HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 2:55 PM
not a NIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan83 View Post
I don’t know how practical outdoor ping pong tables would be. Wind and ping pong balls are not a good mix. You'd have to find a way to completely block the wind.
Wind makes it a different game than the indoor version.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 4:35 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
Wind makes it a different game than the indoor version.
No doubt. I know they have them in other places, so I assume they've found a way to make it work at least reasonably well.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 1:17 AM

Public art panels are about to be added to the 5th Street Underpass. The panels look intriguing although some of the panels aren't exactly my cup of tea when it comes to art (but I'm sure for others they will be... part of the beauty of public art). What I'm curious about is whether or not there is a component of this project that includes enhancements to the lighting in the underpass or improvements to any other parts of the public realm (such as the sidewalk or sightlines)?? Without key improvements in those other areas, I'm afraid this project will simply be putting lipstick on a pig....

Here's the Herald story although it's very light on details (read none)

Quote:
Public art features Albertans' work along S.W. underpass
Calgary Herald, Sept 23 2014
http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/ca...848/story.html

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 1:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outoftheice View Post
Public art panels are about to be added to the 5th Street Underpass. The panels look intriguing although some of the panels aren't exactly my cup of tea when it comes to art (but I'm sure for others they will be... part of the beauty of public art). What I'm curious about is whether or not there is a component of this project that includes enhancements to the lighting in the underpass or improvements to any other parts of the public realm (such as the sidewalk or sightlines)?? Without key improvements in those other areas, I'm afraid this project will simply be putting lipstick on a pig....

I was thinking the same thing. You could hang the Mona Lisa in there, and it wouldn't change the dingy feel. Art in conjunction with lighting, however, would be another story. Honestly, developing the Place 10 lot and other lots is going to make the biggest difference, especially because Place 10 takes away a block of retaining wall.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 1:35 AM
power to the people!

Quote:
Originally Posted by outoftheice View Post

They were already installed on the east wall when I went under there on Friday. It's just a bunch of panels tacked on the wall. While it's nice that it can showcase artists, it looks like an afterthought at best.

On that note, what is going on with these subway improvements? I remember seeing renderings of the 1 St W subway a while back but have heard of or seen anything happening. Is funding an issue?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 2:06 AM

Any word on the start date for the 8th st underpass project? THAT is a dump.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 2:46 AM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyLucky View Post
I was thinking the same thing. You could hang the Mona Lisa in there, and it wouldn't change the dingy feel. Art in conjunction with lighting, however, would be another story. Honestly, developing the Place 10 lot and other lots is going to make the biggest difference, especially because Place 10 takes away a block of retaining wall.
IMO 5th is the least dingy of older ones (excluding 4th SE), it has the widest sidewalks by far and seems to get light in fairly far.

I hope they get started on 1st and 8th, though I think some one mentioned on here that they ran into issues with the railroad agreeing to the plans.

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 2:55 AM
BANNED

Those art panels will add a nice touch to that underpass.

I agree that 1st and 8th st underpasses need to get started ASAP. Not sure what the delays are about?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 3:00 AM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
Those art panels will add a nice touch to that underpass.

I agree that 1st and 8th st underpasses need to get started ASAP. Not sure what the delays are about?
No doubt the railroad decided to have their say, as they normally do.

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 3:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Mountain View Post
IMO 5th is the least dingy of older ones (excluding 4th SE), it has the widest sidewalks by far and seems to get light in fairly far.

I hope they get started on 1st and 8th, though I think some one mentioned on here that they ran into issues with the railroad agreeing to the plans.
Totally. Still, how hard/expensive could it be to install flood lighting?

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 7:13 PM
BANNED

Lots of large commercial complexes have been doing big plaza/interior mall renos lately, adds to the appeal of the city centre.

5th Avenue place and Suncor plaza re-developments in particular look huge.

Was impressed with the quality of finshings in most of the mini-malls on the northern side of the CBD and Eau-Claire walking through today. Looks like lots of them have been upgraded as well as now have better retail tenants in place.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 7:22 PM
ARTchitecture

They are not doing anything different in the redevelopment of the plazas at Fifth Avenue Place or Suncor Energy Centre. The only reason they are doing them is because the water-tight membranes under the plazas have reached the end of their life cycle and need to be replaced. In the case of Suncor, the granite also needed to be replaced. The only difference I have noticed so far is that the new planters at Suncor have a few coniferous trees in the mix, while they used to be all deciduous.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 5:18 AM
not a NIMBY

anonymous benches

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 5:03 PM
not a NIMBY

Follow the Bench Project on Twitter @benchprojectyyc

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 9:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
They are not doing anything different in the redevelopment of the plazas at Fifth Avenue Place or Suncor Energy Centre. The only reason they are doing them is because the water-tight membranes under the plazas have reached the end of their life cycle and need to be replaced. In the case of Suncor, the granite also needed to be replaced. The only difference I have noticed so far is that the new planters at Suncor have a few coniferous trees in the mix, while they used to be all deciduous.
Suncor has recently added a few big garden areas with bunch of new tress and plants on the SW, NW, and I believe NE plazas (not talking about the big stepped garden which they redid)

Fifth avenue plaza used to bare bones and flat. They've completely rebuilt the plaza and now building massive planters everywhere. Whole plaza going to be covered in trees and plants. Some renders inside by the food court which they are currently redeveloping as well.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 10:10 PM

^ I think they're also removing the big fountains in front of Fifth Avenue Place as well

Old Posted Oct 5, 2014, 8:57 AM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Suncor has recently added a few big garden areas with bunch of new tress and plants on the SW, NW, and I believe NE plazas (not talking about the big stepped garden which they redid)

Fifth avenue plaza used to bare bones and flat. They've completely rebuilt the plaza and now building massive planters everywhere. Whole plaza going to be covered in trees and plants. Some renders inside by the food court which they are currently redeveloping as well.
There are no trees on the east side plaza of Suncor at all, and the Southwest and Northwest plazas already had the tree'd areas long before the redevelopment began. As I said, the only change to the garden areas is new species of plants, no actual structural changes have been made.

That is great that Fifth Ave Place is seeing actual improvement though.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2014, 5:20 PM
BANNED

The NW and SW new landscaped garden areas - did a drive by earlier, unless my memory's clouded, there's no way they had that level of landscaping before, think just a couple old trees here and there.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2014, 6:14 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
The NW and SW new landscaped garden areas - did a drive by earlier, unless my memory's clouded, there's no way they had that level of landscaping before, think just a couple old trees here and there.
No, they had gardens with trees in them, along with tulips, other flowers and small shrubs. The garden areas are the exact same size as they were before, as they made absolutely no structural changes. The only thing that will be different next year is that the gardens will be tended to, as they didn't tend to them this year because they were going to be dug up anyways. As I said, the only reason they are redoing Suncor plaza is to redo the watertight membrane and restore the granite. I have worked there every single week day for the past two years, so I have seen the development of this project from its beginning.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 12:14 AM
Crunchin' the numbers.

The bike pilot project on Stephen Avenue has an online survey up; about a dozen questions or so mostly focusing on safety issues. Survey runs through October 31: http://www.calgary.ca/Transportation...t-Project.aspx

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues