HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Dec 4, 2021, 4:46 PM

Yeah, agreed on Edge NY inspiration.

My prediction: It'll be called The Moontower and be at least 800 ft with an indoor/outdoor observation deck/restaurant in the same vein as Miami's skyrise

Old Posted Dec 4, 2021, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
There was a "Ski-Austin" proposal several years ago. Details are probably buried in the Update thread. It obviously never happened. The renderings were amateurish, so that was a good indicator of its failure.
Here is the link to the Ski Austin proposal that was part of a larger proposed development. Also, a Skyspire tower with gondolas that climb up a track to an observation deck and restaurant might also work as part of the Ski Austin development that was proposed.
https://austin.towers.net/austins-in...lyn@towers.net
https://www.usthrillrides.com/skyspire

Old Posted Dec 4, 2021, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchGuy1 View Post
Here is the link to the Ski Austin proposal that was part of a larger proposed development. Also, a Skyspire tower with gondolas that climb up a track to an observation deck and restaurant might also work as part of the Ski Austin development that was proposed.
https://austin.towers.net/austins-in...lyn@towers.net
https://www.usthrillrides.com/skyspire
Yeah, that ski place was discovered IIRC from the list of projects looking for financing from the Texas-China investment summit. 70 Rainey was one of the projects on the list looking for money at that time as well. They got some investment apparently while the Ski place did not. There was also a Lake Travis Ritz-Carlton resort on the list. But obviously they struck out too. This info can probably be found early in the 70 Rainey thread.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2021, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Yeah, that ski place was discovered IIRC from the list of projects looking for financing from the Texas-China investment summit. 70 Rainey was one of the projects on the list looking for money at that time as well. They got some investment apparently while the Ski place did not. There was also a Lake Travis Ritz-Carlton resort on the list. But obviously they struck out too. This info can probably be found early in the 70 Rainey thread.
What would have thought of having the SkySpire tower that I have linked in one of the articles actually built.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2021, 4:12 PM

A Climate Change Museum, dedicated to what has happened in the past and what is currently happening. It would be a great natural history museum that is extremely relevant. You could relate it to Austin related climate change, What Austin's climate was like in the past, where we are headed, different species that have lived here, modern building techniques, etc. I think it would be fascinating. It could also have a tower built to release the hot air and that could serve as an observatory tower.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2022, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
Austin could use:

1) an amusement park of some sort - Cotaland is getting a real coaster so sure. That works.

2) A zoo - and not that animal rescue zoo

3) An aquarium - and not that dumb fish store up north.

4) More museums. We actually have pretty good ones thanks to UT but no one wants to go on campus. Because students.
A world class zoo combined with a world class aquarium would be a great option for Austin and something the world has not seen before as far as I know.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2022, 1:18 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchGuy1 View Post
A world class zoo combined with a world class aquarium would be a great option for Austin and something the world has not seen before as far as I know.
There are a lot of zoo and aquarium combinations around the world. Not saying it's a bad idea for Austin - I like it.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2022, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
There are a lot of zoo and aquarium combinations around the world. Not saying it's a bad idea for Austin - I like it.
The million dollar question is...where would you put it?

Old Posted Jan 7, 2022, 9:01 PM

make it a freshwater themed aquarium and put it on the austin american statesman lot. it's a great lot for anything and it's unfortunate it is going to become and extremely generic copy+paste corporate pud

Old Posted Jan 7, 2022, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
make it a freshwater themed aquarium and put it on the austin american statesman lot. it's a great lot for anything and it's unfortunate it is going to become and extremely generic copy+paste corporate pud
Idk what puds you're familiar with, but i'd be interested where it's copy+pasted from haha. Imo it seems like a pretty solid transit oriented development with 1400 units of housing. That being said, adding a freshwater aquarium there would be pretty dope. Especially if it was architecturally tied into the park/lake.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2022, 9:54 PM

https://communityimpact.com/austin/c...-on-into-2022/

it's a nice improvement over land use that is currently a zero but this is pretty much the definition of generic

Old Posted Jan 7, 2022, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
https://communityimpact.com/austin/c...-on-into-2022/

it's a nice improvement over land use that is currently a zero but this is pretty much the definition of generic
Are those even final renders? I thought that was just a rough draft of what’s possible on that plot. I wouldn’t make any judgements until the official plan is out there.

That land needs to have a LOT of housing on it, not a zoo or aquarium. We’re in a housing crisis and that plot is right on a light rail station.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2022, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinchaaa View Post
Are those even final renders? I thought that was just a rough draft of what’s possible on that plot. I wouldn’t make any judgements until the official plan is out there.

That land needs to have a LOT of housing on it, not a zoo or aquarium. We’re in a housing crisis and that plot is right on a light rail station.
I would be very surprised if those renderings are what actually gets built. As an example, one only needs to look at the original plans and renderings for the Green Water Treatment Plant. If you compare those to what was actually built, it's completely different.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2022, 4:36 PM

Here is your signature tower or something similar to it.

https://www.arch2o.com/dubai-set-bre...st-skyscraper/

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin