HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Jul 4, 2015, 8:22 PM
Aspiring Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by simms3_redux View Post
Yea I get that...but standing room only for all those commuters going to the East Bay or down near Milbrae! Phew I guess there will be enough people getting off at a certain point that people can start moving to seats. So yea, this makes sense.

Can't wait for the new MUNI trains as well. Also a system that is just crushed.
If I remember correctly, it's a loss of about ~8 seats per car, which isn't that much. Plus, the overall fleet will have more total cars than it has now, and more cars = more trains = more capacity = less packed trains.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2015, 9:04 PM

Plus, BART is not even close to standing room only at Millbrae or at the ends of the East Bay sections. So even if someone is going that full length, they'll be able to get seats for at least some of the journey (and possibly most of the actual time spent in the car).

The biggest need (by far) for BART right now is solving the massive capacity issues in the SF and inner East Bay stations, which the third door should help with.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2015, 11:03 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxstreetcar View Post
For SMART... any word on the types of concessions they will have at the snack bar? Alcoholic drinks? Just chips and soda? Packages sandwiches? Postcards and playing cards? That's really cool, as far as I know almost unheard of now in the US for a non-Amtrak train to have on-board concessions.

So I see there is funding and a plan to extend the line as planned south to Larkspur but why isn't it directly connecting to the Larkspur ferry terminal, clearly the logical place for it?!? Nuts to have to take a shuttle bus or walk a good distance between the two. Please tell me there is a long term plan to build a flyover to bring the train directly to the ferryboat dock like a logical intermodal connection would be anywhere outside the US or like any in the US built before WWII. I hear the claim that most riders are within Marin & Sonoma but with a good connection to SF via the ferry I have to believe it would get a lot commuters to SF and day trippers from SF if it was a seamless painless connection.
Concessions will probably be limited to wine and open during off peak trains aimed at tourists (Saturday's)

SMART doesn't own the ferry's parking lot and I don't think the ferry wants to lose any parking spaces. I believe the ferry is immune to eminent domain, therefore the train will not be able to steal ferry property. The planned train station isn't going to be farther away than the furthest parking space. To get any closer to the ferry terminal, SMART would probably have to build a far more expensive aerial station to appease the ferry, and I would like to point out they can barely afford the at grade station planned.

If walking three blocks is too far after riding a train, trains will never be the answer to replace cars.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2015, 12:33 AM
Aspiring Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo View Post
Plus, BART is not even close to standing room only at Millbrae or at the ends of the East Bay sections. So even if someone is going that full length, they'll be able to get seats for at least some of the journey (and possibly most of the actual time spent in the car).

The biggest need (by far) for BART right now is solving the massive capacity issues in the SF and inner East Bay stations, which the third door should help with.
Ehh, it's still pretty bad. Commute peak direction in the morning is standing room only from at least Lafayette, and it's the same in the afternoon from Powell until at least Lafayette. I think a huge chunk of people get on at Concord or Walnut Creek (especially the Danville/San Ramon/etc. types who drive up and park) and then it only gets worse from there. Evening trains are also packed, though that's mostly because of the Richmond line's earlier ending time. I can't speak for how packed the other lines are. But the third door will still be nothing but a good thing in getting peak trains to depart on time as well (I'm looking at you, Embarcadero at 5pm on a weekday).

Good thing I almost always take BART in the reverse peak direction!

Old Posted Jul 6, 2015, 7:22 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Central Subway Construction

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 3:06 PM

How Can We Move More People Between SF and the East Bay?

Read More: https://medium.com/@spur_urbanist/ho...y-f9fb3eb200c9

Quote:

The new San Francisco Bay Area Core Capacity Transit Study, which kicks off this year, will identify short-, medium- and long-term improvements in the transbay travel corridor.

- The study — which involves the Metropolitan Transportation Commission, the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency, the San Francisco County Transportation Agency, BART, AC Transit, the Water Emergency Transportation Agency and Caltrain — will paint a clear picture of commuter travel patterns and determine how best to address the needs of Bay Area commuters.

While the study progresses, here are some actions SPUR recommends in the meantime:

• Maximize capacity and efficiency within the current BART system.

• Add additional railcars, allowing l0-car trains whenever needed. BART’s stated goal is to ultimately obtain enough funding to increase the fleet to 1,081 train cars.

• Introduce railcars with extra doors to reduce loading and offloading time. BART’s new train cars, the first of which will begin service in Fall 2016, will have three sets of doors, as opposed to two. So far, 669 of these “Fleet of the Future” cars have been purchased.

• The current train control system is over 40 years old. Installing a new train control system would allow for more closely spaced trains, meaning more frequency on transbay BART lines.

• Adopt the BART Metro concept, which increases the amount of service within the core of the BART system, by creating new train storage and turnbacks facilities in San Francisco and the East Bay.

• Add bus lanes on the Bay Bridge and on highway approaches.

• Use price changes or incentives to shift riders to other transportation modes or other times.

• Expand casual carpool.

• Create a transbay or regional transit pass.

• Grow transbay bus service, especially when the Transbay Transit Center opens.

• Increase ferry frequencies.

• Build the Bay Bridge Bike and Pedestrian Path.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2015, 4:05 AM
Sonoma Strong

Some pictures of the new Presidio Parkway (US 101) set to open in San Francisco on Monday. The freeway is closed through the weekend to allow for the traffic shift.

Paul Chinn, The Chronicle
"A construction crew works inside the southbound Main Post tunnel of the Presidio Parkway project in San Francisco, Calif. on Tuesday, July 7, 2015. "

"The Palace of Fine Arts comes into view when emerging from the southbound Main Post tunnel of the Presidio Parkway project in San Francisco, Calif. on Tuesday, July 7, 2015."

"A construction crew works below street level for the Presidio Parkway project in San Francisco, Calif. on Tuesday, July 7, 2015."

"Guard rails await installation at the northbound Battery tunnel of the Presidio Parkway project in San Francisco, Calif. on Tuesday, July 7, 2015."

"Engineers stand above the northbound Battery tunnel of the Presidio Parkway project in San Francisco, Calif. on Tuesday, July 7, 2015."

"Construction work on the Presidio Parkway project nears completion in San Francisco, Calif. on Tuesday, July 7, 2015."

"Construction workers inspect the ceiling of the norhtbound Battery tunnel of the Presidio Parkway project in San Francisco, Calif. on Tuesday, July 7, 2015."

"Members of the news media tour the Presidio Parkway project in San Francisco, Calif. on Tuesday, July 7, 2015."

"Final work is being completed on the northbound Main Post tunnel of the Presidio Parkway project in San Francisco, Calif. on Tuesday, July 7, 2015."

"The southbound roadbed near the Main Post tunnel waits to be completed on the Presidio Parkway project in San Francisco, Calif. on Tuesday, July 7, 2015."

"Signs to assist in emergency evacuations are installed in the Presidio Parkway tunnels in San Francisco, Calif. on Tuesday, July 7, 2015."

"Construction work nears completion on the on-ramp to northbound 101 from Girard Road for the Presidio Parkway project in San Francisco, Calif. on Tuesday, July 7, 2015."

Traffic zig-zags through the Presidio Parkway project in San Francisco, Calif. on Tuesday, July 7, 2015.

"Traffic zig-zags through the Presidio Parkway project in San Francisco, Calif. on Tuesday, July 7, 2015."

"The Main Post tunnel is completed at the Presidio Parkway project in San Francisco, Calif. on Tuesday, July 7, 2015."

For all photos and article: http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/articl...#photo-8283864

Pictures of Santa Rosa, So. Co.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 12:53 AM
Greetings from New Jersey

Caltrain - San Jose to San Francisco King St - Morning Express

Video Link

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 4:17 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by M II A II R II K View Post
How Can We Move More People Between SF and the East Bay?
Quote:

The new San Francisco Bay Area Core Capacity Transit Study, which kicks off this year, will identify short-, medium- and long-term improvements in the transbay travel corridor.

- The study — which involves the Metropolitan Transportation Commission, the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency, the San Francisco County Transportation Agency, BART, AC Transit, the Water Emergency Transportation Agency and Caltrain — will paint a clear picture of commuter travel patterns and determine how best to address the needs of Bay Area commuters.

While the study progresses, here are some actions SPUR recommends in the meantime:

• Maximize capacity and efficiency within the current BART system.

• Add additional railcars, allowing l0-car trains whenever needed. BART’s stated goal is to ultimately obtain enough funding to increase the fleet to 1,081 train cars.

• Introduce railcars with extra doors to reduce loading and offloading time. BART’s new train cars, the first of which will begin service in Fall 2016, will have three sets of doors, as opposed to two. So far, 669 of these “Fleet of the Future” cars have been purchased.

The current train control system is over 40 years old. Installing a new train control system would allow for more closely spaced trains, meaning more frequency on transbay BART lines.

• Adopt the BART Metro concept, which increases the amount of service within the core of the BART system, by creating new train storage and turnbacks facilities in San Francisco and the East Bay.

• Add bus lanes on the Bay Bridge and on highway approaches.

• Use price changes or incentives to shift riders to other transportation modes or other times.

• Expand casual carpool.

• Create a transbay or regional transit pass.

• Grow transbay bus service, especially when the Transbay Transit Center opens.

• Increase ferry frequencies.

• Build the Bay Bridge Bike and Pedestrian Path.

Read More: https://medium.com/@spur_urbanist/ho...y-f9fb3eb200c9
It seems to me that upgrading the train control system is going to make the biggest difference. Right now according to the schedules there's a maximum of 20 tphpd through the trunk section which is a 3 minute headway, while modern control systems can easily allow 30 or more trains per hour, meaning headways of only 2 minutes. That's an increase of a full 50%! I doubt even enacting all the non-BART steps combined including more ferry, bus service and increased carpooling could handle as many riders as ten 10 car BART trains.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 3:47 PM

I think the most promising of all these(in terms of benefit to a widest group) is actually the transbay bus lanes project.

BART is great at what it does, but AC Transits transbay bus system is shockingly underutilized. Give it bus lanes on the bridge, and then all the places in the core without walk able service now have quality transbay service.

As a comparison for the capacity it can offer, NYC's XBL in the Lincoln tunnel carries about 60,000 people each morning. That's about the same capacity of 30 more 10 car BART trains - or 10 more each hour for 3 hours.

As for BART, as far as I know, BART can operate at 24tph, but the limiting factor is Embarcadero and Montgomery dwell times. 3 door per car trains could help that, as could the plan to turn both stations into Spanish Solution platforming, but that project is estimated at a billion.

Last edited by rawocd; Jul 24, 2015 at 10:39 PM.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 8:35 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

One of the modern limiting factors to running more trains per hour through Embarcadero and Montgomery stations is platform capacity. Passengers are exiting those stations at far too slow a rate to leave room on the platform for additional trainloads of exiting passengers.

The solution being floated to this problem is the addition of side platforms at Embarcadero and Montgomery, which would allow more space for exiting passengers and, if I understand it correctly, also more quickly move more passengers out of the stations entirely.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2015, 4:58 PM
Sonoma Strong

Progress on the Haystack Bridge over the Petaluma River for the SMART line:
(from July 16, 2015)

Untitled by SMART Community Outreach, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 31, 2015, 5:48 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

FYI: This, plus ongoing weekend N Judah closures, is going to strongly impact our annual ridership stats--so don't be surprised when APTA quarterly reports show big drops in Metro ridership:

Riders beware: S.F. Muni’s nighttime subway closure starts Friday

Michael Cabanatuan
sfgate.com
Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Starting Friday, six months of bus rides await nighttime Muni Metro passengers accustomed to the subway in downtown San Francisco.
The Market Street subway and Twin Peaks Tunnel, and the stations serving them, will shut down at 10 p.m. daily to allow construction crews to install new communications systems. The closure will eliminate rail service between the Embarcadero and West Portal stations.

Muni will provide shuttle buses from 9:30 p.m. to 1:30 a.m., while Metro light-rail service outside the tunnels will run on typical schedules.
“Shuttles will run the length of the subway, but trains will still run on the surface,” said Paul Rose, a Muni spokesman.

Each morning, Muni Metro service is scheduled to resume at the normal time — about 5 a.m.

While the subway is closed, shuttles will run from the Embarcadero to St. Francis Circle, with riders boarding at the island F-line stops near the Market Street subway stations. Shuttles are scheduled to run about every eight minutes, but extra buses will be pressed into service during big events or to handle large crowds.
Muni is shutting down the subways to allow crews to install a new digital radio system that will replace old analog equipment. It will improve communication between train operators and the control center, and will expand the audio and visual announcements of upcoming stops in the subway and above ground, Muni officials said.

Workers will also replace the 90 emergency telephones installed in the 1970s. The phones, marked by blue lights, will be replaced with 181 more advanced phones. That work is expected to be done by January, but track replacement in the Twin Peaks Tunnel will follow, requiring closures that have yet to be scheduled.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 6:42 PM
Sonoma Strong

"Final piece of steel being placed on the Haystack Bridge in Petaluma. See if you can spot the flag and tree which are celebratory symbols for completion of steel projects such as this."

https://www.facebook.com/sonomamarin...e=1&permPage=1

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 5:39 PM
Sonoma Strong

Quote:

Photo: Brant Ward / The Chronicle
A SMART employee ducks under the tracks in the service bay of the new SMART maintenance yard.
http://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/a...en-6477043.php

Old Posted Sep 22, 2015, 4:05 AM
Sonoma Strong

SMART Update

Quote:
Marin Voice: Report card on SMART’s busy summer

By: Judy Arnold

Friday, Sept. 18, 2015 - 11:27 a.m.

...At Sonoma-Marin Area Rail Transit, we had an exceptionally productive season, and are announcing a huge milestone: major reconstruction of the railroad for the first phase of operations is complete.

We've rebuilt 43 miles of track, four passing sidings, replaced 56 grade crossings, repaired 48 bridges and replaced two - the Novato Creek and Haystack bridges - with significant improvements.

We've brought the Puerto Suello tunnel to current seismic and safety standards, installed systems, signals and control houses along the entire project, and built a new Operations and Maintenance Facility to service and secure our fleet of state-of-the-art passenger railcars, as well as to house the system Control Center.

Another major achievement this summer was securing an $11 million state grant to purchase three "C" cars, which enable three-car trainsets for expanded bike and passenger capacity.

We are closely tracking $20 million in federal funds that was budgeted by President Barack Obama and fully appropriated by the House of Representatives for the SMART Larkspur extension.

We'll be the first service in the nation to start operations with Positive Train Control in place to monitor and enforce limits on train speeds and movements, and prevent train-to-train collisions. We've presented rail safety training to 80,000 kids and adults in person and at interactive community event booths.

What's next?

This month, we begin finishing work at our 10 stations. We've selected Clipper as our fare collection system, with refillable cards for purchase both online and at station platforms - which of course can also be used to complete your trip with most regional transit providers.

Commissioning of signals, systems and crossings has been ongoing.

In early 2016, we will begin the much-anticipated phase of on-track testing. Our modern trains will be visible from Highway 101 north of Novato as the rail cars, signals and wayside and central control systems are put through their paces in this first stage of integrated pre-service testing.

Marin County Supervisor Judy Arnold of Novato is chair of the Sonoma-Marin Area Rail Transit District board.
http://www.marinij.com/opinion/20150...ts-busy-summer

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 6:38 PM

possible hope for a north beach central subway station?

fyi: personally, i think the central subway will be underutilized. it makes much more sense with north beach and fisherman's wharf stations---at a minimum, north beach since the tbm tunnel runs that far.

http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...te-flames.html

Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 4:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Probably has more to do with the berthing time in the downtown stations. Decreasing that turnaround time increases capacity, and a third set of doors would definitely be beneficial in that goal.
I don't think they can even run any more trains through the transbay tube as it is, so not sure a shorter dwell time in DT SF will help with capacity and running more trains.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 4:31 AM
Aspiring Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I don't think they can even run any more trains through the transbay tube as it is, so not sure a shorter dwell time in DT SF will help with capacity and running more trains.
If a train is scheduled for a 20 second stop at Embarcadero, but it takes a minute for all the passengers to board, that delays the train behind it at Montgomery by 40 seconds, as an example. If that keeps happening in succession, that can produce a domino effect for all the commute hour trains, which are already scheduled pretty tightly.

*But*, if there's more space for people can embark and disembark trains via an additional door, that cuts down on stall times at the station. So with a third door, passengers will be able to clear the platform more quickly, and the train has a better chance of departing on time.

Also, more trains *could* run through the Transbay Tube with a new computer system. The current one dates to around when BART opened, which was during the Nixon administration. Computers have changed a lot since then. IIRC, there are ~15(?) trains per hour right now, but a new system could safely space trains more closely, which would allow for something closer to ~30 trains per hour.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 1:59 PM
Sonoma Strong

"SMART Cars 103 & 104 made their first trip over the Haystack Bridge in Petaluma

Photo Credit: SMART Junior Engineer Jadine Otero"

https://m.facebook.com/sonomamarintr...pe=3&source=48

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation