HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Apr 10, 2008, 2:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don B. View Post
Why do I have this feeling Phoenix "ain't gonna get it," especially with the current economic climate?

Video Link

--don

Sadly, I agree.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2008, 4:48 AM

Kontakt Interview with David Wallach

Here is brief interview with David Wallach from the April/May Issue of Kontakt Magazine. It focuses on Jackson Street for the most part. I had never seen the model from this perspective. Notice the two mid-rise (15'ish-story) buildings south of Chase Field and east of 7th Street. I like how the development would stretch the boundaries of the DT core to the south and east. I agree with Wallach's viewpoint on providing variety of affordability levels in housing.

Forward Thinker: David Wallach
Whether described as on the cutting edge, ahead of their time or simply visionaries, our everevolving Valley hosts a few brave souls who are casting the mold that will shape the future of our burgeoning megalopolis.
Meet David Wallach, the “W” behind W Developments. Wallach, a developer from Chicago, took a chance on Phoenix and developed downtown’s first residential high-rise, The Summit at Copper Square. As The Summit’s occupancy is nearing complete, he is moving onto his second endeavor, Omega, a residential tower on the corner of 2nd Ave and Monroe. To top off
his downtown involvement, Wallach is also one of the fathers of the quietly emerging Jackson Street Entertainment District.

You are originally from Chicago. Tell me a little bit about your career there and what inspired you to move to Phoenix? After graduating law school I worked for a developer in Chicago and was fortunate to meet great people over the years, so I got exposed to a lot of wonderful developers
and bankers and lawyers in Chicago. I kind of came to Phoenix by mistake. I was coming out here to meet with a friend of mine, who was building some homes in Paradise Valley, and he invited me to come look at some properties with him. Right before I came out here for that trip, I was introduced to nother man whose building I was interested in buying. I mentioned that I was coming to Phoenix, and he said there was a downtown lot that he thought I would be interested in. And that is where The Summit at Copper Square is now.

Phoenix may be a little later in the game than other cities, but now there’s that urban focus, and it’s one of the reasons that The Summit has been so successful. How will the Jackson Street Entertainment District (JSED) change the face of the city? The one thing that is still lacking in Phoenix is the element of urbanism. Where do you go to sit in a café and have a cup of coffee or a glass of wine and exchange ideas? Where do you go to meet people? We have these huge mega-malls. This isn’t anything against them, but they are not places where people gather to talk and walk down the street and experience things. The JSED will be a place where people can go and meet, sit and congregate, listen to music…and live! One of my favorite laces in the valley is La Grande Orange. People drive and valet park their
cars to feel like they are in an urban environment. That’s what is lacking in downtown, and that’s what the JSED will provide.

What are the stages of development in starting a project such as this? How do you get it from its initial vision to becoming a living and breathing entity?The great thing about what brought this together is the collection of people with varying backgrounds. We are made up of architects and business owners and land developers. It’s kind of that collection of people that bring
this type of project forward. We got the business owners in the area onboard. Some of them are partners in the deal, and others are cheerleaders
for it. And that’s what is needed to bring something like this forward as smoothly as it has been.

This is a model for green planning. What are some examples?The buildings are all going to be designed with as many green aspects as possible. Going green is a very important part of what we are doing, and that is where
we are focusing our energy. The people and companies we are attracting, are those that are focusing on being green. Those are the people that we want in the district. We’ve got the most sunshine anywhere in the world, and
the amount of solar energy we use here is ridiculously low. Things like that are what we need to start looking at very seriously.

Tell me a little bit about the housing that will be here
among the entertainment and retail venues.
The housing will combine both high-end and attainable pricing. What makes cities work is a quilt of people. So you can’t just have $500,000 condos. That doesn’t work.
You also need teachers, you need firemen, policemen, young people getting their first place. And creating that environment is definitely part of our goals.
How do you see the light rail changing the city? The change won’t be overnight, but as time goes on, people will start using it and find it much more efficient than using their cars. With the focus on expanding ASU,
and just the influx of teachers and students and visitors to freely move between downtown and Tempe is fantastic. To be able to get from the core out to north Central Avenue like that (snaps fingers), will have a substantial
impact on local businesses. What is your vision of Phoenix 10 years from now?
Personally, I think that the city will continue to grow near the core, just like in other cities. I think we will see lowrise and mid-rise residential and real neighborhoods that are going to start being created. I think that’s what’s really exciting. People might still have to drive or take the light rail, but you are going to have more people connected. That is what makes a great city, that connection.
[Julie Lemerond, additional text by Brandy Howard; photos
by Don Crossland]

Old Posted Apr 14, 2008, 6:26 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Cool stuff, I really hope it happens.

I haven't seen that angle as well. It would be interesting to know exactly how tall those mid-rises are supposed to be, because the Summit looks way out of scale there. In that model it appears to soar way above Chase Field, in reality its only slightly taller.

I hope he's right about more mid-rise development in Phoenix. The Valley has almost zero 3-10 story urban style developments (everything in this height range is fenced off, stucco and tile, bland suburban apartment complexes) and I think if built, they'll go a long way to creating better neighborhoods and a more sustainable pattern of growth.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2008, 6:03 PM

What is the thing between US Airways and chase supposed to be? It looks like a blender.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2008, 6:08 PM

It was supposed to be the W Hotel.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2008, 6:31 PM
E pluribus unum

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
I hope he's right about more mid-rise development in Phoenix. The Valley has almost zero 3-10 story urban style developments (everything in this height range is fenced off, stucco and tile, bland suburban apartment complexes) and I think if built, they'll go a long way to creating better neighborhoods and a more sustainable pattern of growth.
Agreed. I'd rather have a dense urban environment in Downtown Phoenix than a bunch of highrises scattered about haphazardly with nothing to connect them (Midtown, anyone?). Fuck the skyline, make Downtown a place people want to be.

For reference, Washington DC's done a wonderful job in creating an urban oasis despite its height limit. You rarely see anything over four stories, but there's a hell of a lot of stuff to do.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2008, 6:52 PM
BANNED

it would be nice if they built this thing. I don't really care what it consists of as long as I get something to do.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2008, 4:01 PM

is the image gone or am I just not seeing it?

Old Posted Apr 15, 2008, 4:05 PM

I never saw it. I would like to though.....thought it was just me.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2008, 4:43 PM
BANNED

it's still there, assholes. Try waiting for your page to fully load.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2008, 4:56 PM

Well, my page loads completely and I don't see anything.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2008, 5:10 PM
BANNED

my page loads completely, or at least appears to, and then 30 seconds later the picture shows up.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2008, 7:21 PM

I had to switch to IE to see the pic. Firefox wasn't loading it for whatever reason.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2008, 10:57 PM

Does anyone know the outcome of that important city council meeting that took place on april 16th

Old Posted Apr 27, 2008, 10:10 PM

Since Jackson Street has it's own thread now, I thought I'd post some of the renderings and models, although I don't see this project happening anytime soon.

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 4:29 AM

Too bad. This is exactly what downtown needs to draw people from the burbs, unique retail and entertainment.

Maybe one day.

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 4:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxPavilion View Post
Too bad. This is exactly what downtown needs to draw people from the burbs, unique retail and entertainment.

Maybe one day.
Did I miss something?

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 6:21 AM

I know, did someone say JSED is dead or something?

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 8:36 AM

i hope not, this will be huge for DT

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 2:45 AM

Well, I know this obviously was posted in the main Phoenix development thread, but it's best to revive this thread with the excellent find lurker Matthew provided loftlovr: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=7027

http://phoenix.gov/PLANNING/Z-78-08n.pdf

Lord, I cannot contain my enthusiasm. Let's hope this all comes to fruition!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest