HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 4:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Time to update and make my final point.

Since exit2lef and I have agreed that planned light rail extensions intended to be complete by 2023 are all a Go and that the I-10 corridor is ideal for BRT then it shall be thusly done.
Ah, if only the wheels of gov’t moved so easily..

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Finally. The extensions seems likes it's been dragging. Especially as compared to the Mesa Dr. extension, which completed ahead of schedule.

Couple more light rail links:

Coverage of community meeting on the South Central extension.

Glendale plotting how to spend "savings" after cancellation of planned light rail extension.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2018, 2:05 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Finally. The extensions seems likes it's been dragging. Especially as compared to the Mesa Dr. extension, which completed ahead of schedule.
That's one thing that is great about the Valley. In Phoenix there are stories that these huge projects are on time under budget or ahead of time and on budget or what have you.

This is very different from other major cities that low ball estimates just to get voter approval. Often the case in many cities is that it's over budget and behind time. Just look at what's happening with CA HSR from what voters approved to what it is now.

Phoenicians should really appreciate the fast pace of these construction projects.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 6:39 PM

Bike share ridership numbers for December out, and it looks like the effects of the private bike share companies are finally being felt. Spin, Lime and Ofo have bikes all over in Tempe. Total trips system-wide went from 9,839 in November to 6,919 in December. That could also just be ASU students being off for Christmas, so I guess we'll have to wait and see January numbers to be sure. GRiD revenue took less of a hit, only down about 7%.

I haven't ridden any of the private company bikes, and only rode GRiD once or twice, so I don't really have a preference as to whether one company wins out, or they all continue to operate. But it will be interesting to watch.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 6:48 PM

Interestingly, I'm starting to see Lime bikes in Central Phoenix locations. Is Lime bike dropping them off here or are people riding them over from Scottsdale?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 8:50 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
Interestingly, I'm starting to see Lime bikes in Central Phoenix locations. Is Lime bike dropping them off here or are people riding them over from Scottsdale?
I'm glad you brought this up because I was going to ask. What is with all the Grid-style bikes getting left around Scottsdale/McDowell and adjoining blocks? I've been seeing them all over the place the last couple of weekends. They aren't even locked down. Some are just laying on their side in grass, sidewalks, etc.

Is this a new type of bike share program I am not aware of? I mean it's great if this many people are riding bikes and using them, but if you ask me, it looks kind of trashy just to leave them parked and laying around everywhere. How are they keeping track of them and who has to go around a locate them all to put them back where they go?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 9:00 PM

The new trend in bike sharing is dockless. The wheels and crank lock up until a user with valid payment logs in, similar to the way Grid would unlock the lock.

This trend began in China and has been extremely successful, and if Grid doesn't alter their business model they are going to be eaten alive. If you're familiar with Town and Country in Scottsdale it's near Oak and Scottsdale road, not downtown but somewhat close. I was over there checking on a project we are doing on an old Haver home, for me it's a really exciting project.... but those damn bikes laying in people's front yards totally took my attention away! It is a novel idea being able to pick up a bike and ride it home, leaving it there for the next day to ride back to the bar and retrieve your car.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 9:07 PM

Quote:
The new trend in bike sharing is dockless. The wheels and crank lock up until a user with valid payment logs in, similar to the way Grid would unlock the lock.

This trend began in China and has been extremely successful, and if Grid doesn't alter their business model they are going to be eaten alive. If you're familiar with Town and Country in Scottsdale it's near Oak and Scottsdale road, not downtown but somewhat close. I was over there checking on a project we are doing on an old Haver home, for me it's a really exciting project.... but those damn bikes laying in people's front yards totally took my attention away! It is a novel idea being able to pick up a bike and ride it home, leaving it there for the next day to ride back to the bar and retrieve your car.
Yeah, it will be interesting to see how it shakes out. Arizona cities seem to have taken a lasseiz-faire approach so far, but I know Dallas has already been making noise about regulating the "clutter."

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/c...y-bike-rentals

And some people have taken matters into their own hands, haha:

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/lo...195787284.html

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 9:54 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Yeah, it will be interesting to see how it shakes out. Arizona cities seem to have taken a lasseiz-faire approach so far, but I know Dallas has already been making noise about regulating the "clutter."

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/c...y-bike-rentals

And some people have taken matters into their own hands, haha:
Haha. That's great! That was my first impression when I seen this is why are all these bikes laying around? It's a cool concept. BUT...it looks trashy...like a grocery cart sitting on the sidewalk. And I'm a cyclist...so I'm not against any of this. Just the responsibility of at least parking it upright.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Bike share ridership numbers for December out, and it looks like the effects of the private bike share companies are finally being felt. Spin, Lime and Ofo have bikes all over in Tempe. Total trips system-wide went from 9,839 in November to 6,919 in December. That could also just be ASU students being off for Christmas, so I guess we'll have to wait and see January numbers to be sure. GRiD revenue took less of a hit, only down about 7%.

I haven't ridden any of the private company bikes, and only rode GRiD once or twice, so I don't really have a preference as to whether one company wins out, or they all continue to operate. But it will be interesting to watch.
I'm getting sick of these bikes in Tempe the stupid spin bikes someone is riding them and dumping them in our alley. I had to carry 4 of these stupid things this weekend to university because they we're rotting in the alley for a month. They are annoying and beep constantly when being carried.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Quote:
The South Central extension is now one-third of the way through its initial design process. The design process is expected to last from now until 2019 when construction is supposed to begin.
If they expect to start construction next year then they must be expecting an answer from FTA on any grant approvals this year I'd think. I like their chances for getting some funding. There should be some lists published soon of what is line for approval etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
Haha. That's great!
Had the same reaction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymox View Post
Ah, if only the wheels of gov’t moved so easily..
Exactly! If they would just leave it up to exit2lef and I...

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 1:14 AM

Exit2lef and me

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 3:36 AM
self-important urbanista

I was bicycling in Scottsdale today and saw Lime bikes and Ofo bikes all over the place. Most were placed appropriately, but one was lying on its side along the banks of the Arizona Canal, just a foot or two away from falling into the water. Also, I saw someone riding one of the bikes with one hand while holding the handlebars of another bike with the other hand. I think he was an employee of one of the new dockless companies relocating bikes. If that's how they do business, they're definitely not as professional as GRID, which uses a van to rebalance its bike inventory. Of course, that also means the dockless companies have lower costs, which will only increase the challenge they pose to GRID. It's amazing how quickly this industry has evolved in only five years. A bike share system with docks every few blocks seemed novel in 2013; now, it's becoming old-fashioned.

Last edited by exit2lef; Jan 23, 2018 at 5:49 PM.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 4:02 PM
High Voltage

[QUOTE=exit2lef;8056920Of course, that also means the dockless companies have lower costs, which will only increase the challenge they pose to GRID. It's amazing how quickly this industry has evolved in only five years. A bike share system with docks every few blocks seemed novel in 2013; now, it's becoming old-fashioned.[/QUOTE]

It may seem old fashioned, but smart. I feel that Grid has it right. I'm starting to see some of these dockless bikes around Tempe, particularly in my neighborhood, and the abandoned bikes can be and are an eyesore at times. I wonder how many of these go missing permanently and need to be replaced.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 4:37 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ4ate0 View Post
It may seem old fashioned, but smart. I feel that Grid has it right. I'm starting to see some of these dockless bikes around Tempe, particularly in my neighborhood, and the abandoned bikes can be and are an eyesore at times. I wonder how many of these go missing permanently and need to be replaced.
Exactly. Without docking them and even though the cranks/hub may be locked, they can still be carried off and parts removed.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 5:17 PM

I'm not sure theft will be a major issue with these, not much you can do with the parts and selling or using the bikes wouldn't be worth the trouble. The bigger issue will be lost bikes but they've factored in the losses.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 5:32 AM

Quote:
Exit2lef and me
Why You?

Just read this today. Can't say I blame them; in fact it would seem to make the most sense for them at this point in time. Down the road they can always revisit the light rail question if they wish.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 10:06 PM

What's with these bikes lying around Phoenix and Scottsdale?

Looks like this has caught the eye of AZ Central lol

https://www.azcentral.com/story/ente...pe/1048684001/

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 10:11 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by airomero83 View Post

Sometimes I think the news outlets watch this forum and think , "Ooh! A new news story!".

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 10:22 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by airomero83 View Post

Best quote: "Phoenix Councilman Sal DiCiccio recently recommended in a now-deleted Facebook post that Arcadia homeowners throw offending bikes in the trash."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest