HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jun 5, 2007, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougRockstead View Post
I just looked up a map on Mapquest and it looks as if the bridge I'm talking about is just west of "West street" on the creek, between 5th st and 3rd st.

Is this the same bridge in the photos?

Doug
There are now three bridges in this immediate area, 2 pedestrian and one road. The West Ave bridge, Pedestrian on east of West Ave, and new one, which connects to Gables sidewalk and the Monarch. You can see by the photos the bridge is new, the steel floor still does not have concrete poured on it.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...&t=h&z=19&om=1

Old Posted Jun 5, 2007, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougRockstead View Post
I just looked up a map on Mapquest and it looks as if the bridge I'm talking about is just west of "West street" on the creek, between 5th st and 3rd st.

Is this the same bridge in the photos?

Doug
I swear I am trying to help here...... there is a ped/bike bridge that runs parallel to West between 3rd and 5th.... but it is on the east side of the street. But, yeah, I think that is the one you are thinking about. Follow the trail west and as it curves to the north around the Monarch you will find the new bridge that is in the above photos!

Old Posted Jun 6, 2007, 11:32 AM
CIA since 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by austintilIdie View Post
I can't wait for Seaholm to arrive.

What's going on with the Gables and their plans for low-rises at Lamar, reconfiguring Sandra Muriada Dr. to Cesar Chavez? Will they ever break ground?

From 360 to Monarch and Spring and points between, you've got western downtown poised.

For now it seems like Spring and Legacy will be the bookends, so to speak.
From Saturday's Statesman

Old Posted Jun 6, 2007, 1:23 PM

Thanks for the update! I'm looking forward to all of these projects.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2007, 6:54 AM
Meh

The Monarch heights from the blueprints

I sent an email to find out what the heights of The Monarch will be to certain points on the building. I also got some info about its design concept.

First, I learned a little bit about the design. The east and west sides of the tower at the top will have "butterfly wings" folding up from the mainroof. This is where the name "The Monarch" comes from. These will hide the mechanical penthouse which encloses the elevator motors.

The Monarch heights are:

323 feet to the top of the "wings". This is the official height of the building.
312 feet to the top of the mechanical penthouse.
300 feet to the mainroof.
287 feet to the highest occupied floor, (the 29th floor). That height is to the 2nd level of a 2-story unit on the 29th floor.

These heights came from RTKL Associates, Inc. which is the architect of the building. The heights came from the blueprints.

The renderings. Nothing new here, just posting for reference.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2007, 12:20 PM
Austinite

Thanks for the updates Kevin. The design of the building's crown/wings has intrigued me all along. There have as of yet been no renederings released that give us a detailed view of this area. I'm really looking forward to it take shape.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2007, 11:02 PM

The views from this tower are amazing.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2007, 2:26 AM
Meh

The first of the angled roof pieces have gone up on The Monarch. Picture taken Saturday, 9/8.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2007, 4:07 AM
Member since 2001

This 30-story, 323' tower will become one of the interesting-looking towers in downtown Austin. No where near some of the "really interesting" designs popping up around the world (namely Asia, Australia, and the U.A.E.), but good enough for Texas – at least for now...

Old Posted Sep 11, 2007, 2:12 PM

I hear that while the building goes to the 29th floor (which are 2 story penthouses) indicating a 30 story building - the 13th floor has been left out. Technically a 29 story building.

Some advanced selling has begun on this building. 31 units sold on Saturday - some on Sunday (sorry, I don't have a count on those).

*I am a Realtor who represents buyers downtown and have no affiliation with the building or the listing agent. That being said, there seem to be some temendous values in this building. Some of the units in this first round of units are in the $280's per foot! PM me if you would like more info re: the pre-selling phase.

Other interesting news:

One bedrooms and three bedrooms get priority on purchasing extra parking spots. $25K each. The parking structure will be five levels (much higher than it is now) with parking on the roof (all "extra" spots are roof top parking). 78 storage units available @ $6K each.

HOA dues - $.30/foot - GREAT! This was attributed to being on the COA cold water loop.

Kevin

Old Posted Sep 11, 2007, 3:13 PM

Maybe I'm reading this wrong but $25,000 for an extra parking spot and $6,000 for as storage unit? Really? I hope I'm just reading that wrong.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2007, 6:51 PM

Yep. That is correct. Similar prices at the 360 too...

It is rumored that the resale parking places across the street at Austin City lofts trade in the upper $30K's...(they are covered spots though)

Also, if the storage spaces could be leased out at +/- $75/month, they would be one of the best cashflow investments downtown!

Old Posted Sep 12, 2007, 2:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinb View Post
I hear that while the building goes to the 29th floor (which are 2 story penthouses) indicating a 30 story building - the 13th floor has been left out. Technically a 29 story building.
Correct. Monarch has 29 floors. The two-level penthouses are on the 28th and 29th floors. If it is being called a 30 storey tower, it is because they are not counting the 13th floor and shifting the floor numbers down 1 level.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2007, 2:57 AM

Does anyone have any recent photos of the garage? They began erecting precast a week or two ago.

Last edited by jsoto3; Sep 12, 2007 at 3:10 AM.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2007, 3:42 AM

Quote:

It is rumored that the resale parking places across the street at Austin City lofts trade in the upper $30K's...(they are covered spots though)

Also, if the storage spaces could be leased out at +/- $75/month, they would be one of the best cashflow investments downtown!
Hmmm..... That might be an issue to other home owners though - strangers off the street renting parking spaces and storage units. How would that work?

Old Posted Sep 12, 2007, 4:35 AM

Quote:

I really find that hard to believe that a parking space at the 360/monarch/ACL is more expensive than a ton of cars!

Someone really needs to explain to me why a painted section of concrete costs so much.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2007, 2:00 PM

It wouldn't be marketable to strangers off the street - only to owners/tenants that have access to the building.

There are 78 storage units for 305 residential units.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2007, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsjv View Post
I really find that hard to believe that a parking space at the 360/monarch/ACL is more expensive than a ton of cars!

Someone really needs to explain to me why a painted section of concrete costs so much.

For perspective, you can easily spend more than the price of a decent used car on the upgrade to 100% hardwoods in either building's unit. Or more than a new Mercedes payment on HOA dues at some of the luxury buildings in order to be able to send the concierge out to get your dry cleaning!

The parking space makes a much better investment than many things you could spend the money on...

Old Posted Sep 12, 2007, 2:50 PM
JDSII

New Renderings

Old Posted Sep 12, 2007, 7:19 PM

280 a foot? Thats insane! Is anyone else here thinking this is a great deal? My family has been looking for a nice condo for sometime, I may convince them to do this. What is everyone else's opinion on the Monarch condos?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin