HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Aug 5, 2014, 6:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
Two? I could see 5 towers on that site (including the two current parking structures) . I wish it would be a centerpiece super tall surrounded by 4, 50 to 60 story towers, with retail and greenery weaving through the project, connecting flower to fig and 8th, all designed by Hadid.... One can dream right
Holy shit what a dream that would be.

In all likeliness we'll be lucky to get:

A) A structure over 7 stories
B) More than 1

Old Posted Aug 5, 2014, 7:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
But not only do I like the feel it will bring to the area, I think the actual look of the place is growing on me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTLAdenizen View Post
I see what you mean. Looking at the newest rendering I'm not as offended as I was when I first saw it.

Of course we won't really know until we see it in the flesh. Hopefully it turns out at least as decent as the rendering.
I take back what I said about 8th & Grand. Looking at the newest renderings I can't help but find it despicable.

I like to think of things on a scale of 1 - 10. So:

Originally 6/10, not terrible.

When they broke ground this was the new rendering. Major downsize, but IMO upgrade in aesthetics. 5/10

Here is the most RECENT rendering. It is important to keep in mind the final product will almost certainly be a big step down from this, which IMO is a 2.5/10. On a good day.

A City government that allows this type of development in the core is despicable. :smh:

Old Posted Aug 5, 2014, 5:22 PM

Agree with you on this 100%

Old Posted Aug 7, 2014, 6:16 AM

And some more images (see pics from 2 days ago on the last page).

All taken today, August 6th 2014.

Metropolis by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Courtyard Marriott by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Dumb Broadway ideas.
3rd & Broadway by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Federal Courthouse by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

4th & Hill by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 7, 2014, 6:56 AM

Out of curiosity, what do you find dumb about the Broadway road diet?

Please follow on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram

Old Posted Aug 7, 2014, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
I had the same question, but I figured it's not the road diet per se. The temporary (I hope) planters with tiny little succulents that offer nothing to the passerby except for those who would use them as toilets. And the city will wonder why their little pretty plantings are dying. Hunter, am I right?

Old Posted Aug 7, 2014, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilcal View Post
I had the same question, but I figured it's not the road diet per se. The temporary (I hope) planters with tiny little succulents that offer nothing to the passerby except for those who would use them as toilets. And the city will wonder why their little pretty plantings are dying. Hunter, am I right?
I don't mind the planters. Real bollards would be nice, but at $10,000+ a pop I can see why they opted for something cheaper for now . At least they didn't use the plastic dividers like they used in the 2nd St tunnel that offer no protection.

Remember, this is a "dress rehearsal". The goal is to demonstrate the project's merit using inexpensive temporary materials. Then later the project is redone using better materials. I'm guessing the gravel will be replaced with true curb extensions, and the planters will be replaced with real bollards like these:

This "cheap first, expensive later" strategy has been used successfully in NYC many times under the leadership of NYC DOT commissioner Janette Sadik-Khan, including the transformation of Times Square. (I was there on opening day by the way, and can tell you that it looked far more temporary and awful than our Broadway looks now. Lots of construction cones and jersey barriers.) The success of this model in getting things done in NYC is the reason LADOT is trying it here.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2014, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Quote:

It doesn't make any sense (at the moment) on Broadway. It makes sense on Spring, and maybe 7th, where there is foot traffic.

Huizar believes if he builds wide sidewalks the people & businesses will come? The sidewalk widths are not the reason your typical Angeleno is disgusted with Broadway.

The absolute worst aspect of this project will be when the furniture rolls out. Our 10k+ homeless population 3 blocks to the east will see this as a welcoming gesture, and this whole plan will blow up in Huizars face. You don't have to take my word for it, we're only a few weeks away from this happening. Next time you're in DTLA take a look at the (very few - for a reason) benches or seating solutions around.

As for the planters, I actually think they look pretty nice. Though I've seen them used as bathrooms 3x already (and I do my best to avoid broadway).

Old Posted Aug 7, 2014, 4:42 PM

Quote:
This "cheap first, expensive later" strategy has been used successfully in NYC many times under the leadership of NYC DOT commissioner Janette Sadik-Khan, including the transformation of Times Square. (I was there on opening day by the way, and can tell you that it looked far more temporary and awful than our Broadway looks now. Lots of construction cones and jersey barriers.) The success of this model in getting things done in NYC is the reason LADOT is trying it here.
NYC had the people first who needed the extended sidewalks. A walk down Broadway now will show you the current sidewalks are already larger than they need to be.

The streetscape should’ve come last after people & businesses have returned. Only then could they have prevented the extensions from becoming hobo havens (like the parklet ousdie Syrup).

Last edited by ConstructDTLA; Aug 7, 2014 at 4:54 PM.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2014, 5:21 PM

The progression of designs of 8th and Grand is really sad. The most recent incarnation looks like a bad riff on the 70s. Eesh. How the mighty have fallen when we're reduced to this heap. It is better than AVA (currently the worst new development in downtown), but not by much. It feels so over-designed, like it's trying way too hard to be cool or hip or something. The middle incarnation was fine - modern, classy, contemporary, something that could age well. The current design one will not.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2014, 7:46 PM

Quote:
It doesn't make any sense (at the moment) on Broadway. It makes sense on Spring, and maybe 7th, where there is foot traffic.

Huizar believes if he builds wide sidewalks the people & businesses will come? The sidewalk widths are not the reason your typical Angeleno is disgusted with Broadway.

The absolute worst aspect of this project will be when the furniture rolls out. Our 10k+ homeless population 3 blocks to the east will see this as a welcoming gesture, and this whole plan will blow up in Huizars face. You don't have to take my word for it, we're only a few weeks away from this happening. Next time you're in DTLA take a look at the (very few - for a reason) benches or seating solutions around.

As for the planters, I actually think they look pretty nice. Though I've seen them used as bathrooms 3x already (and I do my best to avoid broadway).
I could be wrong, I don't see the city tolerating the homeless taking up all the seating in their flagship streetscaping project. They'll probably work with the BID security to make sure they don't. I wouldn't be surprised if they remove the furniture at night as well.

In terms of widening the sidewalks to entice new businesses...why wouldn't it work? It works in other cities. Business owners like seeing the city invest in street improvements because it instills confidence that the street isn't going to be left to backslide. Same reason that streetcar lines work so beautifully as economic development projects (even if they're pretty terrible as actual transit.)

Old Posted Aug 7, 2014, 7:50 PM

Quote:
I could be wrong, I don't see the city tolerating the homeless taking up all the seating in their flagship streetscaping project. They'll probably work with the BID security to make sure they don't. I wouldn't be surprised if they remove the furniture at night as well.

In terms of widening the sidewalks to entice new businesses...why wouldn't it work? It works in other cities. Business owners like seeing the city invest in street improvements because it instills confidence that the street isn't going to be left to backslide. Same reason that streetcar lines work so beautifully as economic development projects (even if they're pretty terrible as actual transit.)
We shall see. Homelessness on Broadway has spiked an incredible amount over the last 18 months. I'm baffled that Huizar would allow that on the 1 street that has its own clean-up initiative.

I'm not familiar with other sidewalk widening programs in other cities, which ones are you referring to? I only know of the great projects NYC has done, to sidewalks that were already packed and needed the extra breathing room.

The streetcar would be nice to have... I hope it happens. Sad to see places like Tucson, AZ and Anaheim, CA with streetcars before us!

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 2:44 AM

Quote:
The streetcar would be nice to have... I hope it happens. Sad to see places like Tucson, AZ and Anaheim, CA with streetcars before us!
In fairness, this isn't an apples-to-apples comparison. The projects in Anaheim and Tuscon both draw funding from countywide sales taxes. The LA Streetcar plan is similar in scale, but its local funds come from a much smaller population base (less than 50,000). Comparatively, it's a much larger undertaking.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2014, 3:34 AM
Environmental Sabotage

Great thread. I enjoy getting the construction updates.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 5:15 PM

Today I saw on Blackcat's site, Building Los Angeles, that Barry Shy is starting to take action on some of the projects that he has planned for DTLA. The name DT architects located in downtown was mentioned. I checked for a company website to get an idea of who they were and what the body of their work looked like, but could find nothing. Does anyone know about them? Sorry to have to say this, but anytime I hear about Barry Shy, I think second rate. Hopefully, that is not the case with this design group.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Today I saw on Blackcat's site, Building Los Angeles, that Barry Shy is starting to take action on some of the projects that he has planned for DTLA. The name DT architects located in downtown was mentioned. I checked for a company website to get an idea of who they were and what the body of their work looked like, but could find nothing. Does anyone know about them? Sorry to have to say this, but anytime I hear about Barry Shy, I think second rate. Hopefully, that is not the case with this design group.
'DT Architects' sounds like a fake name made up by Barry Shy. I highly doubt Shy OR Shomof are going to do any ground-up in the core, anytime soon. They are truly the bottom of the barrel.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 12:53 AM

Quote:
DT is short for David Takacs. Small firm, based out of Downtown.

The only renderings I've seen for any of the projects (6th/Main) are now outdated, but wasn't half bad (IMO). It looked kind of like a less ostentatious version of the dead Vibiana Tower proposal, minus the asshat.

The new design apparently wraps the podium with residential units, so it should be an improvement.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat23 View Post
DT is short for David Takacs. Small firm, based out of Downtown.

The only renderings I've seen for any of the projects (6th/Main) are now outdated, but wasn't half bad (IMO). It looked kind of like a less ostentatious version of the dead Vibiana Tower proposal, minus the asshat.

The new design apparently wraps the podium with residential units, so it should be an improvement.
That would be a nice addition if Shy was serious about it!

Thanks for the clarification about David Takacs!

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 5:34 AM

A couple pics from tonight around 9PM, August 14th 2014. Lots of night work going on at Wilshire Grand

Wilshire Grand by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Wilshire Grand by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Wilshire Grand Construction by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

New Marriott by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 16, 2014, 1:06 AM

Boy, these foreign investors (Metropolis, Wilshire Grand, Onnii) are going "balls-out." Actually, they put Related (Grand Ave.) to shame. It's interesting that others see huge potential for DTLA. So, Related needs to "shit or get off the pot," They're a joke.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos