HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 3:41 PM
Show me the blueprints

Well in the meantime you should probably move to Brooklyn

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 5:24 PM

^ I work in Bayside. Sadly he suffers so that I may enjoy my 25 minute commute.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2019, 3:01 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Old Posted Oct 28, 2019, 1:26 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

the pa funds lga airtrain and newark airtrain:

Port Authority approves billions for airport rail projects

Board members moved to fund new AirTrains at LaGuardia and Newark airports

By Caroline Spivack Oct 25, 2019, 2:00pm EDT

The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey is pushing ahead with plans to build a long-awaited AirTrain to LaGuardia Airport.

At a Thursday board meeting, the authority green-lighted more than $2 billion for the 1.5-mile-long project and another $2 billion to rebuild the AirTrain at Newark Liberty Airport.

Board members also approved $445 million for construction and planning work at John F. Kennedy International Airport, which is about to undergo a massive, multi-billion dollar overhaul, and another $35 million toward work to replace a terminal at Newark’s airport.

more:
https://ny.curbed.com/2019/10/25/209...train-projects

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 1:58 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

celebrating the new lga delta terminal

https://www.amny.com/news/soaring-ap...ction-project/

the gov sez no rush for lga rikers island expansion

https://www.amny.com/news/seven-year...sland-closure/

upgrades underway to coney island yard in prep for another superstorm

https://www.amny.com/transit/mta-muc...y-level-storm/

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 1:18 AM
Cat Enthusiast

So, quesiton, I took the 7 to Hudson Yards on Sunday. I know the station is new but we traveled incredibly slow between Times Square and Hudson Yards. This was around 1PM, so do y'all think this was due to heavy train traffic?

I dunno, I figured taking the 7 to Hudson Yards from Times Square would be fast. Could this have been because of trains moving into the actual yards underneath the plazas, parks, and skyscrapers?

Last I was in NYC was 2013 and the 7 was my zippy way into, and out of, Manhattan. Getting to my hotel in LIC via the E was wonderful, very fast; I was just surprised I how the 7 had slowed after the 6 years.

PS: I'm aware that there is a lot of maintenance going on along many lines (I saw a lot of it along the E this past Saturday night).

EDIT: Laguardia Link (while a great idea) sucked...

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 3:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpawnOfVulcan View Post
So, quesiton, I took the 7 to Hudson Yards on Sunday. I know the station is new but we traveled incredibly slow between Times Square and Hudson Yards. This was around 1PM, so do y'all think this was due to heavy train traffic?

I dunno, I figured taking the 7 to Hudson Yards from Times Square would be fast. Could this have been because of trains moving into the actual yards underneath the plazas, parks, and skyscrapers?

Last I was in NYC was 2013 and the 7 was my zippy way into, and out of, Manhattan. Getting to my hotel in LIC via the E was wonderful, very fast; I was just surprised I how the 7 had slowed after the 6 years.

PS: I'm aware that there is a lot of maintenance going on along many lines (I saw a lot of it along the E this past Saturday night).

I recall reading that there are issues with that curve that were causing very excessive premature wear on rolling stock wheels and that it was planned to be fixed. Kind of amazing but not shocking the contractors could screw up something so simple.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 8:30 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post
I recall reading that there are issues with that curve that were causing very excessive premature wear on rolling stock wheels and that it was planned to be fixed. Kind of amazing but not shocking the contractors could screw up something so simple.
That makes sense. I was just so taken aback that it took SO long to get from Times Square to Hudson Yards. I mean, it'd been 6 years since I'd last visited New York, and things change. I just figured new rials, tunnels, station would mean faster service.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 4:48 PM
TL;DR

How on earth is it $2B to replace Newark's AirTrain? It's 3 miles of elevated structure. For that amount of money, they should be able to replace it AND extend it to Newark Penn with an intermediate stop in the Ironbound.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 5:39 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpawnOfVulcan View Post

i notice this about the 7 train too from ts to hy, that its slow for seemingly no reason, but i notice no problems at all with the E train. in fact i just took it end to end back and forth from manhattan to jamaica tuesday and it was excellent.

also, for the record, my spouse is sitting in lga at this moment waiting for her plane to leave. she just took the q70 lga link bus from jackson hts around 11am today and said it was super fast. i've never had a problem with the lga busses either.

then again, i actually liked lga as it was, so.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 8:06 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
i notice this about the 7 train too from ts to hy, that its slow for seemingly no reason, but i notice no problems at all with the E train. in fact i just took it end to end back and forth from manhattan to jamaica tuesday and it was excellent.

also, for the record, my spouse is sitting in lga at this moment waiting for her plane to leave. she just took the q70 lga link bus from jackson hts around 11am today and said it was super fast. i've never had a problem with the lga busses either.

then again, i actually liked lga as it was, so.
Yea, I hopped on a Jackson Heights as well. I think my negative perception of it is stems from me just not liking buses in general. With all the construction at LGA, it took forever to get to the D terminal. The terminal itself was quite nice. My only criticism of the terminal is that it took a bit too long of a walk to get to the restrooms from my gate. I was flying all over the country last week (Detroit, Seattle, Juneau, Anchorage, New York) and all airports I flew to or through had restrooms that were quickly accessible from the gates, all except LGA and JFK (though, I really didn't spend much time in JFK since my flight got in so late, so I might have overlooked some of the conveniences).

EDIT: I agree about the E, once I got on it, it was no time before I got off at Court Sq.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
How on earth is it $2B to replace Newark's AirTrain? It's 3 miles of elevated structure. For that amount of money, they should be able to replace it AND extend it to Newark Penn with an intermediate stop in the Ironbound.
Well at half the cost per mile of the LGA Air Train it's a relative bargain...

Besides extending it to Newark Penn would deprive the PA the opportunity to spend another $2B+ extending PATH to the transfer station.

How that agency spends money is unreal even by NY standards.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 1:33 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ that said, they definitely do need to extend the path train to the airport someday.

its a gimmee of a project. that is, easy to do and bang for the buck in convenience, if not cheap.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 2:03 PM

Quote:
^ that said, they definitely do need to extend the path train to the airport someday.

its a gimmee of a project. that is, easy to do and bang for the buck in convenience, if not cheap.
Many moons ago they thought it would cost $400M which is about what it should cost in anyplace that isn't NY/NJ. If the money is destined to be spent I think extending a new AirTrain to Newark Penn, as ardecila suggests, is functionally the superior option since there are more connection opportunities to existing rail services.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2019, 6:38 AM
BANNED

New York not having a one seat ride to the airport is a joke.

Last edited by aquablue; Nov 10, 2019 at 7:42 AM.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2019, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
New York not having a one seat ride to the airport is a joke.
Not every major city in the country has a one seat ride to the airport.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2019, 4:34 PM

Quote:
The PA has already funded the PATH extension to the airport. It cannot happen until the Airtrain is rebuilt, though.

The Newark Airtrain is currently one of those dinky low capacity airport monorail lines, and they're replacing it with a JFK-style system (heavy rail, dual track, theoretically usable by existing rail systems).

All three airports will have heavy rail systems, with the track compatability, once Newark and LGA are completed, so that accounts for the costs. They aren't building standard airport circulators. You could, theoretically, run LIRR to JFK, right now, if they purchased new vehicles (but that won't happen anytime soon, because of capacity and regulatory issues).

Old Posted Nov 10, 2019, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
The PA has already funded the PATH extension to the airport. It cannot happen until the Airtrain is rebuilt, though.
The new PATH station for EWR is going on the west side of the existing NEC station so would not conflict with the replacement Air Train. They can and will be done concurrently. EWR AirTrain replacement is supposed to be done 2025 and the PATH extension 2026.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 5:05 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
Not every major city in the country has a one seat ride to the airport.
It used to be pretty rare, actually.

Rail to Airports for US Cities

One-seat
Chicago Loop to ORD via CTA Blue Line
Chicago Loop to MDW via CTA Orange Line
Chicago Loop to SBN via South Shore interurban train
San Francisco to SFO via BART Yellow
Seattle to SEA via Red Line Light Rail
Portland to PDX via Red Line Light Rail
Denver to DEN via A Light Rail
Minneapolis to MPS via Blue Line Light Rail
St. Louis to STL via Red Line Metrolink
Washington to DCA via Metro Yellow/Blue
Baltimore to BWI via Lightrail
Cleveland to CLE via RTA Red Line
Philadelphia to PHL via Septa Airport Line
Dallas to DFW via Orange Line light rail
Fort Worth to DFW via TexRail
Atlanta to ATL via Marta Red/Yellow lines
Salt Lake City to SLC via TRAX

Multi-Seat
Oakland to OAK BART Blue/Orange/Green to Beige
San Francisco to OAK via BART Blue/Green to Beige
New York to JFK via A/J/Z/E to Airtrain
New York to EWR via PATH Newark/Journal Square to Airtrain
Newark to EWR via PATH to Airtrain
Chicago to MIK via Amtrak Hiawatha to airport shuttle
Milwaukee to MIK via Amtrak Hiawatha to airport shuttle
Washington to BWI via Amtrak or MARC to airport shuttle
Baltimore to BWI via Amtrak or MARC to airport shuttle
Boston to BOS via T Blue Line to airport shuttle
Miami to MIA via MetroRail to airport rail shuttle
Miami to FLL via TriRail to airport shuttle
Fort Lauderdale to FLL via TriRail to airport shuttle
Fort Lauderdale to MIA via TriRail to airport shuttle
Phoenix to PHX via Yellow lightrail line to airport shuttle

Airports I don't know how to categorize
San Jose - Caltrain and streetcar stops technically within walking distance
San Diego - Streetcar stops technically within walking distance
Boston's BRT Silver Line goes from downtown to BOS single-seat, but is not rail
[/SIZE]

Last edited by emathias; Nov 12, 2019 at 7:43 PM. Reason: adding Salt Lake City

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 7:42 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ yes and btw the cleveland rapid was the very first rail to the airport service.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation