HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 1:02 AM
Dartmouth Girl

Premiere Wines & Spirits will be moving out of their home on Dresden Row in the coming months into the Sobeys at North & Windsor, a similar setup to what Harvest Wines has at the Sobeys I work at on Baker Drive. They're going to be focusing a lot there on specialty beers given the demographic of the area. I've also heard that because of that, they're going to be teaming up with Propellor and are going to have a "Growler Wall." I've been chatting with some of the employees at Harvest (sister stores with Premiere), and they're doing exceptionally better business-wise than at their old location, so after a bit of study, they think that's also a good move for their sister store as well.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 1:58 AM

^That is awesome news! The Gladstone Sobeys is one the best grocery stores in town (and admittedly the one I use). It's probably the busiest one without an attached liquor store so this should drum up business.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2015, 11:58 PM

Pizza Delight on Spring Garden Rd. is closing...... to be replaced by East Side Marios., and Brewdebakers in Dartmouth is closed. FB page deleted and a sign on the door.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2015, 7:49 PM

The Pita Pit next to Starbucks at Magazine Landing is opening tomorrow.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 10:31 PM
hi

King’s Wharf to offer Italian restaurant
THE CHRONICLE HERALD
Published March 2, 2015 - 5:36pm
Last Updated March 2, 2015 - 8:20pm

Quote:
The King’s Wharf condo development will be getting an Italian restaurant by Canada Day.

The 150-seat restaurant, called Il Trullo, will be located on the ground floor of the complex’s third building, the Aqua Vista. Aqua Vista is slated to open in the spring.

The eatery, which will feature a southern Italian menu, will include a 50-seat patio with harbour views and also a bar.
http://thechronicleherald.ca/busines...ian-restaurant

Old Posted Mar 4, 2015, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenoser View Post
King’s Wharf to offer Italian restaurant
THE CHRONICLE HERALD
Published March 2, 2015 - 5:36pm
Last Updated March 2, 2015 - 8:20pm

http://thechronicleherald.ca/busines...ian-restaurant
I wonder where all the parking will be ?

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 3:04 PM

Truck-Side to be opening this spring at 600 Windmill Road, which is near Burnside in Dartmouth (next to Cheese Curds/Habeneros). The idea is to create a food-truck experience that can be operational year round, since it will be indoors. Sounds interesting...

http://www.truckside.biz/

Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Truck-Side to be opening this spring at 600 Windmill Road, which is near Burnside in Dartmouth (next to Cheese Curds/Habeneros). The idea is to create a food-truck experience that can be operational year round, since it will be indoors. Sounds interesting...

Opening Apr. 23:

Quote:

Cheese Curds
@CheeseCurdsHRM

Did you hear? Yep, #TruckSide will be opening it's 1st food truck #lilEatily 23 Apr 2015. We'll be tweeting & FB'ing live all day! #finally

Old Posted May 26, 2015, 4:11 PM

In yesterday's Globe and Mail:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...ticle24592328/

Notice no mention of fishing villages, ceilidhs, fall colour bus tours, kilts or fiddles.

I don't entirely agree with the characterization of downtown "bustling with bland overpriced restaurants"... some downtown restaurants are new and interesting, others that have been around for a long time are changing with the times. There are tourist traps though...

Old Posted May 26, 2015, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmillion View Post
I don't entirely agree with the characterization of downtown "bustling with bland overpriced restaurants"... some downtown restaurants are new and interesting, others that have been around for a long time are changing with the times. There are tourist traps though...
I thought the same thing when I read the article earlier. Places like The Wooden Monkey or The Stubborn Goat are definitely not bland, and both buy local. That said, it was nice to see a positive story about Halifax in the G&M that has nothing to do with the Irvings.

Old Posted May 29, 2015, 1:25 PM

I walked past the Cellar on Brenton the other day and noticed that it has closed (again). Signs in the window say a Chinese restaurant will be opening soon. Upstairs where the hookah bar used to be there is now a wine bar/ restaurant.

Old Posted May 30, 2015, 6:10 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmillion View Post
In yesterday's Globe and Mail:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...ticle24592328/

Notice no mention of fishing villages, ceilidhs, fall colour bus tours, kilts or fiddles.
Well, not exactly, but the URL includes "foodie-revolution-meets-small-town-charm-in-nova-scotia", and this is one of the first bits of the article:

Quote:
Aesthetically, it’s like a Montreal bistro with the ambiance of a backyard party in rural Nova Scotia
Part of this has to do with the Globe and Mail and Toronto though. We must always be reminded of the pecking order and of the fact that Halifax seems really small to Torontonians because, well, that's just what happens when you get used to living in a big, important city with 2.5 subway lines and a former mayor who got on American TV.

Old Posted May 30, 2015, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Well, not exactly, but the URL includes "foodie-revolution-meets-small-town-charm-in-nova-scotia", and this is one of the first bits of the article:

Part of this has to do with the Globe and Mail and Toronto though. We must always be reminded of the pecking order and of the fact that Halifax seems really small to Torontonians because, well, that's just what happens when you get used to living in a big, important city with 2.5 subway lines and a former mayor who got on American TV.
Don't forget the suburban subway-to-nowhere their new mayor insists on pouring five billion dollars into.

Anyway, I noticed that too--Edna doesn't at all feel like "rural backyard party." It has the rustic-chic vibe of of restaurants that's in style from coast to coast. Half the new restaurants in Toronto are going for the same feel.

What's funny is that it actually was written by a local freelancer. People take their own stereotypes to heart, maybe.

(Still, that aside, I though it captures the new and rapid turnover in the dining scene pretty well.)

Old Posted May 30, 2015, 5:29 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
What's funny is that it actually was written by a local freelancer. People take their own stereotypes to heart, maybe.
I don't know much about freelance journalists and the editing process. It feels like the English-language national media, based mostly in Toronto, tends to rely heavily on the same condescending tropes over and over. The Maritimes are rural and struggling to catch up. It is acceptable to admire Quebec culturally but it is an economic basketcase with an oversized sense of entitlement and definitely not a rival of Ontario in any way. Alberta is full of hicks. BC is full of hippies; again, not to be taken seriously. Saskatchewan and Manitoba are nothing but giant farms and potash mines and the North is a place we should all feel bad about.

I like to watch French-language Canadian shows sometimes too and, while they tend to be extremely Quebec-centric, the attitude toward the rest of Canada is not as condescending. I have also noticed that articles about smaller parts of Canada from the US or UK media do not have the same tone. This suggests to me that the tone of the Toronto-based media isn't an unavoidable consequence of the larger/smaller city dynamic.

When you step back and think about restaurants in particular, it's not clear why we should be so focused on whether they're in big cities or little cities. The best-ranked restaurants in the world lately have been in small towns or cities in Spain, Copenhagen, etc. The biggest cities don't in any way have a monopoly on the best food in the world.

Quote:
(Still, that aside, I though it captures the new and rapid turnover in the dining scene pretty well.)
I'm pretty impressed with the new restaurants in Halifax. It was not a very good food town back in the 90's, although it always had a few natural advantages. Today the quality of the better places is surprisingly high and the variety stacks up pretty well against much larger cities. It also seems like people are willing to try out foods they would not have in the past, and that it's much easier for restaurants with non-standard menus to survive. I also like the fact that the trend toward locally- or regionally-sourced ingredients has caught on there because the Maritimes are blessed with a pretty solid assortment of regional food products. Not many regions have the equivalent of an Annapolis Valley plus good seafood in close proximity.

Last edited by someone123; May 30, 2015 at 5:45 PM.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2015, 12:19 AM

Old Posted Jun 4, 2015, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedWilliamsHead View Post
Well, well; within staggering distance.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2015, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
Well, well; within staggering distance.
Great! Another excuse to visit the old 'hood!

From the Herald:
http://thechronicleherald.ca/busines...ter-this-month

Old Posted Jun 5, 2015, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post

This place is unreal, it's like a mini Epcot Center with better food. Defiantly a must try.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2015, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
This place is unreal, it's like a mini Epcot Center with better food. Defiantly a must try.
By chance I went there for lunch today, couldn't believe how busy it was. Definitely recommended.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2015, 9:06 PM

I guess I'll have to go in and see it. It sounded unbelievably hokey and contrived when first announced with phony "food trucks" to disguise what is really just a food court operation. I am not a fan of much of Pratt's food offerings either - most seem overdone and well over the top. But it has gotten good reviews so it is worth checking into.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment