HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Jul 4, 2014, 5:35 AM

Though it's not actually news, this is how the tramways and cablecars look today in gorgeous San Francisco (recorded almost 1 month ago):

Video Link

Old Posted Jul 4, 2014, 7:16 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

We call them cable cars and streetcars. 'Trams' are a European term that no one uses here. From where are you?

Old Posted Jul 4, 2014, 8:07 AM
Aspiring Amateur

I remember some of my older relatives from the midwest would occasionally use the word "tram," and I think Disney may call their rail systems "trams" in some official capacity. Though you're right, it's hardly used on this side of the Atlantic anymore. The ambiguous "light rail" seems to have replaced it in many cities.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2014, 9:36 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesCO View Post
I remember some of my older relatives from the midwest would occasionally use the word "tram," and I think Disney may call their rail systems "trams" in some official capacity. Though you're right, it's hardly used on this side of the Atlantic anymore. The ambiguous "light rail" seems to have replaced it in many cities.
We have cable cars, streetcars, and light rail. We also have heavy rail and commuter rail.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2014, 2:31 PM
Show me the blueprints

Denver Tramway was the exception to the rule.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jul 4, 2014, 6:48 PM
Transport Planner

Quote:
That's interesting. I always assumed tram was interchangeable with streetcar/trolly. Light-rail always felt like something in between a Tram and traditional [Heavy-Rail] Subway. The terms have always felt unclear to me, to be honest. It would probably be nice to clarify, since it can lead to people not really understanding what they're getting (e.g. people thinking of SF's street cars when a light rail proposal comes forward - I think we saw this reaction in LA, no?).

Old Posted Jul 5, 2014, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflint View Post
We call them cable cars and streetcars. 'Trams' are a European term that no one uses here. From where are you?

From Argentina, which follows the european traditional names (at least in most cases). We also call them "troles" here. That also makes me remember the brazilian "bondinhos", which are very similar

Old Posted Jul 5, 2014, 2:05 AM
Aspiring Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post
That's interesting. I always assumed tram was interchangeable with streetcar/trolly. Light-rail always felt like something in between a Tram and traditional [Heavy-Rail] Subway. The terms have always felt unclear to me, to be honest. It would probably be nice to clarify, since it can lead to people not really understanding what they're getting (e.g. people thinking of SF's street cars when a light rail proposal comes forward - I think we saw this reaction in LA, no?).
I would say that streetcar and light rail are the two most common terms here, though it depends. It is very ambiguous, especially considering that streetcars and light rail often use very similar technology. Important things to consider are train consist sizes, right of way, station vs. stop design, frequency, and distance, though it still can be murky. Most systems that are considered light rail in North American cities, such as Denver's, San Diego's, or Calgary's, will share right of way and provide service to stops within close distance of each other in downtown areas, effectively making them streetcars at the core, though nobody would ever call those systems streetcars. Meanwhile, San Francisco's Muni Metro takes a combination of everything — underground subway in the urban core, light rail-style above ground stations on the new T Third line, and streetcar-style service almost everywhere else.

Here's a good article that explores this a little better:
http://www.humantransit.org/2010/03/...ifference.html

Old Posted Jul 5, 2014, 4:05 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
I would say that streetcar and light rail are the two most common terms here, though it depends. It is very ambiguous, especially considering that streetcars and light rail often use very similar technology. Important things to consider are train consist sizes, right of way, station vs. stop design, frequency, and distance, though it still can be murky.
Here's a good article that explores this a little better:
http://www.humantransit.org/2010/03/...ifference.html
I believe consist sizes is the major differential. Light rail usually involves multiple vehicles in a train - whereas streetcars usually involves single vehicles.
But there are exceptions to this simple rule of thumb.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 8:41 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

A sneak peek at the next generation of Muni Metro cars:

According to KGO 7, the MTA board of directors will vote to buy 261 Siemens light rail vehicles. They'll be built at Siemens' manufacturing plant in Sacramento, and they'll first run on the Central Subway in late 2016.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 3:35 AM
Aspiring Amateur

Wow, they made that decision and will have the cars delivered in the time the BART board of directors quarreled over two hand poles. Those cars look nice though, whichever one they choose.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 1:55 PM
BANNED

Very nice models but I think they should choose a better color. That brown-orange is a boring color.

Perhaps a bright yellow would help it, visually speaking?

Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 3:18 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eveningsong View Post
Very nice models but I think they should choose a better color. That brown-orange is a boring color.

Perhaps a bright yellow would help it, visually speaking?
Having Giants' colors on the light rail vehicle in front of the stadium they play in isn't boring. That's being a loyal fan and showing team and city spirit.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 9:41 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Muni's livery is not now, nor will it be, brown-orange. Rather, it is silver, dark grey and a very bright red.

Image: SFMTA

Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 10:48 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Looks mighty fine!

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 4:24 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Another rendering from the SFMTA and some additional information, via streetsblog:

The purchase of Muni’s next metro train fleet took a major step forward today as the the SFMTA Board of Directors unanimously approved a manufacturing contract with Siemens.

Muni officials lauded the design of the new trains as far superior to the current, abysmally breakdown prone fleet of light-rail vehicles, which were built by AnsaldoBreda. The fleet of 260 new trains will be manufactured by the German company Siemens at its Sacramento factory, and will roll out over several years starting at the end of 2016.
The SFMTA Board authorized the agency to spend up $1,192,651,577 to purchase up to 260 Siemens trains, to be rolled out in phases by 2028. The first batch of 24 trains is expected to be phased in from the end of 2016 to 2018, and thus ready in time for the completion of the Central Subway in 2019.

Haley called Siemens an “industry leader,” and said the company has a proven record, with about 1,300 of its trains used by North American transit systems. He said that Siemens has a “strong and consistent track record of meeting delivery schedules.”
The new models will come with several variations, and will be able to couple with Breda trains — which will continue to run in conjunction with Siemens trains for years, until the current fleet is completely retired. Haley noted that the train cars will also be able to couple and de-couple easily, and allow Muni to run trains as long as four cars long.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 6:39 AM
Aspiring Amateur

Quote:
The new models will come with several variations, and will be able to couple with Breda trains — which will continue to run in conjunction with Siemens trains for years, until the current fleet is completely retired. Haley noted that the train cars will also be able to couple and de-couple easily, and allow Muni to run trains as long as four cars long.
I like the sound of that! (As long as residents don't complain again, that is.)

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 4:45 PM

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 7:09 PM

So there are going to be three different car designs? What's the point of that? It seems like it'll just raise maintenance time/costs as different car styles will have different parts.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 3:22 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Siemens provided three different options. The public will get some input, but the agency is most likely going to keep the same livery colors.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation