HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerk View Post
Those brown panels is what bothers me about the Cadence. Those ugly panels will remind me and maybe would even create recurring nightmares of the current Pioneer Plaza. Some of you are against murals or wall sculptures, maybe a nice iron wrought in place of those brown panels will save the day and embarrassment, http://www.tucsonhomeloanblog.com/wp...14_1318201.jpg .

I know that some of you like the TEP building, that's fine. But my issue with the TEP is that it's too short for it's design. Standing besides it and looking up the TEP, I'd asked myself 'where's the rest of it?'. Plus the columns are too plain looking. If you are going to put a lot of glass in a building, might as well cover it at least 80-90 percent of the building. TEP has about 50 percent glass, 50 percent something else (mortar, cement etc..). Imagine the former Citigroup/Unisource (One church north?) building with 50 percent concrete...won't look good...like this http://www.deconcinimcdonald.com/offices/tucson/ (might as well get rid of the glass). Not far away from the deConcinni building at Broadway, is a new retirement home painted in pink with mostly concrete - now, that looks good. TEP building has a very confusing architecture. I think the TEP architect is either drunk/drugged or was trying too hard to make a name for him/herself.

Reason for Editing : Casitas on East Broadway , http://www.lrd-az.com/display/casitas-2/ , the pink retirement home referring above . It only cost about 5.5 million and it looks good, http://www.tofelconstruction.com/Cas...tasOnBrdwy.htm . I'm nowhere near retirement age and I wanna move at this place! , http://www.cooperthwaite.com/#/archi.../panoramic/017

We need to be critical on what buildings gets built in the Old Pueblo , otherwise we might end up with a building that looks like this --> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...lding_Pano.jpg
whats wrong with that building i agree the conrete would look better with metal paneling at the corners but i would take ANY building over nothing. i mean look at the empty twin lot, its a boarded up elevator shaft disguised by a nice collage by a community who thought it looked like crap lol. or the lot next to it which just has cars and the run down "historic" buildings that have no place in a growing urban scene.

i mean, i LIKE the pioneer now and the pima building lol *cue hate commnts* although i think the marquis at the top should be relighted, but its blue bricks add variety to the skyline. why would we want an entire skyline of sleak buildings like dubai or shanghai... it makes the skyline unique. plus as ugly as they may be it gives us something to aspire NOT to look like in our future designs.

as for cadence, they screwed up by shortening it. period, and the renderings look nice at night when people will be out and about so maybe it will look nice then with that same lighting. white might help to lighten the artificial canyon it made flanking the street on the north wall. i wish theyd stick something art deco or glass wall in just for the added variety

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 1:52 PM

^^^ Art Deco? Never thought of that. Can't go wrong with Art Deco. That could be a 'safe route' for confused architects. I'd take Art Deco over the current TEP and Cadence.

btw, With regards to the Level at Tyndall, I'd take the rendering WITHOUT the brown walls (plastered outside). It makes it look like a Chicago housing project. There's this other rendering with light color in place of those brown walls...that I like.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerk View Post
Those brown panels is what bothers me about the Cadence. Those ugly panels will remind me and maybe would even create recurring nightmares of the current Pioneer Plaza. Some of you are against murals or wall sculptures, maybe a nice iron wrought in place of those brown panels will save the day and embarrassment, http://www.tucsonhomeloanblog.com/wp...14_1318201.jpg .

I know that some of you like the TEP building, that's fine. But my issue with the TEP is that it's too short for it's design. Standing besides it and looking up the TEP, I'd asked myself 'where's the rest of it?'. Plus the columns are too plain looking. If you are going to put a lot of glass in a building, might as well cover it at least 80-90 percent of the building. TEP has about 50 percent glass, 50 percent something else (mortar, cement etc..). Imagine the former Citigroup/Unisource (One church north?) building with 50 percent concrete...won't look good...like this http://www.deconcinimcdonald.com/offices/tucson/ (might as well get rid of the glass). Not far away from the deConcinni building at Broadway, is a new retirement home painted in pink with mostly concrete - now, that looks good. TEP building has a very confusing architecture. I think the TEP architect is either drunk/drugged or was trying too hard to make a name for him/herself.

Reason for Editing : Casitas on East Broadway , http://www.lrd-az.com/display/casitas-2/ , the pink retirement home referring above . It only cost about 5.5 million and it looks good, http://www.tofelconstruction.com/Cas...tasOnBrdwy.htm . I'm nowhere near retirement age and I wanna move at this place! , http://www.cooperthwaite.com/#/archi.../panoramic/017

We need to be critical on what buildings gets built in the Old Pueblo , otherwise we might end up with a building that looks like this --> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...lding_Pano.jpg
I'm going to start off with the TEP building isnt the best. I feel it could have been better, especially with the amount of $ they probably invested into it. You can say the same about the courthouse going up on the north side of downtown. That one is very uninspired. But as for that's retirement building on broadway...that is one of the worst buildings in the city. Why don't we just design everything with that crap stereotypical southwestern garbage? I don't mean to be mean but GD that building sucks! In my opinion i'd like to see more buildings like the library on Kino around 36th. The idea of putting those fake iron balconies is a terrible idea. you have two different styles of architecture you are trying to mix there. Cadence, for all its ugliness is at least clean in line and more modern in that sense. throwing the iron "decorations" on there would make it look like a confused pile of **** even more than whats already there. I think with the correct lighting at night it could look nice like in the renderings. during the day its not going to look much worse that anything else downtown. And for the Hubs windows being randomly placed, i think it makes the building look a bit more modern and interesting. The first rendering makes the building look boring and just eh. The first rendering makes it look more like a housing project in the bronx.
Heres a link to the Quince-Douglas Library i was talking about. I would love to see more buildings like this. Or like the Phoenix central library by Will bruder. I'd take anything designed by will for our downtown.

I forgot the link to the Quince Douglas Library: http://www.richard-bauer.com/?projec...ouglas-library
Heres a link to WIll Bruders new firm: http://worksbureau.com/

I highly recommend google image searching some of the buildings Will's firms designed.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 4:25 PM

You guys can be mean to any buildings I'd like and proposed as long as you don't criticized my all time favorite high rise , Empire State Building (add the Chrysler Building , also ...Art Deco's).

I have a long list of buildings I hate in Tucson .... save it for later, I'm still in a state of shell shock with the Cadence

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthom3000 View Post
I'm going to start off with the TEP building isnt the best. I feel it could have been better, especially with the amount of $ they probably invested into it. You can say the same about the courthouse going up on the north side of downtown. That one is very uninspired. But as for that's retirement building on broadway...that is one of the worst buildings in the city. Why don't we just design everything with that crap stereotypical southwestern garbage? I don't mean to be mean but GD that building sucks! In my opinion i'd like to see more buildings like the library on Kino around 36th. The idea of putting those fake iron balconies is a terrible idea. you have two different styles of architecture you are trying to mix there. Cadence, for all its ugliness is at least clean in line and more modern in that sense. throwing the iron "decorations" on there would make it look like a confused pile of **** even more than whats already there. I think with the correct lighting at night it could look nice like in the renderings. during the day its not going to look much worse that anything else downtown. And for the Hubs windows being randomly placed, i think it makes the building look a bit more modern and interesting. The first rendering makes the building look boring and just eh. The first rendering makes it look more like a housing project in the bronx.
Heres a link to the Quince-Douglas Library i was talking about. I would love to see more buildings like this. Or like the Phoenix central library by Will bruder. I'd take anything designed by will for our downtown.

I forgot the link to the Quince Douglas Library: http://www.richard-bauer.com/?projec...ouglas-library
Heres a link to WIll Bruders new firm: http://worksbureau.com/

I highly recommend google image searching some of the buildings Will's firms designed.
You have to remember, the courthouse is a government building. While it should look nice it's main job is not to inspire or awe anyone. It is being paid for by all of us and should be kept in budget. Honestly, I don't think the renderings look that bad anyways. As for the Hub, is this the picture everyone is talking about when they say the windows are randomly placed?

I don't think the windows are randomly placed. I just think the rendering shows lights on in some windows, drapes in other windows and neither drapes nor lights on in other windows. I think the design is pretty uniform. It looks like from this second rendering that all the windows are aligned normally.

Last edited by Patrick S; Mar 15, 2013 at 5:58 AM.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 12:47 AM

New population estimates out by the Census Bureau. Pima County up to 992,394 in 2012, up from 987,573 in 2011 and 980,263 in 2010. Maricopa County up to 3,942,169 in 2012 (3,868,525 in 2011 and 3,817,117 in 2010) and Pinal County up to 387,365 in 2012 (383,553 in 2011 and 375,770 in 2010). Pima's grown by 12,131 since 2010, a 1.2% increase. Maricopa has grown by 125,052 in that time (3.3% increase) and Pinal county has grown by 11,595 in that time (3.1% increase). In all AZ grew by 161,240 in last 2 years, a 2.5% increase.

Sorry, these last 2 links may take you to the same table. I tried doing separate tables but they all have the same link.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 5:49 AM

Main Gate Square hotel proposal

More details have been published about the proposed hotel to be built in the Main Gate square area by CRBE Hotels.  The hotel is proposed to be built on the site at Tyndall Ave and Second St. which is currently a parking lot (area is highlighted on the image below).  The plan not only is for a 9 story, 150 room hotel, but for a 5 to 7 screen movie theater, two underground levels of parking and ground level retail space.  The project is awaiting a hotel partnership and a long term lease on the land.  If this building does come to fruition, the area would be one of the most densely populated areas in Tucson with 3 high rise student housing buildings being built as well as the existing Marriott.   We will certainly keep you updated on the progress or lack there of on this proposal.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick S View Post

More details have been published about the proposed hotel to be built in the Main Gate square area by CRBE Hotels.  The hotel is proposed to be built on the site at Tyndall Ave and Second St. which is currently a parking lot (area is highlighted on the image below).  The plan not only is for a 9 story, 150 room hotel, but for a 5 to 7 screen movie theater, two underground levels of parking and ground level retail space.  The project is awaiting a hotel partnership and a long term lease on the land.  If this building does come to fruition, the area would be one of the most densely populated areas in Tucson with 3 high rise student housing buildings being built as well as the existing Marriott.   We will certainly keep you updated on the progress or lack there of on this proposal.

Never heard of this site, pretty cool.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 10:39 PM

Quote:

That parcel has been begging for something for years - it's not even a good parking lot. Ever since the Marshall building went up, it's been a bit of an eyesore. Glad something is still happening...

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznate27 View Post
Never heard of this site, pretty cool.
Yeah, I came across that site looking for the pictures of the Hub I used a couple of posts earlier. It's kinda like this site. I thought it looked pretty cool - and professionally done.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 3:56 AM

I see on the city's website that the upcoming city council meeting for 3/19/13 will feature a review for a new liquor license for a Walmart Supercenter at 3435 E. Broadway, which is at El Con.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 1:43 PM

Quote:

... The plan not only is for a 9 story, 150 room hotel, but for a 5 to 7 screen movie theater, two underground levels of parking and ground level retail space.  The project is awaiting a hotel partnership and a long term lease on the land.  If this building does come to fruition, the area would be one of the most densely populated areas in Tucson with 3 high rise student housing buildings being built as well as the existing Marriott. ...
Wow! a 5 to 7 screen theater within walking distance from the UA and downtown. That's one of the most practical business decisions this city has made last few years. The other practical decision is Costco/Walmart at the Tucson Marketplace....A LOT of people actually go there every day. Hope it goes through.

Most of central Tucson is walkable especially around UA and downtown. I've walked from UA to Country Club (via Sam Hughes), to River via Campbell, to Stone via University Blvd, to I-10/6th Ave via downtown ... Build more of those 9+ floor mid-rise in those walkable areas, central Tucson will likely be the most densest in AZ.

10 nine floor buildings times 150 (rooms not condos/apts) equals 1,500 rooms . I'm sure there's at least 1,500 people out of 1 million that can afford to move in those 10 buildings from rundown cookie cutter apts/'historic houses'

Park Ave. street car route. Imagine more mid-rise buildings to the right of that photo.

Last edited by farmerk; Mar 16, 2013 at 9:13 PM. Reason: added facebook link photo

Old Posted Mar 17, 2013, 5:28 PM

It's gonna be interesting what art or sculptures will be put up along the street car route or even downtown links. This one interest me from the streetcar facebook, large head of a poet

.... or that other alien from Prometheus?

There should be two tall bronze statues of females dancing (nude, i hope) standing on a 10 foot pedestal by the 4th ave underpass by April (I think).

Last edited by farmerk; Mar 17, 2013 at 5:48 PM.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2013, 7:41 AM

Will Park Ave be closed to traffic between University Blvd. and 2nd St.?

Old Posted Mar 18, 2013, 7:25 PM
Registered Chief Weirdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirsty View Post
Will Park Ave be closed to traffic between University Blvd. and 2nd St.?
No, it will be open to traffic. It was opened back up on Friday. The streetcar will be inline with traffic. They are also putting a traffic light up at 2nd and Park which will be so much nicer than the offset three way stop that was there previously.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2013, 4:46 AM
Teacher

Tucson Marketplace

Drove by the Tucson Marketplace and it looks like they started work on the McDonald's off of Park next to the Walmart. If you look on the layout plans, it already has McDonald's.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2013, 7:14 AM
Tucsonan

Next to the new Hobby Lobby, looks like CBRE is looking to redevelop this lot which is currently a church. I've always hoped that lot would be redeveloped, especially since this Broadway/Craycroft intersection has been getting a lot of redevelopments lately.

heres pdf with more info and larger image
http://www.loopnet.com/Attachments/5...0F2E2724AF.pdf

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 2:36 AM

Developer seeks $2.5M from Rio Nuevo for Tucson hotel
LOAN WOULD BE PART OF FUNDING FOR 6-STORY DOWNTOWN STRUCTURE
Darren DaRonco Arizona Daily Star

Rio Nuevo has been asked to provide the final piece of financing necessary to pull off a $22 million downtown hotel.

The 135-room, six-story hotel would be the centerpiece of developer Scott Stiteler's ambitious plan to create a downtown entertainment district around the intersection of Fifth Avenue and Congress Street.

Stiteler, manager of Tucson Urban LLC, asked the Rio Nuevo board at Monday afternoon's meeting to kick in $2.5 million to cover the funding gap left after $15 million in conventional loans and about $5 million in private money are factored into hotel financing.

Stiteler presented the request as a $2.5 million loan at 4 percent interest. But he wants most of the money used to repay the loan to be taken from taxes that would otherwise be owed to Rio Nuevo rather than from hotel profits.

According to repayment documents, Stiteler anticipates owing Rio Nuevo $388,476 from the sales/bed tax in the first year the hotel is in operation. He wants to apply half of that amount, $194,237, toward the interest and the principal on his loan.

That repayment pattern repeats until 2024, when there will be $974,230 left on the loan. Rio Nuevo's authorization expires in 2025.

Even with tax money going toward the loan, Stiteler still anticipates Rio Nuevo will net $3.3 million over 10 years from the hotel.

Board members were receptive to the idea that would finally bring a hotel downtown, but they wanted more time to consider the legal implications, such as whether giving money to the project would violate state law.

"I think I'm ready (to move forward)," said board member Mark Irvin, who said he needed a bit more time to study the issue.

The board voted to table the issue Monday and work with Stiteler and the board legal team. The board hopes to have an answer within the next 30 days.

Stiteler turned to Rio Nuevo after he came to an impasse with the city over some federal Housing and Urban Development loans.

The city wasn't clear on how to proceed with the loans after six months of discussions with Stiteler. He said he didn't want his project bogged down for months, or possibly years, while the city debated the next steps, so he decided to stop seeking the approximately $8 million in federal loans altogether.

Stiteler is also still seeking an eight-year property tax exemption from the city.

Stiteler said there are many roadblocks involved with putting up a hotel, and developers need the general assistance. He stressed that private money would still be taking the biggest risk in the deal, and in the end Tucsonans would win out with a revitalized downtown.

Other Rio Nuevo News

Rio Nuevo Chief Financial Officer Bill Allen informed the board that the district hadn't paid its sales taxes since August 2011. The district was required to pay 2.5 percent on the taxable rent it receives from its various properties. But it failed to do so to the tune of $96,000 in back taxes. The district owes the city $77,000 and the state $19,000. Allen said the money doesn't include interest or penalties. The board voted to have Allen negotiate with the city to see if there's any way the city could waive the penalties, interest or even the back taxes.

Chairman Fletcher McCusker said that's all in the past, and now the staff and procedures are in place to prevent this sort of thing from happening again.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 3:00 AM

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 6:13 AM

Stumbled on a very cool website devoted solely to high-rise and skyscraper development news and articles in the U.S. and the world. Thought I'd share
http://highrisefacilities.com/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest