HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted May 6, 2009, 2:17 AM
+

Why is LA SAGRADA FAMILIA taking so long to construct ?

While in India a few months ago I had a chance to visit the remarkable Hindu temple, Akshardham. Akshardham is an interesting temple in that it not only boasts some of the most magnificent sculptures and detailing seen anywhere, but it was also built in less than 5 years and constructed using methods that date back thousands of years. In fact, the entire temple is built without the use of steel nor concrete. Akshardham officially opened in 2005.

It was then that I pondered the construction of another temple, La Sagrada Familia in Barcelona. This church also lays claim to an outstanding level of detail and yet it has been under constuction since 1882 and is not expected to be complete until 2026.

Though both edifices are host to an impressive level of detail, how is it that Akshardham was completed in a fraction of the time compared with La Sagrada Familia?

To give readers a quick glimpse at the intricacies, here I present a few photos of each monument.

Sagrada Familia

Source: http://www.flickr.com/photos/laurapadgett/3044840024/

Source: http://www.flickr.com/photos/25767209@N02/2632575900/

Source: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tuga7/2038911306/

Source: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mark_boucher/1678892845/

Source: http://www.flickr.com/photos/carreon/3329849356/

Akshardham

Akshardham Photos Source: http://www.akshardham.com/photogallery/mandir/index.htm

Last edited by Hed Kandi; May 6, 2009 at 4:11 AM.

Old Posted May 6, 2009, 3:09 AM
I am a typical

As I understand it: Complexity and lack of funds.

Cite your photo sources of they will be removed. As per Flickr's TOS, photos must link back to their photo page. (The page where you see the title, description, comments, etc.)

Old Posted May 6, 2009, 3:34 AM
illwaukee/crooklyn

The Sagrada Familia is structurally far more sophisticated than the Akshardham. Gaudi's articulation of concrete columns and piers makes the Akshardham's engineering look like Legos. Take into account also the difference in scale, considering that the Sagrada Familia will be vaulting over hundreds of feet in the air without steel while it looks like the Akshardham is just corbelled blocks rising 50-100 ft; in fact, you could probably fit multiple Akshardhams vertically into the completed Sagrada Familia. Also to be considered is that many of Gaudi's plans for the Sagrada Familia were lost in a fire years ago and much of the new plans are conjectural. It is not at all an issue of ornamental intricacy, which is what you are comparing them with here, but rather of structural and scalar means.

Here is a diagram that shows what has been completed and what has yet to be built:

fototime.com

Old Posted May 6, 2009, 3:46 AM
BANNED

sagrada familia has no source of funding other than admission charges & donations

edit: wiki says construction was interrupted by the spanish civil war & a lot of gaudi's original plans were destroyed by anarchists (i didn't think true anarchists were/are destructive like that; i thought they'd value it as a work of art). it will also be 170m when it's done also, compared with 43m for that akshardham temple. that akshardham temple also had a workforce of 10000 people (maybe not all onsite at the same time though)

Last edited by amor de cosmos; May 6, 2009 at 4:04 AM.

Old Posted May 6, 2009, 4:12 AM
+

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
As I understand it: Complexity and lack of funds.

Cite your photo sources of they will be removed. As per Flickr's TOS, photos must link back to their photo page. (The page where you see the title, description, comments, etc.)
Done!

Old Posted May 6, 2009, 5:48 AM
The World Is Welcome Here

La Sagrada Familia ec cush u piuadefar paertemj!

Pad ed'c urca noch noli cdlosdolarrh sanbriz dwum dhi Akshardham. Urca, Gaudi ocit ticejms dwut uli mad fili samfimdeamor umt duqi demi da samcdlosd.

Plyg, Metrosexual, & AVENian

Old Posted May 6, 2009, 12:35 PM
+

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANGELD_SLC View Post

Pad ed'c urca noch noli cdlosdolarrh sanbriz dwum dhi Akshardham. Urca, Gaudi ocit ticejms dwut uli mad fili samfimdeamor umt duqi demi da samcdlosd.

In English please.

Old Posted May 7, 2009, 7:18 AM
The World Is Welcome Here

La Sagrada Familia is much more complex structurally speaking than the Akshardham. Also Gaudi used designs that are less-than conventional and haven't exactly been around for 1000's of years.

Plyg, Metrosexual, & AVENian

Old Posted May 11, 2009, 8:53 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANGELD_SLC View Post

What language is that? It doesn't look like Catalan to my eyes (and if it were, I ought to be able to spot familiar Romance cognates).

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted May 21, 2009, 12:54 AM

all i can say is that both are very beautiful!!!!!-->totally off topic.
i think size does matter in this argument. plain and simple. if the other one is much bigger than the other, then for sure itll take more time to finish the bigger building.:-)

Old Posted May 21, 2009, 1:44 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGII View Post

fototime.com
That image is quite incorrect, if you see the completed arched section on the left, that is supposed to be the size of the arched section on the "completed" diagram behind it. The four completed tall towers are not scaled correctly or the tall towers around the huge one are not scaled correctly, something is very out of whack, maybe its because we don't actually have the design or plans for this building?

Old Posted May 21, 2009, 2:14 AM
BANNED

looks fairly accurate to me. i've seen models & other drawings that looked pretty close to that one.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2009, 5:31 PM
BANNED

apparently construction begins on the 170m central tower next year

Old Posted Sep 24, 2011, 1:48 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Sagrada Familia gets final completion date – 2026 or 2028
Barcelona's intricate temple to God to be ready for centenary of architect Antoni Gaudí's death … or thereabouts

Giles Tremlett in Madrid
guardian.co.uk, Thursday 22 September 2011 18.20 BST

Barcelona's emblematic Sagrada Familia church finally has a completion date — 2026 or 2028, more than 140 years after it was started.

Joan Rigol, president of the committee charged with finishing the building by Antoni Gaudí, said it should be finished in time for the centenary for the architect's death – or, if not, two years later.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011...ompletion-date

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 3:40 PM
+

Because many of Gaudi's original works were lost, how much of the newly constructed building is actually adhering to Gaudi's original work or has it simply been improvised?

As I understand it, the Passion Facade deviates greatly from Gaudi's work. As well as much of the newly constructed pillars are made of concrete where as the original were made out of stone.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 3:57 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
What language is that? It doesn't look like Catalan to my eyes (and if it were, I ought to be able to spot familiar Romance cognates).
Looks like the improper transliteration of some language that doesn't use the roman alphabet. Aspects of it do seem somewhat Polish, somewhat eastern Romance (i.e. Moldovian), even some aspects of Gaelic. But some of the words don't even show up in Google, which is why I think it someone's phonetic attempt to communicate a language that doesn't use a roman-based alphabet.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2012, 2:12 AM
Architect

Ever deal with Contractors and project deadlines?

Nuff said...

I'M KIDDING, I'M KIDDING!!!

Old Posted Mar 18, 2012, 5:43 PM

Some of the blueprints to the Sagrada Familia were also destroyed during the Spanish Civil War during the 1930's which makes it even harder to finish the building. They have to build the building in some areas by scratch. It is very hard to respect Gaudi's plans when those plans are destroyed.

Even worse are developers that have screwed or is screwing up the building. One is the construction of the apartment buildings at the main entrance in the 1970's. There was supposed to have been an even grander entrance but when they built those buildings there the grand entrance couldn't be built. Now the high speed rail tunnel will run underneath the church which can potentially damage it especially when the trains are going to start running. So blame other people for the slow down of the construction of the church. Now you know the reason why I hate people sometimes.

Last edited by Roadcruiser1; Mar 18, 2012 at 6:27 PM.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2012, 11:33 PM
TL;DR

From what I understand, 140 years is a fairly quick completion time by European cathedral standards. What makes them so powerful is that they are not the singular vision of one man but the collective vision of a society. Hell, Chartres, Notre-Dame, etc were all built pretty much without the aid of plans on paper as we know them.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2012, 12:16 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Hell, Chartres, Notre-Dame, etc were all built pretty much without the aid of plans on paper as we know them.
you mean this place? sure, why not:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture