HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montydawg View Post
I looked at the site plan, and Phase I will include only 2 of the 3 office buildings you see in the rendering. The 'park', hotel, and apartment are also in phase I. Phase II will be the third office building behind Nu-Grape, then a second building across the street from Bantam pub at 750 Ralph McGill. It may be years before we see phase II.
Was anything in particular designated for 750 Ralph McGill? Last I heard was it could still be anything and phase 2 had no timeline.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
Was anything in particular designated for 750 Ralph McGill? Last I heard was it could still be anything and phase 2 had no timeline.
Here’s the site plan. They are putting surface parking there, but notice the word ‘interim’. The resolution on this is bad, but I was able to read on my computer both surface lots will be redeveloped for phase II. The sewer easement right through the 760 Ralph McGill parcel will limit what they can construct there. I was hoping they would realign the driveways to line up with other entrances on ralph McGill, but it does not look like they are making any changes to that.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EY5A0wEX...jpg&name=large

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 1:16 AM

Quote:
Here’s the site plan. They are putting surface parking there, but notice the word ‘interim’. The resolution on this is bad, but I was able to read on my computer both surface lots will be redeveloped for phase II. The sewer easement right through the 760 Ralph McGill parcel will limit what they can construct there. I was hoping they would realign the driveways to line up with other entrances on ralph McGill, but it does not look like they are making any changes to that.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EY5A0wEX...jpg&name=large
A few years back I believe they were considering townhomes at the moment. I’m not well informed on stormwater nor sewer management. At least not as that magnitude. Considering they’re adding all the new residential, office, commercial, and water features as part of phase 1, why would they be limited in what they can build directly adjacent? Couldn’t they tap in to the same infrastructure or build out the capacity for both in phase 1?

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 2:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
I absolutely love it. I hope it continues to move forward without any major changes.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 1:13 PM

Quote:
A few years back I believe they were considering townhomes at the moment. I’m not well informed on stormwater nor sewer management. At least not as that magnitude. Considering they’re adding all the new residential, office, commercial, and water features as part of phase 1, why would they be limited in what they can build directly adjacent? Couldn’t they tap in to the same infrastructure or build out the capacity for both in phase 1?
I think the limiting factor with the sewer is the city has an easement over the sewer lines that do not allow building a building over it. The city wants to be able to dig up the line at will to make repairs as necessary. The phase I plan manages to accomodate the sewer line and the buildings are built around the sewer lines, but if you look at the diagram, the 750 ralph mcGill parcel has the sewer line going right through it, so it would be hard for them to develop a sizable building on that parcel. They would need to build on either side of it.

Maybe if they build the building on stilts like their ponce building below, they could build on that parcel but allow for sewer repair under the building if necessary....

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 2:01 PM

Love the design and scope of this project, but Irwin has really messed up the BL and park integration. An elevator and staircase is simply not sufficient for the busiest park and most highly trafficked segment of the BL - and that is without these additions. People with strollers/wheelchairs/bikes arent going to want to use an elevator, especially in a Covid world. And what happens if the elevator breaks? I can't believe how short sighted this is. It goes against the spirit of the BL, you are meant to access it with ease, not like an office building. Theres no on ramp for quite some distance so we are not left with much as an alternative. The city and populace should demand a ramp access to O4W park, with $1 billion they certainly can afford it.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 4:51 PM

Quote:
I think the limiting factor with the sewer is the city has an easement over the sewer lines that do not allow building a building over it. The city wants to be able to dig up the line at will to make repairs as necessary. The phase I plan manages to accomodate the sewer line and the buildings are built around the sewer lines, but if you look at the diagram, the 750 ralph mcGill parcel has the sewer line going right through it, so it would be hard for them to develop a sizable building on that parcel. They would need to build on either side of it.

Maybe if they build the building on stilts like their ponce building below, they could build on that parcel but allow for sewer repair under the building if necessary....
Thanks! I was reviewing the interim surface lot directly south of the apartments, not the 750 lot adjacent Ralph McGill, which I now clearly see that easement. I’ll take a look at the some extra data I have to see how far that easement goes and if it intersects the lot just south of the apartments, too. South of the apartments is where I’m hoping for more density.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 4:51 PM

So where on the site plan does this new staircase and elevator appear that replaces the Gateway trail?

https://beltline.org/2020/06/29/cons...urth-ward-park

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neighbor View Post
Love the design and scope of this project, but Irwin has really messed up the BL and park integration. An elevator and staircase is simply not sufficient for the busiest park and most highly trafficked segment of the BL - and that is without these additions. People with strollers/wheelchairs/bikes arent going to want to use an elevator, especially in a Covid world. And what happens if the elevator breaks? I can't believe how short sighted this is. It goes against the spirit of the BL, you are meant to access it with ease, not like an office building. Theres no on ramp for quite some distance so we are not left with much as an alternative. The city and populace should demand a ramp access to O4W park, with $1 billion they certainly can afford it.
To add, the city parks department turned down an alternative ramp proposed by New City as a replacement. Wish they just kept the original, but they did offer a replacement and it was turned down due to taking too much space in the existing parkspace, which the parks department said they wanted to rent out for events to raise money. Like the wine festival and other pay to access events, which I am just SHOCKED about. CoA needs more park space that is not limited with these private events.

Some good news, though. 1) North side of Ponce is getting a ramp. 2) rumor is ralph mcgill might eventually get a ramp, too, but that is just hearsay.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megalopolis View Post
So where on the site plan does this new staircase and elevator appear that replaces the Gateway trail?

https://beltline.org/2020/06/29/cons...urth-ward-park
You can see at at the top of the page along the northern edge of the office building. That was the alternative proposed ramp, but the area is generally the same access to the BeltLine.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 5:23 PM

Quote:
You can see at at the top of the page along the northern edge of the office building. That was the alternative proposed ramp, but the area is generally the same access to the BeltLine.
So are you saying that the staircase and elevator in the rendering on the Atlanta Beltline website will be to the north of the two office buildings, and then there will be an additional staircase (with the water feature) in between the two office buildings, as it appears in the building rendering?

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 6:00 PM

jeez, this development is so damn cool. hope the stein steel development is this well done.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megalopolis View Post
So are you saying that the staircase and elevator in the rendering on the Atlanta Beltline website will be to the north of the two office buildings, and then there will be an additional staircase (with the water feature) in between the two office buildings, as it appears in the building rendering?
That’s correct. The rendering on the BeltLine site at north of the office buildings. The grand staircase if you will, with water feature, is separate and between the office buildings. It will also have its own elevators. So we’re losing the trail getting multiple staircases and elevators.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Thanks! I was reviewing the interim surface lot directly south of the apartments, not the 750 lot adjacent Ralph McGill, which I now clearly see that easement. I’ll take a look at the some extra data I have to see how far that easement goes and if it intersects the lot just south of the apartments, too. South of the apartments is where I’m hoping for more density.
If you look closely at the diagram, you can see the sewer easement goes between the hotel and apartments, and just grazes the 'south of apartment' space that they will turn into a second interim parking lot. I don't see any reason they won't build some density on that lot.... it will be park facing so that would probably be desirable. I hope they don't opt for townhomes like they originally planned in that corner next to the park.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 12:12 AM

Quote:
I hope they don't opt for townhomes like they originally planned in that corner next to the park.
Likewise! Thanks for sharing the details and insight about the sewer easement.

Maybe I’ll pen a letter to new city but really...

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 10:37 PM

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 1:10 PM

Old Posted Aug 23, 2020, 2:53 PM

something really cool about this project, that I just noticed... The gap in the two buildings is right in front of the New Realm brewery rooftop patio. In looking at Google Maps, the '3 tree hill' on the development platt, and the renderings, I believe the Atlanta skyline will be visible from the rooftop deck of New Realm with this new building acting as a 'frame' around the skyline. The connection between the two buildings is way up in the air, about 4-5 stories, so I don't believe it will block any of the skyline from New Realm. The midtown skyline will be visible to the right of these new buildings. Either way, this will be pretty’s darn cool if I'm lining everything up right.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2020, 7:49 PM

New Renderings by Olson Kundig/Proloog

New renderings via Instagram

Courtesy Olson-Kundig and Proloog

Old Posted Sep 3, 2020, 8:52 PM

Noice!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta