HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 4:42 PM

Oooh, this is an interesting prospect for the old Sports Authority that Curbed found

Redevelopment plan for River North’s vacant Sports Authority revealed
Quote:
For a tenant or tenants with more immediate occupancy requirements, Next Realty is prepared to gut and redevelop the existing loft-style building and its roughly 10,000-square-foot floor plates. A second, more ambitious, option would involve the construction of an all new build-to-suit office tower that could rise as high as 17 stories, according to a release from the property owner.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 5:34 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
Oooh, this is an interesting prospect for the old Sports Authority that Curbed found

I'm glad it sounds like office space. I'd like River North to add some if for no other reason than to hope that someday I can work a 10 minute walk from home again like when my office was in the Mart.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post

Not bad. Didn't Nike propose to turn this one into a flagship "Air-Jordan" store a few years back? I love renovations but this is a prime spot for a new luxery high rise. And that hopefully would give a kick in the butt to developers to take over that shipwreck acrooss the street, aka mcdonalds. Well, maybe in the next cycle?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 6:05 PM

3-8-17

Was waiting for a nice crystal clear day, though I should have brought my wife's new camera with the zoom lens. Will do that soon.
From the top floor of my new office in Oak Brook. Will have a great view of the new south Loop action when those towers start to rise.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 6:15 PM

^ Man, from North Ave to about 25th St, the full downtown skyline is nothing short of impressive.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 6:30 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
3-8-17

Was waiting for a nice crystal clear day, though I should have brought my wife's new camera with the zoom lens. Will do that soon.
From the top floor of my new office in Oak Brook. Will have a great view of the new south Loop action when those towers start to rise.

GREAT shot! And great vantage point. Would love to see more shots from this view again.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 6:55 PM

151 N. Franklin / the new CNA Center and 215 W. Lake / Linea. Photo taken on Franklin Street around noon today (3/8):

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 10:19 PM

^ I've seen the future and it consists primarily of glass cubes... I like glass cubes...

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 4:10 AM
Chicago

Homewood Hilton - 1101 S Wabash

March 8, 2017

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 4:10 AM
Chicago

1136 S Wabash

March 8, 2017

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 6:25 AM
Biased in a good way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post

Quote:
Hank Goldman, president of the condo association at Sherman Plaza, 807 Davis St., now the city's second-tallest building, said the new project "would wreak havoc with traffic" in the nieghborhood and predicted it would create "horrendous wind problems" as the new tower interacted with other tall buildings in the area.

"It will make wind tunnels all through Evanston," Goldman claimed.

Jeanne Lindwall, who lives nearly a mile from the site, at 625 Library Place, said the proposed building is "just too big" and "out of scale with the surrounding area."
The horror.

*out of scale with the 22 story highrise it would be next to, she means?

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 1:09 PM

1) New construction permit for the foundation of a new hotel at 243 E Ontario over the old MCA was issued yesterday. Permit lists 18 stories and 336 rooms which is a reduction of 6 stories and 59 rooms from when Curbed wrote about it in December 2015.

2) New construction permit for the foundation of the residential addition at 676 N LaSalle was issued yesterday for 149 apartments. Source say 7 stories, but the permit says high rise, so it might be tall enough to count as a high rise.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 1:32 PM

Excellent news!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
1) New construction permit for the foundation of a new hotel at 243 E Ontario over the old MCA was issued yesterday. Permit lists 18 stories and 336 rooms which is a reduction of 6 stories and 59 rooms from when Curbed wrote about it in December 2015.

2) New construction permit for the foundation of the residential addition at 676 N LaSalle was issued yesterday for 149 apartments. Source say 7 stories, but the permit says high rise, so it might be tall enough to count as a high rise.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Does the new height match the latest design iteration we saw (the not great one)?

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 2:28 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally it was supposed to be eight stories. The apartment count hasn't changed, though, so I wonder why the source says 7?

The gutting of the existing building on the site is either complete or pretty close to complete. The roof is off (they're expanding existing building upwards, too).

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 2:34 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Exhibit "Park"

This is apparently what Alderman Reilly thinks "access" to a "park" should be when he "negotiates" it at Exhibit:

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 2:34 PM
The City

^ Wow and correct me if I'm wrong but the Wells St side of that same block is about to start construction of a high rise as well.

Strange how the middle blocks in River North (Clark, Dearborn) have "sat this boom out" so to speak while blocks further west get built out.

It's all because of Hard Rock Cafe, McDonald's and Rainforest Cafe. Why the fuck are these places so damn popular when you can find them at any damn mall?

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 2:36 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
This is apparently what Alderman Reilly thinks "access" to a "park" should be when he "negotiates" it at Exhibit:

Was this supposed to ever be a public park?

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Wow and correct me if I'm wrong but the Wells St side of that same block is about to start construction of a high rise as well.
Not only that, but the body shop on the southeast corner of the block is supposed to be torn down to make way for the Bentham condo development. This block is going to be completely transformed from what it currently is

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 4:30 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Was this supposed to ever be a public park?
It was supposed to be accessible to the public in the same way the park at Franklin and Institute is - privately owned and operated, with a gate, but available to the public essentially during daylight hours. I think the Alderman actually compared it to the pocket park at Orleans and Superior, too, which is even ungated so available to the public at all times despite posted hours.

If it's not accessible to the public, I see no point to having broken the streetwall for it. I don't think it was the developers' initiative to add it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations