HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 4:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
Can't access 401 west from 402. People have to detour to Highway 4 to use that, and since the 401 is diagonal it does add a lot of time to the trip.
I do think a partial interchange would have made more sense, at least connecting Wonderland southbound to 401 westbound, 401 eastbound to Wonderland northbound, and perhaps Wonderland northbound to 401 eastbound and vice-versa. But if you're going to build all that, you might as well build a full interchange.

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 10:13 PM

To be fair they sorta did downgrade it. It will be a parclo A2, which will require Wonderland NB to 401 E & SB to 401 W to make a left across traffic. While it can be made a normal Paclo A4, why not just do the full job at once?

Look at Wonderland & 402 interchange. While it was designed as an overpass and retrofitted as an interchange, it's gonna need to be completely revamped and overhauled, especially if Wonderland continues to grow n sprawl like it has.

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Can't access 401 west from 402. People have to detour to Highway 4 to use that, and since the 401 is diagonal it does add a lot of time to the trip.
Very little traffic taking the 402 would then head west on the 401. I know that exceptions can doubtlessly be identified, but that's what they are.

I agree with GreatTallNorth2. More tax dollars spent on road infrastructure for auto traffic that does not need to exist, as opposed to real investments for the city.

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 12:30 PM
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillStreetBlues View Post
Very little traffic taking the 402 would then head west on the 401. I know that exceptions can doubtlessly be identified, but that's what they are.
I'm talking about traffic on Wonderland trying to access 401W, not 402 traffic.

A partial interchange could have worked here, but I agree you may as well build the whole thing.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted May 30, 2014, 1:24 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatTallNorth2 View Post
I was out Wonderland south the other day and was wondering why this is really needed. You can already access the 401 via the 402. I would rather see this money spent "in" the city.
My feeling as well.

Old Posted May 30, 2014, 10:28 PM
User Registered

Well,

The plan is to make Wonderland 'the way' into west London so Warncliffe / Main Street and Colonel Talbot Road in Lambeth can be re-utilized. The 4-lane roads will lose a lane on each side and be converted to on-street parking, wider sidewalks and whatnot.

So in a way this interchange will help the city more than just getting drivers on Wonderland to shave a few mins off to access 401 West. Besides, the province would not be as likely to kick in funding other projects as the 401 is a provincial road.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Jun 2, 2014, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Well,

The plan is to make Wonderland 'the way' into west London so Warncliffe / Main Street and Colonel Talbot Road in Lambeth can be re-utilized. The 4-lane roads will lose a lane on each side and be converted to on-street parking, wider sidewalks and whatnot.

So in a way this interchange will help the city more than just getting drivers on Wonderland to shave a few mins off to access 401 West. Besides, the province would not be as likely to kick in funding other projects as the 401 is a provincial road.
Right I think one of the main points to building the Wonderland interchange was Colonel Talbot Road being re-utilized as they do not want that traffic from the 401 having to coming in and out through Lambeth. As well the fact that the province is kicking in a large portion to make this happen it would be near impossible for the city to have turned it down.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2014, 4:15 PM
User Registered

Facebook page covering the 401 / Wonderland interchange by Aecon Construction

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hwy-4...91767867696103

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Jul 4, 2014, 12:13 PM
User Registered

Bye Bye Westminster Drive overpass

Once this thing is gone, the only thing standing in the way of widening the 401 to 6 lanes through London is the Highway 4 cloverleaf.

http://www.am980.ca/2014/07/04/demol...-this-weekend/

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Jul 6, 2014, 12:51 AM
User Registered

The Westminster Drive overpass a few hours before death.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Jul 6, 2014, 4:05 AM
User Registered

Stopped by tonight to try and catch a glimpse of the demolition but every road around it was closed so couldn't get close. This was the best photo I could get... excuse the bad quality (at extreme zoom)

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Jul 25, 2014, 9:38 PM
User Registered

Couple news stories from the Wonderland Road update today.

http://www.am980.ca/2014/07/25/23468/

http://news.ontario.ca/mto/en/2014/0...to-london.html

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 12:39 PM

The London Free Press article says "Aecon Construction will create four new ramps and two new bridges for easy Hwy. 401 access in south London. The project will also widen the highway to eight lanes"

Where exactly are they going to 8 lanes or is the plan to be 8 lanes from Wonderland to Veterans once these interchanges are all done/upgraded??

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 2:11 PM
User Registered

The ultimate cross-section of the 401 will be designed for 8 lanes. A bit excessive if you ask me west of the 402, but that is what it is planned to accommodate.

When all these projects are done, I am assuming the 401 will be ready for 8 laning through London, but I doubt any of that will happen as part of these contracts but I am not sure. I think the 401 will remain 4 lanes west of 402 for some time, eventually 6 towards Highway 4.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 5:44 PM

it will likely become 6 lanes past the 402 once MTO move forward with making the 401 6 lanes all the way to Windsor.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 7:02 PM

See that is what I did not understand, also it was only the LPF article that I could see referencing the 8 lane statement. I know they want it to be able to handle 8 lanes but did not think that was part of the plan at this time.

I did expect them to expand 6 lanes from the new Wonderland interchange to 402/401 connection.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2014, 8:09 PM

The press release was actually very vague.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 3:17 AM
User Registered

The new Westminster Drive overpass. Twice as wide as the old one!

I doubt we'll see 8 lanes west of the 402, but this bridge will be able to span it!

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 6:39 PM
The Vomit Bag.

wonderland with 6 lanes below the 402 and 4 (or less) above the 402? I just don't understand. Unless, of course, it is more of the usual "let's sprawl and shut down what already exists"

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 12:58 PM

Quote:
The new Westminster Drive overpass. Twice as wide as the old one!

I doubt we'll see 8 lanes west of the 402, but this bridge will be able to span it!
Drove by this yesterday, really impressive.

As well the Wonderland interchange is really coming along quickly. The north side of 401 the ramps are already formed and it looks like they are pretty far into being "under" the 401 sooner than later.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Transportation & Infrastructure