HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted May 23, 2015, 8:18 PM

May 31st Hillside Baptist Church breaks ground on a 3 Million dollar expansion. It features a 500 seat auditorium and a lobby expansion.
I attend there so that's where the info is coming from.

Old Posted May 24, 2015, 3:11 AM

Some pictures of the expansion at Magic Mountains Amusement Park area. From what I read, they are buying a Ferris Wheel.

Old Posted May 24, 2015, 11:54 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

I see the Magnetic Hill Winery in the back of your first shot. I wonder how they will feel about their new neighbours, especially since phase two will be even further up the hill than phase one (at least that's how it appears on that initial rendering).

Having a Ferris wheel as a neighbour seems somewhat at odds with the sort of bucolic rural ambience that most wineries would tend to favour.

Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely in favour of the Magic Mountain expansion, I just wonder if there is any consideration being made for their neighbours. I'm not even thinking about anything major, perhaps just a buffer zone or some trees..........

Last edited by MonctonRad; May 24, 2015 at 1:17 PM.

Old Posted May 24, 2015, 2:28 PM

I'm glad to see some additions and expansion to the Magic Mountain tourist area! Any tourism investment in our area is a plus, this is really becoming one of the top tourist attraction in the Maritimes!

Last edited by OUIR@random; May 25, 2015 at 1:22 AM.

Old Posted May 24, 2015, 7:16 PM

I think Magic Mountain Amuzement Park will be bigger than most people think. Here are the preliminary plans for the park. It looks well laid out. These plans Viridis Design Studio LTD.

Old Posted May 25, 2015, 12:14 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Good find micks

I like this site plan you found.

It clearly shows that with this expansion, Magic Mountain will nearly double in size. Also, my concerns about the winery have been alleviated. The ferris wheel will actually not be directly behind the winery, but towards the east instead. There also appears to be a buffer of pre-existing trees between the amusement park and the adjacent residential properties.

The big rides in "phase 2" will include the wave swinger, a ferris wheel, a tilt-a-whirl and a scrambler, with room for one other ride yet to be determined. These rides will please the teenaged crowd, while the salvaged rides from Crystal Palace will appeal to the younger set. Maritime Fun Group is going to do this right, and in some ways they are replicating what they have done with Sandspit in Cavendish.

This will be a great addition to Magnetic Hill, and combined with the pre-existing water park and the continually improved Magnetic Hill Zoo, this will be pretty much the premiere family fun destination in Atlantic Canada.

Old Posted May 25, 2015, 3:06 AM

All great news about Magic Mountain! I just hope that they try to modernize by adding water slides. The park itself is quite a bit behind the times. We need those spiral slides. The ones that dump into a massive bowl that you spin around into and then drop down in a whole in the middle into a pool. Not just traditional boring slides...

Old Posted May 25, 2015, 10:30 PM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Boy View Post
All great news about Magic Mountain! I just hope that they try to modernize by adding water slides. The park itself is quite a bit behind the times. We need those spiral slides. The ones that dump into a massive bowl that you spin around into and then drop down in a whole in the middle into a pool. Not just traditional boring slides...
To be fair they have replaced most of the slides within the last decade with more modern, colorful and fun versions. That being said I think once they are done with the "non-water" side of the park it will be time to trun attention to the water side again and maybe add some new stuff there too.

Regardless this is all EXCELLENT news for tourism in Moncton and NB as a whole.

Think of the developments in tourism recently...

We were lacking in the "male centric" shops and now we have a hive of activity on that front...

- Cabelas
- Bass Pro
- Princess Auto

We lost one of our main "family" destinations, and that is being made up by:

- Magic Mountain major expansion
- Zoo refurb and expansion.

We already have the largest "female centric" shopping center for miles...

And we even have a big concert this year!

Very happy we dug ourselves out of the winter blues...lets keep the momentum (fingers crossed for Downtown!)

Old Posted May 26, 2015, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Boy View Post
I would agree. Magic Mountain water park needs some updating and new attractions. Like the Cyclone or Boomerang as pictured below.

Old Posted May 27, 2015, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUIR@random View Post
I'm glad to see some additions and expansion to the Magic Mountain tourist area! Any tourism investment in our area is a plus, this is really becoming one of the top tourist attraction in the Maritimes!
According to this story it is one of the top 10 amusement parks in Canada...

http://www.ctvnews.ca/5things/thrill...arks-1.2391948

Old Posted May 27, 2015, 8:05 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Indeed, if that list is rank ordered (and I suspect it is), then Magic Mountain is #8 in the country. Once the new expansion is complete, I imagine we will jump to #5 or #6. If you include the zoo, then Magnetic Hill would be in the top 3-4 family attractions in the country.

Old Posted May 27, 2015, 11:28 PM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Indeed, if that list is rank ordered (and I suspect it is), then Magic Mountain is #8 in the country. Once the new expansion is complete, I imagine we will jump to #5 or #6. If you include the zoo, then Magnetic Hill would be in the top 3-4 family attractions in the country.
The fact that Sandspit is listed above Magic Mounatin calls this whole list into question hahaha

Glad they used my pic from Wikipedia though

Old Posted May 28, 2015, 3:13 AM

8 of the 10 amusement parks or theme parks on this list are small regional parks, the only 2 real parks on this list; Canada's Wonderland and La Ronde. Calling any of these other parks ''thrilling'' is quite a stretch. With our low density, small population and short summer season, Canada is not a theme park destination.

Old Posted May 28, 2015, 3:32 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUIR@random View Post
8 of the 10 amusement parks or theme parks on this list are small regional parks, the only 2 real parks on this list; Canada's Wonderland and La Ronde. Calling any of these other parks ''thrilling'' is quite a stretch. With our low density, small population and short summer season, Canada is not a theme park destination.
I agree wholeheartedly. It's like the ranking of the best zoos in the country. The Magnetic Hill Zoo is legitimately ranked as the fourth best zoo in Canada, but this ignores the fact that there is an order of magnitude of difference between the top three zoos (Toronto, Calgary & Granby) and #4.

I'm still very proud of our little zoo however and am impressed at how the city upgrades the property every year.

Old Posted May 28, 2015, 4:10 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The signage for Four Points by Sheraton is being installed on the old Future Inn on Lady Ada. I might try and grab a picture on the weekend.

No more "future" in Moncton:

- Future Inn = Four Points by Sheraton
- Future Shop = Best Buy.

Old Posted May 28, 2015, 11:53 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I snapped this photo today on the way home from work:

I think the new livery looks pretty good.

Between Four Points and the Hampton Inn, the Mapleton Road district is pretty well served by higher quality hotels.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2015, 7:56 PM

Yet another commercial development on Mapleton coming!

I saw a sign next to the NBTel building (where the trail is across the park) for something called La Promenade, 28.* acres of development land.

Didn't have time to read more during rush hour... but more development is good, I guess-wish they'd finish whats there first.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2015, 1:10 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

There's something afoot at the Magnetic Hill Winery. There is a request before the June meeting of the Moncton PAC to:

Quote:
to determine if wine manufacturing is compatible to a tourism use and if a bed and breakfast is similar to compatible to a hotel, a conditional use application for more than one main building on a lot and variances for the parking lot requirements and building separation requirements
So, it would appear they are planning a separate building to be operated as a bed and breakfast.

They included the aerial photo below, showing the winery and it's relationship to surrounding properties. It's useful as it helps to show where the expansion of Magic Mountain will sit next to the winery. The existing waterslides are right behind the winery. The new amusement park will be to the southeast corner of the winery.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 3:18 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Royal Bank is apparently building a new customer contact centre in the Moncton Industrial Park (MID). They lease their current premises on St. George Blvd. The new building they will own outright. It will be built immediately behind those two office buildings on the NW corner of the Wheeler/St. George intersection. The land in question has already been cleared.

Also, there is a new lot under development in the MID West Park, on the east side of Horsman Road. I know nothing more about this at present aside from the fact that Acadian Construction will be the builder..........

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Royal Bank is apparently building a new customer contact centre in the Moncton Industrial Park (MID). They lease their current premises on St. George Blvd. The new building they will own outright. It will be built immediately behind those two office buildings on the NW corner of the Wheeler/St. George intersection. The land in question has already been cleared.
I'm hearing a 2 story building in the back of those two building with a "U" shape corridor connecting all three together.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces