even really a river, its a tidal estuary and the water stays brackish from the ocean i think most of the way north.

i've seen whales around in ny harbor and in the hudson. i don't get north of dobbs ferry too often, so i dk how regular they are seen north of there. there was news last year of a major uptick in whale sighting in the area though. i would hope it is because the bay and the hudson are getting cleaner by the day and not because because the whales are stressed for some reason.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
whales are pretty snoopy, especially humpbacks. not surprizing that they make it to montreal on occasion. i can't imagine they hang around long unless they are sick though. or maybe humpbacks can handle freshwater better than other whale species? i dk.

whales have been seen as far north on the hudson as cohoes, a town north of albany, too. thats the same distance as quebec to montreal. the hudson is much different that the st lawrence though, its not even really a river, its a tidal estuary and the water stays brackish from the ocean i think most of the way north.

i've seen whales around in ny harbor and in the hudson. i don't get north of dobbs ferry too often, so i dk how regular they are seen north of there. there was news last year of a major uptick in whale sighting in the area though. i would hope it is because the bay and the hudson are getting cleaner by the day and not because because the whales are stressed for some reason.
I had no clue! The more you know...

To bring it back to Montreal, I'm glad to see some photos of the Japanese garden. I love the old Olympic tower, biosphere, and the gardens around it. The tower and stadium complex is delightfully 70s futurism, though a little rundown. I like that the Montreal subway also has that 70s modern vibe.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 10:35 PM

Unfortunately, that whale was hit by a ship and died, after jumping out of the water around the city for many days for our great pleasure

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 11:09 PM

^ Ouais, c'est triste... Fait chier.

Whales are innocent creatures.
We're not.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2020, 3:17 PM
The Vomit Bag.

This thread is crack cocaine to an ex-Montrealer like me. i miss my hometown.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2020, 3:20 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franktko View Post
Unfortunately, that whale was hit by a ship and died, after jumping out of the water around the city for many days for our great pleasure

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos