HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Jan 23, 2016, 4:36 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

With the completion of 432 Park, NYC now is #2 in the world in supertalls. Eclipsing its rival, Hong Kong, who has 6 completed. 7 for NYC. Still a farcry 18 in Dubai, but with all of the ones u/c or starting up, the gap will close in the next couple of years, especially as Dubai isn't pumping them out like they use to.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2016, 7:46 PM

No concrete news yet but 30 Journal Square, Jersey City should be on the radar for large developments in the NYC metro area.

How tall can a ~1 million sqft office/residential/retail tower rise...

Old Posted Jan 25, 2016, 9:49 PM
don't *meddle*...

^ CIA, you're from NJ, right? Do you mind posting all the 200m+/656ft+ projects for JC here? Doesn't matter if U/C, T/O, pro, prep... . I'm really interested in what's going on "across the river". Also, I plan on including JC in the list. One just can't ignore JC's impact on the greater NY skyline.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2016, 10:22 PM

I am.

55 Hudson Street | commercial | 95 floors | ????ft | rumored
Liberty Rising | hotel | 90 floors | ???ft| proposed
99 Hudson Street | residential | 76 floors | 899ft | approved
One Journal Square (City Center Towers) II | residential | 70 floors | ???ft | approved
Journal Squared Tower III | residential | 70 floors | 742ft | approved
Urban Ready Living II | residential | 70 floors | 713ft | approved
Urban Ready Living I | residential | 69 floors | 713ft | under construction
Urban Ready Living III | residential | 65 floors | 713ft | approved
San Remo | residential | 61 floors | ???ft | proposed
One Journal Square (City Center Towers) I | residential | 57 floors | 701ft | approved
Journal Squared Tower II | residential | 60 floors | 635ft | approved

30 Journal Square Plaza | mixed-use | 50+ floors | ????ft | proposed

Old Posted Jan 25, 2016, 10:35 PM
don't *meddle*...

^ Thanks! After the next big update (likely next week), I'll create a section for JC, including already built skyscrapers.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2016, 10:37 PM

Sounds great!

Old Posted Jan 26, 2016, 12:49 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
^ Thanks! After the next big update (likely next week), I'll create a section for JC, including already built skyscrapers.
That's a good idea. About time the 6th Borough is included because its really just an extension of NYC, only with cheaper beer.

If we do a network map of NYC organization so far...

We have:

==============================
NY Supertalls

NY High <-----> JC Development Database / JERSEY CITY | Projects and Construction thread

NY Low/Mid <------> General Development Threads

Where Super talls: 600 ft or greater
Where High: 100 ft or 12 floors > = 599 ft
Where Low/Mid: 1-11 Floors or <99.99 ft
==============================

I do think for organization purposes, both Jersey City threads should be merged and the old NYC highrise thread be archived. No sense in having an outdated one on the list where the 2016 version has been covering everything from the 2014 cycle to present.

It would be cool, and maybe an admin could consider it, to have maybe a sticky or sub forum in the discussion section for just NYC city discussion. This way NYC discussion threads, covering this such as zoning, population, units, environmental issues, traffic, and so on could be discussed. And previous discussions on the topic be moved there? To better not clutter up the sub form for "discussion".

Last edited by chris08876; Jan 26, 2016 at 1:00 AM.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2016, 1:13 AM

Chris, I love that idea. It's like an annexation. Muhahaha!

It takes me 30 minutes to get to midtown or the WTC by PATH train. All this new development is in thanks to no small part to the economic engine of NYC. Decent 1 bedrooms can still be found for under a thousand around Journal Square. It's a great deal for folks priced out of Manhattan or Brooklyn but work in the city.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 1:09 PM
don't *meddle*...

220 CPS (950') updated renderings:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Final Renderings For 220 Central Park South Show Slight Design Changes

==========================
http://www.yimbynews.com/2016/01/fin...n-changes.html

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 4:19 PM
Ex Houstonian

Not the greatest design but at least it fits in with the surrounding architecture.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 4:37 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIA View Post
I am.

55 Hudson Street | commercial | 95 floors | ????ft | rumored
Liberty Rising | hotel | 90 floors | ???ft| proposed
99 Hudson Street | residential | 76 floors | 899ft | approved
One Journal Square (City Center Towers) II | residential | 70 floors | ???ft | approved
Journal Squared Tower III | residential | 70 floors | 742ft | approved
Urban Ready Living II | residential | 70 floors | 713ft | approved
Urban Ready Living I | residential | 69 floors | 713ft | under construction
Urban Ready Living III | residential | 65 floors | 713ft | approved
San Remo | residential | 61 floors | ???ft | proposed
One Journal Square (City Center Towers) I | residential | 57 floors | 701ft | approved
Journal Squared Tower II | residential | 60 floors | 635ft | approved

30 Journal Square Plaza | mixed-use | 50+ floors | ????ft | proposed
wow. Just wow. Welcome to the Hudson trench.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 10:52 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Looks like another big development in store.

Thread: http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/show...03#post7317003

Quote:
New York City Economic Development Corporation (NYCEDC) and Covenant House (CH) are seeking a developer/s to redevelop the majority of a Manhattan block with approximately 780,000 ZSF located in Hell’s Kitchen. Through this initiative, the Developer will construct a mixed-use development that addresses the City’s goal of creating economically diverse neighborhoods, supports CH’s operations through construction of a new, state-of-the art facility, and introduces a pedestrian friendly streetscape that reconnects the block to the surrounding urban fabric.

NYCEDC and CH plan to select a developer on the basis of factors stated in the RFP which include, but are not limited to: completeness and quality of overall response, program and design, financial and schedule feasibility, hiring and workforce programs, respondent qualifications and experience, and economic impact.

It is the policy of NYCEDC to comply with all federal, state and City laws and regulations which prohibit unlawful discrimination because of race, creed, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status and other protected category and to take affirmative action in working with contracting parties to ensure certified Minority and Women-owned Business Enterprises (MWBEs) share in the economic opportunities generated by NYCEDC’s projects and initiatives. Please refer to the Equal Employment and Affirmative Compliance for Non-Construction Contracts Addendum in the RFP
================================

Quote:
Inquiries
Respondents may submit questions and/or request clarifications from NYCEDC no later than 5:00pm on March 11, 2016. Questions regarding the subject matter of this RFP should be directed to HKTRFP@edc.nyc. For all questions that do not pertain to the subject matter of this RFP, please contact NYCEDC’s Contracts Hotline at (212) 312-3969. Answers to all questions will be posted by April 1, 2016, on this page.

Submission Requirements
Detailed submission guidelines and requirements are outlined in this RFP, available as of January 27, 2016. In addition to being able to download the document above, the RFP is available for in-person pick-up between 9:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, from NYCEDC, 110 William Street, 4th floor Mailroom Bid Desk, New York, NY (between Fulton & John streets). Responses are due no later than 4:00pm on May 2, 2016. Please submit six copies and 1 CD or flash drive of your proposal to:

NYCEDC, 110 William Street, 4th floor Mailroom Bid Desk, New York, NY 10038
Attention: Maryann Catalano, Senior Vice President, Contracts.

Optional Site Visit

Please find date, time and location listed below. Those who wish to attend should RSVP by email to HKTRFP@edc.nyc by 5pm on February 19, 2016
Quote:
DATE:
February 24, 2016
TIME:
10:00am
Covenant House 400 West 41 street NY NY 10036

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Not the greatest design but at least it fits in with the surrounding architecture.

I dunno, I really like it. Not a huge fan of the all-glass towers (with a few exceptions) The one at Hudson Yards is looking fab!

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
wow. Just wow. Welcome to the Hudson trench.
The Mayor of Jersey City is very pro development. And that may be an understatement. But it's time to deliver a 1000 foot tower. Imagine something crazy like 1,500 ft rising in Jersey City. It will go down in the history books.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2016, 6:39 AM

Sadly, 1 Park Lane needs to be moved to the On Hold section :/
http://therealdeal.com/2016/01/28/wi...rk-lane-hotel/

With the News Corp/Fox deal falling apart at 2 WTC, 77 Greenwich (42 Trinity Place) getting a major height cut and now 1 Park Lane being shelved for the time being, this hasn't been the best month for Manhattan supertalls.

While the Billionaires Row boom is most likely coming to an end, that's not to say the boom is over entirely. We still have a lot to look forward to in the other Manhattan neighborhoods and surrounding boroughs.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2016, 8:53 AM
Ex Houstonian

^
So I'm guessing were going to be seeing an economic meltdown soon. Whenever supertalls start to be put on hold that usually is followed by a recession or maybe even a depression...

Old Posted Jan 29, 2016, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
^
So I'm guessing were going to be seeing an economic meltdown soon. Whenever supertalls start to be put on hold that usually is followed by a recession or maybe even a depression...
With 1 Park Lane's case, I think it's more of a wait-and-see approach because there are several towers currently under construction around Billionaires Row, the high-end condo market there has become oversaturated and the Park Lane is a highly profitable hotel so why not rake in the money from that in the meantime and wait for the other developments to finish before making a move? The Park Lane is at a great location so when demand inevitably picks up again, it will be redeveloped and it will be very successful and sought after (maybe even more than 220 CPS down the street).

As we know, most proposed projects that are put on hold generally come back to life at some point in some form.

Like I said before, just because the Billionaires Row boom is winding down doesn't mean the construction boom in general is over. NoMad will be a hot place for development, downtown's momentum will probably continue as well. Hudson Yards remains another hot area and maybe Midtown East will be fully rezoned in the near future as well. Not to mention that Brooklyn, Queens and Jersey City continue to boom.

The billionaire tower trend will ultimately give way to a stronger emphasis on office construction which is greatly needed.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2016, 2:35 PM
don't *meddle*...

Alright, Jersey City is now on the list.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2016, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
Alright, Jersey City is now on the list.
Sweet!

Old Posted Jan 30, 2016, 8:31 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGuy87 View Post
Like I said before, just because the Billionaires Row boom is winding down doesn't mean the construction boom in general is over. NoMad will be a hot place for development, downtown's momentum will probably continue as well. Hudson Yards remains another hot area and maybe Midtown East will be fully rezoned in the near future as well. Not to mention that Brooklyn, Queens and Jersey City continue to boom.

The billionaire tower trend will ultimately give way to a stronger emphasis on office construction which is greatly needed.
I totally agree, although I really hope that Nordstrom and or Steinway don't tank or get shortened. NY really needs a 14 and 1500 + building to the roof to still be a major skyscraper player in the world.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture