HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Oceanwide Center I in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • San Francisco Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
San Francisco Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Aug 2, 2020, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1977 View Post
Yeah, rushed reply. I would correct it, but that would steal the fun.
Don't ya hate spell checkers that don't even ask before they change what you right write to something you didn't intend? I staired stared hard at those photos looking for the bolts used to anchor steel columns and totally missed the actual columns.

Last edited by Pedestrian; Aug 2, 2020 at 12:33 AM.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2020, 3:15 AM

Oceanwide

Old Posted Aug 3, 2020, 10:05 PM

So is work on hold for this, or is it just slow progress due to supply-chain issues?

Old Posted Aug 3, 2020, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESysyn View Post
So is work on hold for this, or is it just slow progress due to supply-chain issues?
So far the taller Foster-designed tower is definitely not on hold (the shorter tower that was to be a Hilton Hotel is). It seems to be progrsssing fairly slowly as the existing owner tries to close the sale but if you go through the posts you'll see there's continuous progress with the pouring of the ground floor level and erection of some steel columns being the most recent evidence.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2020, 10:29 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAsam View Post
I heard somewhere that the completion of the Oceanwide project in LA is tied to the sale of the Oceanwide project in SF... has anyone else heard this? I hope it's true... it would be really nice for work to resume on the LA project.
This doesn't seem to be the case as this project is moving full steam ahead (half of it at least), whereas it seems the LA project has not been touched in over a year and a half (January 2019).

Old Posted Aug 9, 2020, 5:00 AM

Full speed ahead with this one!

Hotel:

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 11:25 PM

Old Posted Aug 13, 2020, 7:11 PM

https://swinertonwebcor.com/updates/

August 12, 2020 Update
Below are some important updates regarding the Oceanwide Center project:

The overhead protection and vehicle barrier have been removed along Ecker. Concrete chipping will be taking place on the Mission Street tower site during the daytime hours for the next few weeks. This work is necessary to remove the temporary steel piles that were placed during the construction of the below grade walls and foundation.

We will continue to work on site in the early morning hours as we pour the basement walls and floor slabs and continue to bring the project up to street level on the First Street tower. Concrete placement of suspended decks will be taking place on September 3rd, 8th, 14th, 18th and 23rd starting at 1:00 am.

Deliveries of structural steel will continue during this time. Transportation permits require that these deliveries be made between midnight at 6:30 am. We will continue to make every effort to minimize these impacts on the surrounding neighbors and we appreciate your continued support.
-----------

Good news on the Mission St tower I guess, although can't really tell what's going on. It seems they are wrapping the columns and have put some sort of top on the core. Is that for a pour? Excuse my ignorance here.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2020, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman12 View Post
https://swinertonwebcor.com/updates/

August 12, 2020 Update

We will continue to work on site in the early morning hours as we pour the basement walls and floor slabs and continue to bring the project up to street level on the First Street tower. Concrete placement of suspended decks will be taking place on September 3rd, 8th, 14th, 18th and 23rd starting at 1:00 am.
I have to confess I don't really know what this means--can someone succinctly explain about "suspended decks". I've Googled it and that didn't really help.

Quote:
Deliveries of structural steel will continue during this time. Transportation permits require that these deliveries be made between midnight at 6:30 am.
-----------

Good news on the Mission St tower I guess, although can't really tell what's going on. It seems they are wrapping the columns and have put some sort of top on the core. Is that for a pour? Excuse my ignorance here.
It certainly is good news they are delivering structural steel.

As to the Mission St. tower, I believe what they are saying--"work is necessary to remove the temporary steel piles that were placed during the construction of the below grade walls and foundation"--is that when they dug the deep foundation, as always happens, they had to put up temporary retaining walls until the actual below ground concrete walls were poured. This is normally done by pounding metal piles into the ground and placing heavy wooden beams, almost like railroad ties, between them.

You can see a small scale version of that here:

http://www.dappolonia.com/found4.htm

Now they are going to remove those piles (not sure about the wood--maybe they just leave that to rot).

Old Posted Aug 16, 2020, 10:38 PM

Not good:

Quote:
Unpaid subcontractors add to Oceanwide Center’s woes
By Laura Waxmann – Staff Reporter, San Francisco Business Times
Aug 6, 2020, 5:41pm PDT Updated Aug 7, 2020, 9:23am PDT

Unpaid work claims worth millions of dollars are the latest twist in the saga of San Francisco's troubled Oceanwide Center development.

Subcontractors hired to work on the $1.6 billion, 2 million-square-foot mixed-use project under construction in downtown San Francisco have filed close to $30 million in mechanic’s liens against the developer and general contracting joint venture since February. Liens help force payment by preventing a property's sale or refinancing until they are removed.

The largest of the claims — totaling close to $17.5 million — was filed in February by Permasteelisa North America Corp., which was hired by general contractors Swinerton and Webcor to perform work on the project’s exterior facade and cladding.

In May, Permasteelisa filed for an extension of the lien. A spokesperson for the company said Thursday it has “no comment at this time.”

Another contractor, Malcolm Drilling, in June filed a mechanics lien for $9,839,898. However, an original lien filed earlier that month totaled $18 million. It is unclear whether a partial payment was made to Malcolm Drilling or whether the first claim was filed erroneously; the company did not respond to a request for comment.

In April, Silverado Construction filed a claim for $1,766,364 plus interest. The company did not respond to a request for comment.

All three companies were hired by general contractors Swinerton and Webcor, the general contractors forming the joint venture that is building the project. Neither returned requests for comment . . . .
https://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranc...de-center.html

Old Posted Aug 17, 2020, 12:19 AM
DENNAB

Man, steel starts flying up then this...

Nearly 30 million is a lot but compared to the total price tag of the project seems like a slap on the wrist. Hopefully they're able to pay it off?

Old Posted Aug 17, 2020, 1:17 AM

I was hoping to see more pictures ...

Old Posted Aug 17, 2020, 5:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Alan View Post
Sorry haha. I was 3 blocks away today but I didn't take pics

Old Posted Aug 17, 2020, 6:00 AM
heavy user of walkability

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Alan View Post

this was the first time I had seen the steel in person - the segments are larger than the impression I had gotten from the pics

Old Posted Aug 17, 2020, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillynova View Post
Sorry haha. I was 3 blocks away today but I didn't take pics
Your pictures are some of the best, and I look forward to them, especially with all the progress lately. Thank you everyone!

Old Posted Aug 17, 2020, 8:42 PM
Build Baby Build

That is some mega steel, strong enough to hold up a 900' building during an earthquake. We have come a long way from the humble arch.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2020, 11:25 PM

Aug 18, 2020

The Mission St. building has had most of the exposed rebar boarded up - probably to protect it from the expected long period that the project will be idle for.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2020, 11:39 PM
DENNAB

Is the project stalled again due to the subcontractors issue?

I'm convinced this may never finish, there's always going to be some problem that pauses progress it seems.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2020, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Is the project stalled again due to the subcontractors issue?
We've known for a long time now that the Mission St. tower (the 636' tower) was stalled. The First St. tower (the 910' tower) remains under construction.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2020, 1:12 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
We've known for a long time now that the Mission St. tower (the 636' tower) was stalled. The First St. tower (the 910' tower) remains under construction.
I know, to clarify I was just referring to the First St. Tower

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive