HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted May 18, 2019, 8:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post
I'm pretty sure we're looking east. That bag company building beyond the Brew 102 complex, I think I recall seeing it back in the old days when I would be departing east (homewards) from downtown on the Santa Ana Freeway. It could be that NLA has had a view like this long ago (I still consider myself a newbie). Someday some lunatic incredibly talented person who has a lot of time will make an index to NLA which would assist with this sort of situation!

Isn't the Brew 102 area where the old Aliso tree that pre-dated the founding of L.A. was located?

Yeah, of course it is east. I don't know what I was thinking...or actually not thinking.

Old Posted May 18, 2019, 8:47 AM

OK Hold Everything! I've just uncovered another Claire and Clio photograph!

The Shining, Warner Bros. 1980

Sorry, I couldn't resist

Old Posted May 18, 2019, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillinGlendaleCA View Post
That's looking east and the Aliso tree was at the Brew 102 brewery. They recently installed a marker commemorating it's location: https://homesteadmuseum.wordpress.co...e-los-angeles/.
The old Aliso has--as you might imagine--always been of the highest interest to me. Imagine my delight when the following came up years ago on eBay unidentified, and I realized what it was . . . and won it . . .

odinthor collection and http://web.csulb.edu/~odinthor/socal1a.html

Is there a better image of the old Aliso anywhere? I haven't seen one.

Old Posted May 18, 2019, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
And now, the Stanley from the Clift Hotel. The Dome Apartments are on the left, and the Stoll Apartments are on the right. This is the west end of the 2nd Street tunnel.

getty.edu
"Fremont Ave., Figueroa St., 1955 September 16" > "BH2-14 (negative 17)"

The Stoll, Winton and Stanley apartments are visible as the we pass over the 2nd st. tunnel entrance at the 5:15 mark of this old NLA favorite:

Video Link

Old Posted May 18, 2019, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

I see a sad clown walking a small dog that's pulling a cart with a stuffed animal in it. What the heck is going on with this circus lol.

Old Posted May 19, 2019, 2:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
I see a sad clown walking a small dog that's pulling a cart with a stuffed animal in it.
You're right about everything but the "small dog."

It's actually a...DUCK!

ENLARGED
Quote:
What the heck is going on with this circus lol.
It's like a poor man's Ringley Bros, badrunner.

For example: Look at the old truck tires on the chariot.

It looks like they were dug out of some junk yard. lol

I've been trying to decipher what's going on in these two slides shown below.

I'm perplexed by the pink 'phallic' thingy protruding from the Hobo clown's head.

I thought the clown in white was holding it out. . .but it doesn't look like his arm is extended in that direction.

A CLOSER LOOK.

I'm sorry, but all I see is a sex toy. ....note the french tickler.

.....WHAT KIND OF CIRCUS IS THIS ?

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 20, 2019 at 3:58 AM.

Old Posted May 19, 2019, 10:23 PM

It's a prop bird, probably intended to be a vulture or Condor, sitting on his shoulder:

If you look *really* closely, you can barely see his chin line against the black of the bird's wing.

Cheers,

Earl

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 2:06 AM

Quote:
I see a sad clown walking a small dog that's pulling a cart with a stuffed animal in it. What the heck is going on with this circus lol.
It would be absolutely fascinating to hear the life stories of the folks who traveled with this strange outfit.

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 4:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristolian View Post
It would be absolutely fascinating to hear the life stories of the folks who traveled with this strange outfit.
My wife traveled with Ringling Bros Circus for a few years in the 80's after attending Clown College in Sarasota. The Circus world is rich and fascinating, populated by very colorful characters to say the least. I can tell you the scenes in the photos are all very typical clown behavior (ask the man who married one!). It is also a very faithful and supportive community, rivaled only by an Investigation of Noirishers.

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 4:42 AM

Quote:
Scott Charles, is it possible to get rid of that glare?...
I could do it, but considering how low-resolution the photo is, coupled with the fact that Beaudry is probably buying it, I think it's best to see how the sale pans out first.

EDIT: I see that the auction has already ended. Did you win it, Beaudry? eBay doesn't give the names of the bidders.

Last edited by Scott Charles; May 20, 2019 at 5:42 AM.

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 5:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
My wife traveled with Ringling Bros Circus for a few years in the 80's after attending Clown College in Sarasota. The Circus world is rich and fascinating, populated by very colorful characters to say the least. I can tell you the scenes in the photos are all very typical clown behavior (ask the man who married one!). It is also a very faithful and supportive community, rivaled only by an Investigation of Noirishers.
There was an interesting episode of The X-Files that was set in a mobile home park in Florida that served as a retirement community for circus folk. It was well done and these photos reminded me of it.

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 5:46 AM

Quote:
Here is another snapshot from the "Claire & Clio" photograph group. [1918 - 1920]

Ebay

Unless I am seeing things...there appears to be a man straddling the hood of his car on the far right of the photograph. > > >
Just above the hood-straddling man, is that something hand-written on the photograph or is that part of the billboard?

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 6:13 AM
BANNED

Revival

The 1906 Azusa Street Revival of Los Angeles.

Video link>>>>>>

https://youtu.be/-1NHVQQw404

ARM ministries

That little house at the lower right was the beginning. Its still standing and I've been inside. Its furnished just as it was in 1906.

ARM

Seen before but this is the building that housed the meetings that went 24/7 for several years. BTW that 1906 Revival continues to this day in 2019 in other locations around the US.
ARM

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 6:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristolian View Post
That circus came to town and never left by the looks of it

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 1:26 PM

Here's another snapshot from the 'Claire & Clio' photographs. (sans Claire & Clio)

It's such an interesting photograph I couldn't NOT post it...*scratches head* .... ...did I say that right?

ebay

This is the Pac Mu facing Central Park (Pershing Square), right? ........WRONG> It's THIS building. (I was confused for a moment) Hold ON. It is the same building!.still confused...

I'm in a rush. I have to take my car in for repairs. *sad*....I'll figure this out LATER. bye

reverse

I'm not sure who the lad is, posing in the photograph. Did Claire & Clio have a brother?

Hmmmm...or maybe it only looks like he's posing. He might be walking by with the newspaper tucked under his arm.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 20, 2019 at 4:53 PM.

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 1:38 PM

It's this building, right?

.................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................I'VE ALWAYS LOVED THIS PHOTOGRAPH.

HERE

But it seems too short (length-wise) Did they add onto the back?

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 20, 2019 at 4:55 PM.

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 3:46 PM

That's the building, at the nwc of Sixth and Olive--the empty lot was at the nec of Sixth and Grand, where Pacific Mutual built a 12-story addition in 1921. The three bays were added to the back of the original 1908 building in 1913....

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 5:18 PM

Shall we go with just one more Clio sighting?

I straightened the photograph but lost a bit of the writing at the bottom.. and a small portion of the house on the left.

ebay

As you can see..Clio's on the stoop.

Here's the crooked version.

The mysterious men by the utility pole add a touch of 'noir' to the snapshot. ....(could they be kidnappers discussing Clio?)...

I'm sorry folks but that's how my brain works. ha....

...ha

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 20, 2019 at 5:32 PM.

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 7:16 PM

Quote:

It's this building, right?

HERE
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post

That's the building, at the nwc of Sixth and Olive--the empty lot was at the nec of Sixth and Grand, where Pacific Mutual built a 12-story addition in 1921. The three bays were added to the back of the original 1908 building in 1913....
Here's how the Pacific Mutual Building took over neighboring lots while Central Park became Pershing Square:

www.historicmapworks.com

www.historicmapworks.com

www.historicmapworks.com

By 1923, the Biltmore Hotel filled most of the rest of the block.

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Charles View Post
I could do it, but considering how low-resolution the photo is, coupled with the fact that Beaudry is probably buying it, I think it's best to see how the sale pans out first.

EDIT: I see that the auction has already ended. Did you win it, Beaudry? eBay doesn't give the names of the bidders.
Oh yeah, bought and paid for! I'll put up four or five of 'em once they get here in a few days.

Just ran across something I didn't know existed. I was already familiar with the three shots at Sacramento of one of my fave Deco buildings, William Richards' 1931 State Mutual Building & Loan, once wedged between Title Guarantee and Temple Auditorium. Richards, of Dodd & Richards fame, worked a lot in the Streamline vernacular after the death of William J. Dodd in 1930.

cal state library

...dig the bas-relief of these guys by Salvatore Cartaino Scarpitta, sitting around the State Mutual building, on the State Mutual building.

Anyway, not part of that set, and just stumbled upon, is this interior:

cal state library

Decoriffic, right? What really got me was the wallpaper frieze, which appears to be of modernistic "City of the Future" towers rendered in that vaguely Hugh Ferriss way delineators of the late 20s liked to...delineate.

Maybe it's not paper, but all hand-painted? Who would have done that sort of work? And I wonder if it lasted through to its 1985 demolition.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos