HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 4:09 PM
No grabbing my banana!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomrQT View Post
That would be an example of dramatic irony. The building being on fire and also named the torch could be an example of verbal irony.
Again, no it's not. Here is a list of verbal irony examples:

http://examples.yourdictionary.com/e...bal-irony.html

It would be an example of verbal irony if it were called something like "The Fireproof Building" (as Zapatan noted). In fact, the early cast iron and "cage style" buildings that preceded steel skeleton construction were actually marketed as "Fireproof Construction" because they did not use wood as a structural material. And ironically, they often collapsed in fires just as their wood-framed predecessors did.*

* These "fireproof" cast iron-supported buildings suffered from multiple flaws that contributed to their poor fire resistance. It's true that cast iron structural members did not burn like wood did, but they performed nearly as poorly as wood in fires due to the following:

- First was that the cast iron members were often built with poor tolerances and standards, especially around the bolt holes and connections.
- Second, cast iron has a tendency to expand in extreme heat.
- And third, cast iron, like masonry and concrete, is strong in compression but brittle and weak in tension.

All these factors contribute to the tendency of buildings built with so-called "fireproof construction" to collapse catastrophically under the extreme heat of fires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
It burned because of a flammable cladding material. This type of cladding has already been banned in placed like the UK and USA
Could you link me to a source that states what material was used around the tower's facade? Thanks!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture