HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jul 1, 2023, 3:26 PM
Hong Kong

599. Choi Hung Estate's colourful facades have become a photogaraphy hotspot in recent years. Once surrounded by fields, the 11-tower estate was completed between 1962-4 and won an architectural award in 1965. Consisting of 8 towers rising 20 storeys with 40 flats per floor, and shorter 7-storey towers, the estate was designed to house over 43,000 residents.

More photos on my website : https://globalphotos.org/hk-droneflight.htm

Old Posted Jul 14, 2023, 1:59 AM
Hong Kong

609. The Kai Tak redevelopment continues although the area around the old terminal is taking shape. A few commercial towers are almost complete and the Japanese SOGO department store is slated to open here after closing their location in prime Tsim Sha Tsui territory.

More photos on my website : Drone Above HK Gallery

Old Posted Aug 13, 2023, 5:23 PM
Hong Kong

616. When the Kwun Tong (green) line was extended to Whampoa a few years ago, one of the biggest paybacks is to build on top of Ho Man Tin station. The residential towers are starting to take shape and will change the area's skyline tremendously.

622. A few blocks away, the Baker Circle redevelopment razed a few old dingy rowhouse blocks and there will be much taller buildings and even a pedestrian shopping street.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2023, 5:36 PM
Hong Kong

624. Following up on my last visit in February, by August, the new skyscraper public housing blocks are well-defined and seem almost ready to accept residents.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2023, 5:20 PM
Hong Kong

634. Just steps from Shatin Station and a short walk uphill is the Ten Thousand Buddhas Monastery, which was built in the 1950s and actually has some 12,800 miniature statues in the main temple, and a couple more larger ones along the uphill path.

636. The lowrise Sheung Wo Che village sits on the left side of the highway while the typical highrise suburb is on the other side with a number of public housing estates.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2023, 3:40 AM

Awesome pics. I wish I could go back to Hong Kong one day.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2023, 4:44 AM

Awesome pictures! Is it hard and/or expensive to live in the low rise neighborhoods (like the right hand side of the last picture above)

Old Posted Oct 18, 2023, 10:13 AM
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanImpact View Post
Awesome pictures! Is it hard and/or expensive to live in the low rise neighborhoods (like the right hand side of the last picture above)
Apartment towers are expensive enough. It's not common for us to live in houses here. Those village houses pictured are affordable but a legacy for the original inhabitants before suburban development came. The land rights are a bit messy so we typically don't want to buy and move into one of these areas as a newbie.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2023, 10:15 AM
Hong Kong

649. Hopewell's new hotel project is taking shape, rising as tall as its original tower that was once the city's tallest building back in the 1980s. Taking decades from plans to fruition, there was intense debate over its sheer size as the streets below are too narrow to take in the expected additional traffic.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2023, 12:24 AM
Hong Kong

672. The area around Kam Sheung Road station is expected to be surrounded by highrises in the coming years. The Grand Mayfair will occupy just west of the station with 4 16-storey towers in the first phase that will be completed towards the end of 2024. Eventually, this area will have a lot more service facilities such as shopping malls.

A lot of public housing blocks are expected on the remaining lands.

Traditional lowrise villages dominate the landscape for now.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2023, 2:39 AM
Hong Kong

687. A number of ferry companies send their vessels for repair at these facilities near Stonecutters Island, where new residentials are slowly approaching.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2023, 3:12 PM
Hong Kong

696. Cape D'Aguilar's seaviews and historic lighthouse are only an easy 4km hike away. Tucked on the southeastern end of Hong Kong Island, the shores are rocky and the surrounding seas are a protected marine reserve. The lighthouse on top of the hill opened in 1875, making it the oldest surviving lighthouse in the city. Named after the Lieutenant Govrnor and Commander of the British Forces from 1843-48, the lighthouse only operated until 1896.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2023, 8:57 AM
Hong Kong

717. Hong Kong's athletes have performed exceptionally well at the Asian Games, putting focus on the lack of proper sports facilities in the city. That might change with a new large stadium soon to complete in the Kai Tak area, although it'll take a much bigger cultural shift to cast sports as a career in a better light. After all, this is a financial services city.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 3:07 AM
Hong Kong

724. Sok Kwu Wan is a fishing village on the southeastern side of Lamma Island. Famous for its seafood restaurants that line a sheltered bay, I notice a number of fish farms in the area as well. This is a good place to have a meal after hiking from the other side of the island.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2023, 3:08 AM
Hong Kong

741. Lamma's southeastern coast is relatively serene and unexplored. While there are hiking trails through the small villages and peaks, they're not well publicized on the tourist literature.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2023, 2:43 AM
Hong Kong

756. Construction continues at the former Anderson Road Quarry, which will mostly be public housing on a platform perched above the city along the hillsides. The government is reviving a plan to bring proper heavy duty transit to the area, although they're also building a number of escalators / elevators to connect with the already-established residential areas below. It's a bit far to use this way to get to the MTR though.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2023, 3:07 AM
Hong Kong

792. Stonecutters Bridge opened in 2009 after over 5 years of construction and spans almost 1.6km across the Rambler Channel, linking Tsing Yi with Cheung Sha Wan. It offers an alternate route from the city to the airport and is held up by 2 towers rising 298m.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2023, 3:32 AM
Hong Kong

809. Construction continues above Ho Man Tin station as the property downturn continues. How much lower will prices get when these towers are finished?

Old Posted Dec 4, 2023, 3:32 AM
Hong Kong

820. Wanchai is quickly gentrifying from an old residential district into a lot of other things. The packed grid of streets used to be home to a lot of lowrise and dilapidated tenement buildings. Major change began when the "wedding card" street was demolished to make way for a luxury residential complex with a fancy street market in its place. Offices have also popped up and there are many small restaurants at street level.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2023, 3:16 PM
Hong Kong

825. Sai Kung's hiking trails are plenty and beautiful, and having the drone up in the sky makes the view a little more pretty.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos