HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Aug 16, 2008, 2:26 PM

Interesting story on WEAR's website:

Lambda Rail "Global Information System Hub" Comes To Pensacola

PENSACOLA, FLORIDA -A major innovation could be the hook that many hope lures high paying jobs to the Pensacola area.

It's called the Lambda Rail... Part of a global information sharing system and a hub is going in right here in Pensacola.

Channel Three's Dan Thomas explains.

Doctor Huy Nguyen owns Cogon systems .... it's a company allows doctors to search for your medical records...

Huy B. Nguyen, MD: "Just like Google indexes the internet we index people's patient records."

He can pull up lab results from years ago and thousands of miles away... Within seconds.

Huy B. Nguyen, MD: "Let's view the clinical summery of that."

But he can't pull up images... Something that will soon change, thanks to the Lambda Rail.

Huy B. Nguyen, MD: "We'll be able to for providers to not only view a cumulative record but to say, you know what I'm interested in this head CT from Baptist, let me just view it." "And if I view that, I may not order another head CT."

Huy B. Nguyen, MD: "It could save patients a lot of money, it saves all of us the entire system a lot of money."

Huy B. Nguyen, MD: "I think the Lambda rail will be tremendous to the growth of the health information exchange."

Dan Thomas/Reporter: "If you think of the internet as a series of pipes that cary information, this is the connection you probably use now... This is the Lambda Rail."

Craig Dalton/Pensacola Chamber of Commerce: "The day after we got the grant award, my phone started ringing off the hook."

Dan Thomas/Reporter: "You got calls that fast?"

Craig Dalton/Pensacola Chamber of Commerce: "That fast, it was amazing the word was out and it's still out."

Pensacola Chamber Of Commerce Vice President Craig Dalton is hoping the Lambda Rail brings some high paying jobs to the Pensacola area.

Craig Dalton/Pensacola Chamber of Commerce: "When I flip out the Lambda Rail Card, it changes completely. The conversation changes completely. Because we're immediately recognized as a player."

Old Posted Aug 17, 2008, 4:44 PM

This PNJ article summarizes stuff I've touched on, but the great nugget is that University Mall (Simon) has actually submitted their plans to the county for the planned redevelopment. That is a huge step, IMO. ..................

Panhandle economy shows signs of recovery

One by one, tentative signs of an economic recovery in the Pensacola Bay Area are making themselves known.

After a brutal summer of $4-a-gallon gas, job layoffs, foreclosures, inflation and business failures, finally there are a few rays of hope.

Last week local developers announced plans to start construction this fall on two new hotels on Pensacola Beach.

A new 206-room, $60 million Holiday Inn will be built by Julian MacQueen's Innisfree Hotels.

And Little Sabine Inc., backed by American Fidelity Life Insurance, said it will start construction on a 162-room, $50 million Hotel Indigo, also on Pensacola Beach.

Both hotels are expected to be ready for occupancy in the spring of 2010 and create a couple hundred new jobs.

Those 368 additional hotel rooms will push Pensacola Beach's total to 1,297, a 37 percent increase over the 946 hotel and motel rooms that existed just before Hurricane Ivan.

Of course, two new beach hotels for tourists do not a recovery make.

But it's encouraging to see savvy, successful developers bet more than $100 million that one is out there in the not-so-distant future.

And there's more capital investment in Pensacola's future on the way.

University Mall****************

Mega-developer Simon Property Group, after more than a year's delay, has submitted plans to Escambia County for the complete renovation of University Mall.

Simon's plans call for an open-air "lifestyle center" with 13 new retail buildings to be built in between the existing Sears, JCPenney and Belk stores.

The Development Review Application was submitted to the county last month, and calls for the demolition of the existing mall, which has seen an exodus of retailers in recent months.

"We are working through the site plan items with Escambia County ... and it's our desire to begin demolition in early 2009," said Simon spokesman Les Morris.

Simon's next step, once the county's comments are addressed, will be obtaining a development order and then building permit.

Construction and expansion**********

Navy Federal, fast climbing the list of largest employers in the area, is moving forward with construction of Building 4 at its Heritage Oaks campus in Beulah.

The 265,000-square-foot office complex — larger than Gulf Power's headquarters building — will cost about $75 million and house more than 1,000 employees.

When all four buildings are complete, the credit union will employ more than 3,500.

And despite recent cutbacks in commercial air service, the city broke ground Friday on a scaled down expansion of Pensacola Regional Airport's main terminal.

All the above projects will come on line some time in 2010 or early 2011, and with them will come jobs, profits to the private sector and revenue to local governments.

Of course it's no sure thing the local economy will be in full recovery mode by then.

But money talks, and the above big-ticket projects do speak to confidence in Pensacola's future.

(I need to get you guys some photos of Navy Federal's Pensacola Campus...very impressive.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2008, 3:54 AM

I just read that today and I was going to post it lol. But that's encouraging news! Too bad that I'll be off to college by the time any of that stuff is completed.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2008, 11:59 PM

Pensacola native, new to Forum

Hello,

Craig here.
Pensacola native who has lived in Tampa Bay since 1989. I always keep up with Pensacola news. When Hilton and Civic Center went up in 80"s, I thought Pensacola was on it's way with tall structures.
Well at least the beaches have some impressive buildings.

Is the new Holiday Inn a replacement for the Embassy Suites on Pcola Beach?
Seems Embassy Suites was also going to open outside of Pensacola Airport entrance, but that has fallen through. Anybody know what has happened to Embassy Suites plans for the area?They are very nice hotels.
Living down here I have seen some cities the same size as Pensacola get bigger skylines.Google Sarasota, Ft Myers, and Clearwater's downtowns.
Pensacola's skyline is a huge disappointment for an urban area over 450,000.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 7:30 PM

Welcome to the forum! Yep, Pensacola's skyline isn't much to be proud of... But there could be hope on the horizon. There were several condo's planned for downtown that would change the skyline and the face of downown if they get built. But that's probably a ways off with the current real estate market... But I personally think that downtown Pensacola will make a big comeback sometime soon. When all of the planned projects are finished, it will be a great place (the park, no more sewer plant, new apartments and condo's).

I don't know what happened with the Embassy plans... Right now they're building a Staples where I thought the hotel would go up
Who knows, there's still a lot of open space in that area, and the hotel could still be in the works.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 7:49 PM

Hey Craig, I'd also like to welcome you. Please stick around. Over the course of this Pensacola thread, I've probably shared too many cynical and negative reasons why Pensacola is what it is, so I hate to start it up again. I'll just sum up by saying we are (as a whole) what we deserve to be at this point I think. And yes, it is quite a bit sad.

We have a lot of very anti-anything-development people here...but I can't imagine it'd be any more than you could find in lots of formerly quiet places in South Florida. I guess it can only be explained by combining that fact with another....we elect and re-elect people who are in it only for themselves and their insular group who might stand to gain from any progress. If something doesn't fit that bill or erodes their overall power and stature...you'll only know we missed out when that possible development shows up somewhere else (cruise ships, race tracks, port business, etc for example). Being born and raised here myself (and really wanting the best for this area regardless of my own livlihood), all I can do is continue to be optomistic while trying to figure out how I could help things change in some small way.

Hey BigBird, I hope like hell there will be something here to attract you back after college. Maybe we can get you as close as Mobile. One of the saddest parts of what "doesn't" happen in Pensacola is the loss of all our brain power and ambition as they are forced to go to Tampa, Atlanta, etc to realize their dreams. I'd guess 95% of the motivated people I went to Escambia with or graduated from UWF with...have wisely moved on to pastures where they could leave a mark. Maybe in 5-6 years there will be something to draw you back. It'd be great if you could realize your potential here.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 12:21 AM

Thanks for the welcome

To both of you....thanks.
Believe it or not, there was a plan to build a 25 story and 17 story condo right on the hill at the base of 3 mile bridge. Mid 80's. I remember salivating and cutting out that newspaper clipping.
Recently , smaller condos have been offered.The Tarragona, 111 Spring, etc are nice, but not tall.
Economics is exactly why I had to leave home and move to Tampa.Good skyline.

I always wished a tall tower would be built near First Baptist up on a hill.Good place for any highrise.
Never gonna happen, but I also have thought a Space Needle type of observation tower would forever be an asset to the area. Imagine a "Western Gate Tower" that had a revolving top or something iconic.
Fun to dream.Forward thinkers are needed.
Push for annexation.Find incentives for more Lamda Rail types of things.
The city needs to keep up with the Beach and surrounding counties.
Things can only go up.

Thanks again.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 12:42 AM

Craig...I remember that 25 story plan well. It was just after the Hilton (now grand Hotel) was complete. Anything seemed possible at the time. That thing would looked 50 stories tall in that location coming over the bridge. It was a brown, ugly, typical concrete condo of the time. But I'd still rather it had been built to inspire others (and relax uptight downtown crowd types) than none at all. Since then, I think that neighborhood has instituted height restrictions. So it could never show up again.

I think we are going to need a company to come in and almost "force" Pensacola to want them. On my watch...that doesn't happen in my lifetime. Microsoft hasn't come to save us despite ourselves. Nor has any other corporation. Nor will they till we change our goals.

Back to high rises for a minute...I was involved with a building (before the credit crunch) on the hill above Gregory Street (Heinberg). Our max height was 9 stories for whatever reason. I'm not sure why, I never checked. I'd hope that isn't the height limit all over town...I need to check into that.

I'll find out and report back.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 3:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskavon View Post
Hey BigBird, I hope like hell there will be something here to attract you back after college. Maybe we can get you as close as Mobile. One of the saddest parts of what "doesn't" happen in Pensacola is the loss of all our brain power and ambition as they are forced to go to Tampa, Atlanta, etc to realize their dreams. I'd guess 95% of the motivated people I went to Escambia with or graduated from UWF with...have wisely moved on to pastures where they could leave a mark. Maybe in 5-6 years there will be something to draw you back. It'd be great if you could realize your potential here.
Well I really have no clue where I'll end up. If I can find a good job in the area, then great! But who knows. I won't be going to college here, not that UWF is a bad school, but I want to major in political science, and I'm considering some pretty good schools in that department. I'm going to graduate from high school this spring (senior year ), but I'll have my A.A. in Pre-law from PJC this December via dual-enrollment classes. So I won't be going there either lol. I want to go to law school (as you've probably guessed) so it would be cool if I could land a job here in the future. But yeah I know what you mean about UWF being a "brain-drain." I have several friends going there this year, and none of them plan or want to stay in the area.

But wait.... there was a 25 story building proposed by the three mile bridge??? That would have been sweet. Does anyone know if there are any plans for the empty land off Senic Hwy. across from the CVS (I think) and next to that condo? That would be a prime location to build another residential building. I don't think that there is a 9 story limit on buildings... I know that the 111 Spring Street project is about 12 stories. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question...

As soon as I figure out how to upload pictures onto my laptop, and post pictures on here, I'm going to go around Pensacola and take some pics... I hope. And once again, has anyone seen the Blue Angel toys on the freeway et? Am I the only one who thinks it looks ridiculous?

Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 11:55 AM

Behind other communities

Leadership is sorely lacking on a broad scale in Escambia County.
There should already be a connector to I-65. No, not from I-110 but from old Exit 1(US 90). That is the closest a spur could connect to I-65 near Atmore.
Large mall would be great where 9Mile road meets I-10. How do Destin and Spanish Fort beat Pensacola? It's a rhetorical question, most of know the answer.Leadership.
Also, pay whatever to move the Catholic church in Gulf Breeze and build a new 3 mile bridge that goes directly to Bob Sikes Bridge and splits to join US 98 in Gulf Breeze. Several miles later it could tie in to Garcon Point.
The current bridge is a joke.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 6:09 PM

In this hypothetical connector, the road should continue south of I-10 to Perdido and NAS. I think a direct freeway from I-65 down to Perdido would do wonders for Escambia county. The growth along that corridor would help bridge the gap between Mobile and Pensacola, and it would be a straight shot from I-65 to the beach. Also, it would be nice to extend I-110 and it could head NW to meet with the connector.

I've always wondered why nothing has been built on the I-10/9Mile exit, or the North West corner of I-10 and Pine Forest. Both look like they'd be great locations for a shopping center. But I think it's kind of hopeless, since threre are two very large shopping centers only about 25-30 minutes away in Baldwin County. If they don't build something there, they should build it on Hwy. 29 in Cantonment. There are tons of new neighborhoods planned for northern Escambia county. Not to mention, it's pretty sad that there's only one major shopping destination in a metro of over 450,000 (the Cordova/University Mall area). There really needs to be another commercial area other than that small section of Pensacola... Davis, Airport, Bayou, and 9th are quickly turning into nightmares to drive.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 9:27 PM

I-10/I-65 connector

BigBird.
South to Perdido would be good.
Heck, after it's built, have Six Flags come in and build a "Six Flags Lost Key".
Years ago, rumors of a 5 Flags version of Six Flags was mentioned.
I know..... save the Pitcher Prairie Plant.

Northern Escambia is the next logical business park area.
Central Commerce is fine, but way more parks with cheap land are needed.
The hi-tech downtown area should be pushed, and pushed.
Fun to discuss.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2008, 2:36 AM

The huge Navy Federal complex (3,000 employees) is being built in a new commerce type park area about a 1/2 mile west of the 9 mile road exit. So maybe things will start to fill in there.

BigBird....here is an article about those pet peeve planes you've been mentioning, lol. Apparently, they are only just getting started on putting them up all over the interstate. I've only seen them from far above on the 110 flyover bridge...so I'll reserve comment for now.

http://www.pnj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...#pluckcomments

Old Posted Aug 23, 2008, 4:48 PM

Navy Federal is a good start

My parents live in Seminole now, so I see the Navy Federal campus every few months.Very impressive. Add the huge neighborhood going up across the street and tentative WalMart(not another one!), and it looks good for now.
South to Perdido will probably take 30 years.
There is a plan to start a new exit at Beulah road on I-10 but not for a connector.Rather, a bypass that will cross all the way over Milton and tie in to 98 is proposed. THIS ROAD MUST HAPPEN. That road would then be the catapult for a I-65 connector.Cantonment and the far NW Escambia County would stand to benefit the most from these 2 roads.20 years from now, I hope they are a reality.
There is awebsite about this bypass, but I cannot find/remember it.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2008, 5:39 PM

Here is probably the site you had seen that on before Craig....

http://www.nwftca.com/html/home.html

various .pdf's on that site with info regarding this (North Pensacola Beltway - limited access) and other intersting things such as new bay bridge routes to Avalon from the airport.

http://www.nwftca.com/html/boardmeet...esentation.pdf

...the latest meeting info. (looks like they dropped the I-65 dreams from their revised Master Plan for 2008.) Ugh.

http://www.nwftca.com/html/mp_phase1...PlanPhase1.pdf

....all sorts of stuff. Check page 56.

http://www.nwftca.com/html/mp_phase2...-Plan-2007.pdf

...page 12.

http://www.nwftca.com/html/overview/...ernative-4.pdf

...basic stuff. Only expected to cost $730 million. Bay bridge $430 million. I-65 conector.....$1.12 billion. Good luck.

Last edited by Muskavon; Aug 23, 2008 at 5:58 PM.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2008, 1:20 AM

Where exactly is that propsed Walmart going to be? You'd think that the giant peice of land just west of the Navy Federal campus would be great for some development. I drive past there pretty often as well; I live pretty close. It does look really nice, and that neighborhood across from it is incredibly huge.... probably the biggest one that I can think of in the Pensacola area.

Hopefully that beltway does get built. And it looks like another freeway would start near Navarre and go all the way to Panama City, which would be even better if it connected to the Pensacola beltway near Milton. If that beltway gets built, Northern Escambia and Santa Rosa counties would explode.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2008, 9:03 PM

WalMart

BigBird,

The giant piece of land is still owned by the Navy, I believe.
They were training fields for helicopters.At night you can see Monsanto and the Paper Mill to the North. The Albertsons at Pine Forest & Nine Mile and that entire subdivision was also on land just like that.Those fields were everwhere during and after WWII.
The land West of Navy Federal could be a huge office park.

Don't know exact location, but believe WalMart would be East of Navy Federal, maybe Southeast.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2008, 6:50 PM

All sorts of development/area news hits the Pensacola News Journal today....(check out the pdf link in the beach development article)....

Navy gives green light to National Flight Academy

http://www.pnj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...WS01/808280339

After seven years of planning, the U.S. Navy on Wednesday approved construction of the National Flight Academy at the National Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola.

Adm. Gerry Hoewing said the Navy already is releasing funds to move forward with design and construction of the $19.5 million academy.
"We've been working on this for the last year," Hoewing said. "We haven't been too vocal about it in the press, because you don't want to over-promise and under-produce."

Hoewing said construction may begin in early 2009.

Pensacola-based Caldwell Associates and Greenhut Construction were chosen as the architect and general contractor for the project.

The facility's opening is planned for May 8, 2011 — the 100th anniversary of the birth of Naval aviation.

"The vision of the National Flight Academy is to provide an environment where students in seventh grade to 12th grade would have the opportunity to study science and math with aviation as the focus," Hoewing said.
Students in the program will spend a little over five days living at the academy, which will have a Naval aviation theme. Bunk rooms will look like aircraft carrier state rooms, and classrooms will look like carrier ready rooms, Hoewing said.

"They will eat, sleep, live, study and play in the National Flight Academy. It's going to be a great hands-on learning experience," Hoewing said.
Tuition for the program is expected to be $895 a student, which includes food and housing.

"Our vision is that about 50 percent of the students will be on some sort of scholarship program," Hoewing said. "We want to make sure this opportunity is available for all students."

Originally approved in 2001, the Naval Aviation Museum Foundation has since raised more than $30 million for the project. Enterprise Rent-a-Car was the biggest donor, with other donations coming from private investors, major corporations and aerospace industries, Hoewing said.

"Economically, this will have a significant impact to the Northwest Florida region," Hoewing said. "When you bring 264 students into the National Flight Academy from all around the country, a substantial portion are going to bring their parents.

"Most importantly, this is something that needs to be done for our American youth in order for them to get excited about science technology and math."
Susan Cundiff, a teacher at Gulf Breeze High School, said that the program will be a positive learning experience for students.

"It's great science, and it's definitely great physics and math," Cundiff said. "It's good for them to see how science and math work together and how they are applied."

ExxonMobil unveils local tire facility

http://www.pnj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...NESS/808280327

ExxonMobil Chemical unveiled a new manufacturing facility in central Escambia County that will create a revolutionary new line of tire inner liners designed to significantly reduce air loss.

The liners will be made with Exxcore DVA, or dynamically vulcanized alloy, and the Pensacola facility, located on Chemstrand Road near the Solutia plant, will be the only facility in the world manufacturing the material.

Plant manager Louis Davis said this $10 million addition prompted the second expansion for the central Escambia County site in three years and recently opened 30 new jobs with more expected to become available as the site grows.

The Exxcore DVA combines rubber and plastic to hold air seven to 10 times better than conventional tires made with halobutyl, Exxon officials said.
Global marketing and sales manager Mike Gallagher said because fuel economy is affected by tire pressure, the product line could save Americans millions of dollars in gas.

"It represents significant potential for annual fuel savings of almost 700 million gallons of gasoline and over 6 million tons per year of potential greenhouse gasses that could be eliminated," Gallagher said. "That's the equivalent of taking a million cars off the road."

The tire liners are 50 percent more durable than standard liners, which improves speed rating and potentially extends tire life.

Global Marketing Manager Vanessa Talbot said Pensacola's facility was chosen to spearhead this effort because it already manufactures products similar to Exxcore DVA, so the transition would be easier.

"We're very confident in its success," Talbot said. "The product has already been tested by every major car company in the world."

Exxon spokeswoman Susan Kattelus said companies should begin manufacturing the tires within the next two years.

The Yokohama Rubber Co. plans to begin making tires with the inner lines this year, and Cheng Shin Rubber Company, the makers of "MAXXIS" brand, plan to debut their tires in 2009.

SRIA talks beach development

http://www.pnj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...WS01/808280342

http://www.pnj.com/assets/pdf/DP116631828.PDF

The Santa Rosa Island Authority is looking at conceptual drawings that call for building multiple parking garages and commercial buildings on Pensacola Beach.

The SRIA board hopes to develop the core business area of the beach where the bulk of commercial businesses are concentrated in the area surrounding Quietwater Boardwalk and Casino Beach. The idea is to attract more businesses to build on the beach.

At Wednesday's SRIA committee meeting, Carter Quina, principal partner of Quina Grundhoefer Architects, presented a conceptual design for how the core area could be developed.

"We are looking at a fresh approach to mostly address the parking issue on Pensacola Beach," Quina said.

Here's what the drawings include:

** Four parking garages, with four levels each, to be built in phases. The plan would include two parking decks in the existing Casino Beach parking lot and two decks at the current site of the SRIA office.

** A 64,000-square-foot, three-level commercial building on the Quietwater Sound side. It would include SRIA offices.

** A 130,000-square-foot, six-level commercial building on the Gulf side near Casino Beach parking area.

** Retail space in front of the parking garages to help disguise the look of them.

** A pedestrian foot bridge across Via de Luna, and a pedestrian area alongside the Casino Beach parking decks leading to the Gulf.

** The Visitors Information Center off Via de Luna would be relocated into space in front of one of the parking decks.

SRIA board chairman Thomas Campanella said he liked the conceptual design and that board members would be reviewing the drawings to discuss the details of them at its next meeting.

Local firm lands $43M contract

TECHSOFT will provide Web-based training for Naval tech center

http://www.pnj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...NESS/808280326

Old Posted Aug 29, 2008, 2:33 AM

Great stuff

The Beach parking and retail plans are great.
An iconic pedestrian bridge looks really doable.
The core being transformed is a godsend.
Can't say enough how much better the beach can look.

Love the Flight Academy, but will wait to see more progress.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2008, 3:10 AM

That flight academy looks pretty cool! And the beach stuff sounds amazing.

Lets hope it all goes through

And has anyone else noticed that only three people have made up this entire page of posts? lol.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast