HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 8, 2017, 1:53 AM
tilted & shifted

Last edited by i_am_hydrogen; Apr 8, 2017 at 2:44 AM.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2017, 2:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Hm, I have a feeling you live in my old building. This was the exact same view I had in my unit (well almost) Nice shot.
This pic is from 8 West Chestnut. A friend of mine lives there, and I would fight to the death to have her place. Haha she has amazing South and East views.

Thanks!

Old Posted Apr 8, 2017, 11:21 AM

^^Hydro, are you back at 300 LaSalle? Or maybe you never left. Fantastic timing for a picture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Only the ComEd substations in the heart of the business district are roofed: Dearborn & Ontario, Block 37, Quincy & Franklin, State & Lake. Most others are screened but open to the sky for ventilation: this one, Desplaines & Polk, Harrison & Financial, 15th & State, Congress & Plymouth. All the saber-rattling during the 2000s about ComEd's reliability and a city takeover made Exelon anxious to invest in new central city capacity, including a new 233KV transmission line that runs under State Street from 63rd to 9th and then west under Dearborn Park etc. They're unlikely to give up an existing substation to development.
After a hunting Waldo sort of romp through Google's aerial images, I think the Harrison one must be enclosed, or else uses transformers disguised as Chevrolets. Also, is the Quincy one inside the parking garage structure? That would impact how a future tower redevelopment there would work (I remember a boxy proposal by SOM there from the end of the 1980s but don't know what the footprint was).

Anyway, I guess I should have said infrastructure encyclopedia rather than mere historian, as that was an impressive list. I feel I'm now also curious about how many district chilling stations we have downtown (I can think of two), but it's not exactly the best thread for it so will just have to hold off for now.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2017, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanChi92 View Post
This pic is from 8 West Chestnut. A friend of mine lives there, and I would fight to the death to have her place. Haha she has amazing South and East views.

Thanks!
Yep. That was my old building as of a few months ago. It had great views. My bedroom looked east and I could see part of the lake along with some great high rises and then my living room had the view you took

Old Posted Apr 8, 2017, 2:21 PM
Urbane observer

ComEd substations

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
I think the Harrison [substation] must be enclosed . . . is the Quincy one inside the parking garage structure?
Oops. I meant the one on LaSalle near Polk. The one at 327 S Franklin, like the one at 10 E Lake, is primarily a CTA feeder, but as transformers and DC converters have gotten smaller and cooler-running, I'm pretty sure ComEd has squeezed some regular commercial distribution equipment in there as well.

I can only think of two district chilling stations, plus McCormick Place's plant (in the reconstructed Platt Luggage Bldg, just north of the Hyatt).

Old Posted Apr 8, 2017, 5:20 PM
THAT Guy

Amazing photo of 150 and River Point.

---

Quote:
16-story tower planned for Sherman
By Bill Smith on April 7, 2017 - 5:36pm

Evanston zoning officials this week received a proposal from a developer to build a 16-story building that would occupy most of the west side of Sherman Avenue in the block between Lake and Grove streets downtown.

A summary of the proposal contained in a weekly zoning update issued this afternoon says the developers are proposing a project that would have first-floor commercial, 298 dwelling units and 192 parking spaces.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2017, 5:25 PM
The City

Looks like Evanston and Hyde Park are having a bit of a high rise development contest.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2017, 6:30 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
Gorgeous shot!

All we need now is the block bounded by Canal, Fulton, and the Ogilvie tracks to be developed in order to fully frame in the river when looking west.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2017, 2:39 AM
Chicago

Alta Roosevelt - 801 S Financial

April 7, 2017

Old Posted Apr 9, 2017, 2:40 AM
Chicago

750 N Hudson

April 7, 2017

3Eleven - 311 W Illinois under construction ^

Old Posted Apr 9, 2017, 2:41 AM
Chicago

Simpson Querrey Biomedical Research Center

April 7, 2017

Old Posted Apr 9, 2017, 2:42 AM
Chicago

Shirley Ryan AbilityLab - Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago (RIC)

April 7, 2017

Old Posted Apr 9, 2017, 1:17 PM
BANNED

Groovy sign.

Hydrogen that shot is epic.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2017, 4:21 PM
Chicago

Aloft Chicago Mag Mile - 237 E Ontario

March 27, 2017

April 7, 2017

Old Posted Apr 9, 2017, 4:22 PM
Chicago

Hotel EMC2 - 228 E Ontario

April 7, 2017

Old Posted Apr 9, 2017, 4:22 PM
Chicago

150 North Riverside

April 7, 2017

Old Posted Apr 9, 2017, 6:51 PM

That glass on the hotel is really cool.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2017, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
The one at 327 S Franklin,
Now I'm curious whether the southern two blocks of the Loop ever had named east-west alleys/streets, like all the others between there and the main branch. I don't suppose there was a Gladys right here? Or were there never any rights of way laid down there?
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
16-story tower planned for Sherman
By Bill Smith on April 7, 2017 - 5:36pm
This even preserves the somewhat vintage Evanston-y building, and Bangers & Lace etc., on the Grove side, while replacing almost entirely forgettable stuff. Two dozen comments to the article include some nimby sentiment worried mainly about the loss of the other pubs there, as if there isn't available retail space in the area. How about take the win with this unique design that even preserves the general sidewalk character.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2017, 1:03 PM

Atrium Villiage

Apr 7
Starting to poke up over the neighbors.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2017, 2:10 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
This even preserves the somewhat vintage Evanston-y building, and Bangers & Lace etc., on the Grove side, while replacing almost entirely forgettable stuff. Two dozen comments to the article include some nimby sentiment worried mainly about the loss of the other pubs there, as if there isn't available retail space in the area. How about take the win with this unique design that even preserves the general sidewalk character.
100% greed.

the existing buildings this new evanston proposal would replace are very forgettable (even if the the tommy nevins building is nice enough) single story retail buildings and a surface parking lot. and the only nice building on the block, the vintage 2-story brick building on the NE corner, is the one they're saving. win-win-win!

the proposed site lies DIRECTLY across the street from an existing 13 story hotel, 1 block south of an existing 18 story office building, and directly abuts the large el/metra embankment to the west, so i'm afraid that the usual evanston NIMBY knee-jerk complaints of a 16 story residential building being "too big for the area" are in fact utterly ridiculous in this case.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations