HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Aug 29, 2010, 7:12 PM

I thought that since there was going to be a spire/tv antenna ontop of the building they would need a Hat Truss

Old Posted Aug 29, 2010, 7:54 PM
Metal Up Your !

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
Not much of a photo, but I was in Jersey City last week for work and snapped this quick photo from the waterfront. A lot bigger than when I was in town last October. Hopefully when I make it back next year it will be bearing the top.

Goddang, I thought the tower was taller than it is. All those picture taken right next to and looking up the tower made it seem way taller. Damn you perception!

Old Posted Aug 29, 2010, 8:25 PM
Honored Member

You are assuming that Tower One because of it's hight and the spire requires the same structural elements as the Twins. Your assumption is wrong.

Nowhereman1280 is rather close to the mark.

The core takes a bit more than half the gravity load of the entire tower and the spire sits directly on top of the core. No need for a hat truss, the core takes all the gravity load of the spire.

The perimeter steel takes most of the wind loads. The spire is anchored to the perimeter steel via 8 six inch diameter Kevlar cables. No need for a hat truss the perimeter steel takes all the wind load. (Kevlar because it is invisible to electromagnetic radiation.)

Each exterior wall of the tower is called a wind frame, it has to be thought of as a solid plane of steel because that is how it reacts under load.

One last thing, each floor of Tower One is also a strong structural element in and of itself securing the core to the perimeter. (The ends of the main floor beams are actually dovetailed into the concrete walls of the core, something impossible to do if the core were to rise ahead of the floors.)
(Never expect a non-technical answer to a technical question-- Albert Einstein)

Last edited by Zensteeldude; Aug 29, 2010 at 9:13 PM.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2010, 9:43 PM

The hat trusses were meant to redistribute wind loads from the perimeter walls to the core. On 9/11, with three walls compensating for one damaged one, the loads were redistributed through the hat trusses to an already weakened core, which ironically brought the towers down.

1WTC turns 45 degrees on its base, and unlike the twins, it can probably cut though high winds with no problem. The renderings on 1WTC make it look as if the spire's cables are attached to the communications ring. Thanks for the input, Zen. It's amazing what we can make concrete do.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2010, 10:25 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BStyles View Post
The hat trusses were meant to redistribute wind loads from the perimeter walls to the core. On 9/11, with three walls compensating for one damaged one, the loads were redistributed through the hat trusses to an already weakened core, which ironically brought the towers down.

1WTC turns 45 degrees on its base, and unlike the twins, it can probably cut though high winds with no problem. The renderings on 1WTC make it look as if the spire's cables are attached to the communications ring. Thanks for the input, Zen. It's amazing what we can make concrete do.
The rendering you refer to is old and outdated.

On the prints there are 2 load factors for each perimeter column, expressed in KIPS, the maximum load under compression, and the maximum load under tension, or, the max load if the column is on the Leeward side of the tower or the maximum load if the column is on the windward side. ( Think Hurricane force winds.)

If you put enough rebar in it concrete well sit up and beg, or go fetch a ball.

One day I tried to count the number of #11 rebars running vertically in the core, I gave up ! (First time I ever saw #20 rebar, in 30 years of construction, was at Tower One.)

PS: rebar is numbered by how thick it is in 1/8ths of an inch, #4 rebar is half inch or 12.7mm.

Last edited by Zensteeldude; Aug 29, 2010 at 10:40 PM.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2010, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winlinmac001 View Post
Also, my next question may be silly for some of the high-end enthusiasts here, but for the noobs--what is cladding? Is it the exterior wall (curtain wall)? That's how I'm interpreting it.

Thanks =)
Yes, it's the outside material (glass, bricks, stucco, etc.) used to cover the building.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2010, 11:37 PM
Honored Member

In the case of Tower One the curtain wall refers to the outside skin of the building ABOVE the 20th floor slab. Below that is somethig a bit different comprised of prysmatic glass or plastic panels backed by stainless steel grating.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2010, 12:25 AM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2010, 1:23 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotizzy View Post
Goddang, I thought the tower was taller than it is. All those picture taken right next to and looking up the tower made it seem way taller. Damn you perception!
As it stands now it would be something like the 28th tallest tower in all of Texas and something like the 487th tallest tower in the US and it still has nearly 1,000 feet to go !! (Not counting the spire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Your perception is skewed by the fact that it's in NEW YORK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Posted Aug 30, 2010, 2:38 AM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotizzy View Post
Well, it's sitting amongst a pile of giants and the photo is from pushing a mile away. It's only 1/4th of the way there, but it is going to be a beast.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2010, 10:31 AM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Aug 30, 2010 at 10:43 AM.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2010, 2:21 PM

Quick shot from Governors Island:

Old Posted Aug 30, 2010, 2:36 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Another 4 floors and it should eclipse Barclay-Vesey. The next big landmark will be passing up 7 WTC. Good to see 123 Washington finally getting closed up on the south side too.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Aug 30, 2010, 2:37 PM
Editor

Verizon is surpassed soon...

Old Posted Aug 30, 2010, 3:31 PM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Just moved 6 floors higher in my building, 1WTC is clearly visible as being about the same height as the Park Row Building now.

also I have a view of midtown now!

Old Posted Aug 30, 2010, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGII View Post
Just moved 6 floors higher in my building, 1WTC is clearly visible as being about the same height as the Park Row Building now.

Wow, amazing view. And a perfect angle for 1wtc over the next 2 years.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2010, 4:32 PM
Editor

Lovely shot CGII!!

Some images I found at SSC:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...19362&page=788

Old Posted Aug 30, 2010, 4:47 PM

^
Great shots!

Old Posted Aug 30, 2010, 6:02 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGII View Post

Nice shots! I am, oh, what's the word?... jealous.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2010, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
Another 4 floors and it should eclipse Barclay-Vesey. The next big landmark will be passing up 7 WTC. Good to see 123 Washington finally getting closed up on the south side too.
actually its going to take more then that to surpass the varcey aka verizon building. because tower 1v2 is 401.7 feet high now and the verizon building is 500 feet tall. so you got about 98 feet left, so you divide 98 feet divided by 13.4=7.3 floors left. so 4 more raises with the floor building and it will topple the verizon building and i predict it will be some time the end of october of 2010.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive