HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Apr 25, 2015, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnEh View Post
I also see they've marked off space for the cart corrals in the parking lot.

Anybody know the square footage of the current Sobeys store?
The current East Sobeys is 43536.
The current West Sobeys is 47000.
North - Not sure.

So 12,129 sf larger than the current East location.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2015, 12:53 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
If that's for the Costco Gas Bar, that's going to be a traffic nightmare. Between the elevation and the volume they usually do (at least they do here in Freddy), that looks like a very awkward/bad spot for it. But maybe they can work out some directional flow to make it work.
Yep, not to mention residents in that area have, in the past, voiced concerns over past developments (in my memory the expansion of an auto dealership?). Traffic aside, that area doesn't look large enough for Costco Gas Bars that I have seen in other locations. Also, flooding in that area...?

Old Posted Apr 26, 2015, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Yep, not to mention residents in that area have, in the past, voiced concerns over past developments (in my memory the expansion of an auto dealership?). Traffic aside, that area doesn't look large enough for Costco Gas Bars that I have seen in other locations. Also, flooding in that area...?
Yes, they had a meltdown when King Mazda expanded their parking lot into the empty lot next to theirs.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2015, 5:32 PM

I see that Montana's Restaurant is listed as Kelsey's on that site plan as well.

I know they're both owned by Cara Operations but could this perhaps point to a rebranding of that location?

Old Posted Apr 26, 2015, 5:56 PM

Something will also need to be done with the Ashburn / Rothesay Ave / Retail Dr. mess. That 'intersection' is bad enough on a normal day.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2015, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magee_b View Post
Something will also need to be done with the Ashburn / Rothesay Ave / Retail Dr. mess. That 'intersection' is bad enough on a normal day.
Not to mention the flooding in that area. Wonder how they'll deal with that.

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 2:44 AM

Old Harvey's Restaurant

The old Rothesay Ave., location for Harvey's is being renovated. Anyone have any ideas as to what is going in there?

Old Harvey's Refurbishment by I'm Me, Who are You?, on Flickr

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 2:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolkenkratzerliebhab View Post
The old Rothesay Ave., location for Harvey's is being renovated. Anyone have any ideas as to what is going in there?

Old Harvey's Refurbishment by I'm Me, Who are You?, on Flickr
Dentist Office.

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_d40 View Post
Dentist Office.
Danke! I was hoping for more, but at least it won't become an empty and vacant eyesore.

I was wondering also, if City Hall moves out of it's present location, what will happen to the building? I sincerely doubt if the present owners could ever rent that much space out in this economy. The city should just buy the bloody thing before the owners cut their loss by having it demolished to save on property taxes. I don't know who else would buy it, other than the Irving's. It's loss would be a shame!

Old Posted May 25, 2015, 3:24 AM

Say...I just thought of this.

Given the recent activity with East Point, which seems to be them levelling the remaining parts of the site that haven't been smoothed out yet, do you all here think that there might be a larger retail relocation about to happen within the next year?

I mean, with Target now gone from McAllister Place, it's looking like, maybe, that mall isn't so glamorous to it's current vendors, and that some retailers at Parkway Mall might be tiring with having to deal with their landlord, Tidan, and may want to move up the hill, where they don't have to deal with the sinking land anymore.

Does any of this make sense to any of you here?

Old Posted May 27, 2015, 1:34 PM

The new retail location that Northrop has up his sleeve is "Birdland" trailer park off Rothesay Ave. I believe we are a long way from that happening as the economy is struggling.
The action at the top of the hill is a new sobeys and liquor store.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2015, 5:05 PM
Any where but Fredericton

A friend of mind just posted on facebook saying East Side Marios in SJ is closed forever

Old Posted Jun 16, 2015, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trev71 View Post
A friend of mind just posted on facebook saying East Side Marios in SJ is closed forever
Yes, heard the same but foever is a long time! Hopefully the franchise will restructure and reopen at some point. I beleive the owner also owned the location in Halifax too.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2015, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownJeff View Post
Yes, heard the same but foever is a long time! Hopefully the franchise will restructure and reopen at some point. I beleive the owner also owned the location in Halifax too.

Yes forever does sound bad, But I am just going by what my friend said on FB. Yeah hopefully a new owner will take it over.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2015, 6:34 PM

As far as that owner is concerned, it probably is forever; and for the employees it's effectively forever (anyone coming in would start from scratch basically, staffing wise at least).

Still Saint John is a big enough market that I don't see the chain leaving it fallow for too long if anyone has any interest in it.

Maybe the Freddy or Moncton owners will look to expand down there or something.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2015, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
As far as that owner is concerned, it probably is forever; and for the employees it's effectively forever (anyone coming in would start from scratch basically, staffing wise at least).

Still Saint John is a big enough market that I don't see the chain leaving it fallow for too long if anyone has any interest in it.

Maybe the Freddy or Moncton owners will look to expand down there or something.

I guess some of the employees cheques bounced, again according to my friends FB post. I guess that can not be a good thing

Old Posted Jun 16, 2015, 9:06 PM

Perhaps D.P. Murphy from PEI could run it too. They have a presence in Saint John as owners of the Holiday Inn Express.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2015, 10:16 AM

I don't think it's a reflection of Saint John economy rather changing tastes of Canadians. A quick google search shows other recent closures - Dartmouth, Sydney, Brockville and other Ontario location, Vernon, BC and another BC location. Right there that's a 10% franchise failure rate for the chain so I think it's a restaurant struggling to survive.
Would love to see Panera Bread or Chipotle open up east - people are shifting to healthier / fresher options when they eat out.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2015, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnguys View Post
I don't think it's a reflection of Saint John economy rather changing tastes of Canadians. A quick google search shows other recent closures - Dartmouth, Sydney, Brockville and other Ontario location, Vernon, BC and another BC location. Right there that's a 10% franchise failure rate for the chain so I think it's a restaurant struggling to survive.
Would love to see Panera Bread or Chipotle open up east - people are shifting to healthier / fresher options when they eat out.

I agree you see them all over Maine when I was there, Both Panera Bread & Chipotle are really good. Even an Olive Garden would do really well in SJ I am sure

Old Posted Jun 17, 2015, 1:04 PM

East Side Marios is gone.
Not surprised at all. The ownership was not very good at all.
I am actually happy they are gone!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces