HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Apr 12, 2016, 12:47 AM

I flew out to JFK last month. Instead of visit the Delta lounge, I decided to walk from T5 to T4 and TBIT via the new connector building.

The T5 to T4 tunnel can use some sprucing up but the T4 to TBIT connector was fantastic

Total time walking about about 12 minutes... similar to walking outside but I didn't have to clear TSA again. After eating a few snacks at the Skyteam lounge at TBIT, I walked back to T5 to board my flight to JFK.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2016, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
LAWA should consider such an investment far into the future once the landside people mover is complete and all facilities/infrastructure modernized. It could be constructed in phases. If you build the Blue Line, then you've built nearly half the system already.
You can't mix the land side and air side APM because you have to keep the secured area secure. So I'm not sure what completion of land side APM has anything to do with an air side APM. If you are proposing using part of the land side APM infrastructure to connect TBIT MSC to TBIT main concourse, it doesn't make any sense -there are no land side facilities planned at MSC (it is a satellite concourse after all, not a terminal), so you cannot have an APM between MSC and TBIT main concourse that continues to/from other terminals at land side.

So this is the problem with your map... if this thing is supposed to be air side (and underground as you previously mentioned), it will be insanely expensive air side APM with very few riders. It will be very unbalanced as well with perhaps few hundred passengers per day on the south side and perhaps a handful on the north side.

If this is supposed to be a land side APM, it is impossible. We just don't have the room for something like this on the land side. Also you can't have land side APM between TBIT main concourse and TBIT MSC.

Quote:
Ultimately, it's not an absolute necessity for the reasons you mentioned. It's standard procedure at other airports (i.e. JFK, SFO) to go through security again. At least the landside people mover will offer connecting passengers another option besides walking. I'm talking about travelers needing to get to the opposite end of the CTA. Who the hell wants to walk all the way from T8 to TBIT?
T7/8 will have access to East Station and TBIT will have access to West Station so they will be connected by landside APM.

Last edited by bzcat; Apr 12, 2016 at 1:23 AM.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 6:04 PM

If anyone wants to see the site plan for MSC, you can click on this link: http://lawa.granicus.com/MetaViewer....&meta_id=21901

See page 4

Also, the map on this page will give you a sense of distance from the main concourse to the satellite concourse: http://www.lawa.org/MSCNorth/theproject.aspx

It's about the same as T4 concourse to T5 concourse... so maybe a 6 or 7 minute walk from TBIT Main to TBIT MSC, which will be connected with tunnels.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2016, 12:09 AM

LAWA details Delta's move to T2 and T3: http://www.briansumers.com/home/2016...d-3-eventually

Quote:
  • Air Canada: Terminal 2 to Terminal 6
  • Hawaiian Air: Terminal 2 to Terminal 5
  • JetBlue: Terminal 3 to Terminal 6
  • Spirit: Terminal 3 >Terminal 6
  • Virgin America (Alaska): Terminal 3 to Terminal 5
  • American: It would swap four gates it now has in Terminal 6 for 4 gates in Terminal 5.

There are now several international airlines operating in Terminal 2 not accounted for on the map. I do not know where they would go, but presumably they will find space. Some, like Aeromexico, are SkyTeam members, so it's possible they could stay with Delta.

So looks like after the Delta shuffle is done, LAX will finally be somewhat logical for transit passengers.
  • OneWorld airlines will occupy T4, T5, TBIT all connected behind security.
  • Biggest Star airlines at LAX by departures (UA and AC) will occupy T6, T7/8 all connected (big improvement in AC to UA connection) - other Star airlines will have bus connection behind security from T6 and T7 to TBIT after TBIT bus depot opens later this year
  • SkyTeam airlines (and Delta partners Virgin Atlantic) will occupy T2, T3, TBIT all connected behind security (after T3 rebuild).
  • Alaska will either be in T5 and T6.
  • Southwest continues in T1.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2016, 4:45 PM
life is good

LAX is starting to get really nice. I'm in T6 at the moment and this shit is gentrified tf out. Can't even find anywhere cheap to eat. Most of the terminals are pretty nice at this point but the exterior of the airport still kind of trash...

Old Posted Apr 21, 2016, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightball View Post
LAX is starting to get really nice. I'm in T6 at the moment and this shit is gentrified tf out. Can't even find anywhere cheap to eat. Most of the terminals are pretty nice at this point but the exterior of the airport still kind of trash...
Yup, i was at LAX (Bradley and T4) last week and it looks great. Love seeing all the construction there. Definitely on the right path. The food choices are excellent now

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 10:52 AM

LOS ANGELES INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT VOTED ONE OF WORLD’S TOP 10 SCENIC AIRPORTS 2016

Only U.S. airport to rank in the top 10, in annual poll conducted by PrivateFly

Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) has been voted one of the world’s most scenic airport landings in a poll of global travelers and travel industry experts coming in at number 9. Conducted by PrivateFly, over 7,500 individual votes were received and a total of 115 different global airports received nominations.
One voter described landing at LAX as: “Flights come in from the desert past the mountains, past the beautiful LA downtown skyline and culminate with a spectacular view of the ocean, adjacent to the airport, all of which happens in about the last hour of your trip.”
A panel of major names in the travel industry narrowed down the initial nominee list of 115 airports for the public to vote on.

The top 10 list includes:

1. Malta International Airport, Malta
2. Nice Cote D'Azur Airport, France
3. Queenstown Airport, New Zealand
4. Barra Airport, Scotland, UK
5. Saba Airport (Juancho E Yrausquin), Caribbean
6. Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport, Canada
7. Donegal Airport, Ireland
8. St Maarten Airport (Princess Juliana International), Caribbean
9. Los Angeles International Airport (LAX), USA
10. London City Airport, UK

http://www.privatefly.com/us/airport...ollResults2016

close

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 5:25 PM

“Flights come in from the desert past the mountains, past the beautiful LA downtown skyline and culminate with a spectacular view of the ocean, adjacent to the airport, all of which happens in about the last hour of your trip.”

. . . and land in what appears to be a junk pile.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX_Alex View Post
LOS ANGELES INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT VOTED ONE OF WORLD’S TOP 10 SCENIC AIRPORTS 2016

Only U.S. airport to rank in the top 10, in annual poll conducted by PrivateFly

Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) has been voted one of the world’s most scenic airport landings in a poll of global travelers and travel industry experts coming in at number 9. Conducted by PrivateFly, over 7,500 individual votes were received and a total of 115 different global airports received nominations.
One voter described landing at LAX as: “Flights come in from the desert past the mountains, past the beautiful LA downtown skyline and culminate with a spectacular view of the ocean, adjacent to the airport, all of which happens in about the last hour of your trip.”
A panel of major names in the travel industry narrowed down the initial nominee list of 115 airports for the public to vote on.

The top 10 list includes:

1. Malta International Airport, Malta
2. Nice Cote D'Azur Airport, France
3. Queenstown Airport, New Zealand
4. Barra Airport, Scotland, UK
5. Saba Airport (Juancho E Yrausquin), Caribbean
6. Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport, Canada
7. Donegal Airport, Ireland
8. St Maarten Airport (Princess Juliana International), Caribbean
9. Los Angeles International Airport (LAX), USA
10. London City Airport, UK

http://www.privatefly.com/us/airport...ollResults2016

close
Cant argue with that. Its especially beautiful in Jan - April when there is snow on the mountains. You can always tell people love it because everyones heads are staring out the window on the LAX approach

Old Posted Apr 23, 2016, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightball View Post
Beautifying and improving connections among terminals as well as connecting LAX to metro are the hard parts. Luckily they can always just Peterson Auto Museum the exterior to fix it.

Old Posted May 28, 2016, 9:13 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Terminal 7 renovation update:

Instagram

Instagram / tamilapaige

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted May 29, 2016, 9:29 PM

Thank you for the pictures update, terminal 1 is looking great. The existing hangar west of the new Tom Bradley international terminal has been demolished to make way for phase one of the midfield satellite terminal.

Old Posted May 30, 2016, 5:29 AM

Wow!!! Thank you so much for sharing the pictures. Looks great! I haven't gone through at terminal 1 for over 10 years. Everything is change.

Old Posted May 30, 2016, 5:36 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

^ It won't be fully finished until 2018. But yeah, it's looking nice. If you're not going to do a complete teardown and rebuild, then this is the way to do a renovation.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted May 30, 2016, 6:29 AM

^ timely topic to me today since I had to both pick up & drop off family members late this afternoon. What a zoo. even though this is a holiday weekend, I still don't recall the traffic at LAX being as ridiculous as it was today. I also was irritated by how congested it was several wks ago when I again had to go to LAX.

the airport is being crucified by many ppl in online yelp reviews & is stuck with a lowly 2 1/2 star rating. This even after several yrs of improvements have been made to LAX. but the problem isn't just due to too much roadway crowding. There are lots of complaints about rude employees or long lines at TSA, which modernization won't solve. however, various ppl continue to mention how dirty or outdated LAX looks, sometimes saying it's no better than an airport in a Third world country. Ouch!

I hope the exposed ceiling in the shopping arcade of terminal 1 is temporary. It would be a big mistake if that's purposeful & is an attempt to give a deconstructionist hipster style to Southwest's terminal. In comparison, the new exterior of that terminal should have been the rule, not the exception, over 20 yrs ago.

When I was at LAX today, I noticed many of the other terminals on the departure level still have cheap, plain stucco exteriors. Even worse, the flash molding at the top of those terminals where the walls meet the rooflines is wrinkled.

But the new roadway light fixtures, influenced by the look of the theme bldg, are better than the old lights.

Video Link

One last thing: even though LAX gets a big thumbs down from many ppl posting to Yelp, I notice it has attracted more reviews....way more...than any other airport in the country. Something like over 4,000 postings, compared with about half as many for airports in cities like SF or even fewer for airports in NYC.

btw, SFO gets a four star rating, about the highest of any airport in the US. Not sure why that is since I consider that airport to be overly laid back, boutique-ish instead of more big city hustle & bustle. I associate LAX with the big time....even if it's also slammed by many travelers as stuck in the past & dirty, & a place to avoid. So YMMV.

Old Posted May 30, 2016, 10:25 PM

Thanks for the video. Any word on when the north side terminals will have an airside connector to TBIT?

Old Posted May 31, 2016, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post

btw, SFO gets a four star rating, about the highest of any airport in the US. Not sure why that is since I consider that airport to be overly laid back, boutique-ish instead of more big city hustle & bustle. I associate LAX with the big time....even if it's also slammed by many travelers as stuck in the past & dirty, & a place to avoid. So YMMV.
I associate LAX with the third world and by that, I mean no insult to the third world. When I go to an airport, I don't want hustle and bustle, I want comfort and convenience and I want to get to my gate in the shortest possible time, preferably without a half-mile (or longer) hike. LAX fails in every one of those measures. The "improvements" don't appear to me to be helpful.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg6544 View Post
...and I want to get to my gate in the shortest possible time, preferably without a half-mile (or longer) hike. LAX fails in every one of those measures.
There's about a thousand and one things you could rightfully criticize LAX for, but this is most definitely not one of them. In fact LAX is singular among its peer airports for boasting perhaps the SHORTEST curb to gate distances of any major airport in the nation.

Informed criticism is one thing, but you seem not to have the slightest idea what you're talking about.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 2:38 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenseCityPlease View Post
Informed criticism is one thing, but you seem not to have the slightest idea what you're talking about.

http://www.mememaker.net/static/imag...es/4342388.jpg

— Jerome Bruner

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation