HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 17, 2014, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
The Hearst Tower wasn't built on top of the existing building.

The facade was just used.
I wasn't implying that the tower would actually be built floating on top of a heritage building,, both buildings require piles within the facade to support the new structure. Unlike the UofM new residence that was built on top of an existing building that require super long and massive engineered beams allowing the tower to be supported on piles outside the existing building.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
new angle of the Pump House... really coming around on this project. the design is growing on me.

from http://sotirioscorp.com

Old Posted Feb 8, 2014, 1:16 AM
Transit Nerd

If only the NIMBY's would shut their suburban mouthes... this building would be a GREAT addition to Winnipegs City Centre. And a great way to preserve the pumphouse too!

Old Posted Feb 8, 2014, 1:22 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

I think the people that are against this are living right nearby. People from the suburbs couldn't give a shit about this project.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2014, 2:03 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
I think the people that are against this are living right nearby. People from the suburbs couldn't give a shit about this project.
Me and my family live in the suburbs. We give more than a shit about this project. I have many suburban friends who also give more than a shit about this project as well.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2014, 3:57 AM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
If only the NIMBY's would shut their suburban mouthes... this building would be a GREAT addition to Winnipegs City Centre. And a great way to preserve the pumphouse too!
Didn't this project get approved by the city,despite the opposition?

Either way, people's opinions, regardless of where they live will have little effect on whether or not this thing goes forward. It will all come down to dollars and cents.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2014, 6:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDSunny View Post
Me and my family live in the suburbs. We give more than a shit about this project. I have many suburban friends who also give more than a shit about this project as well.
I think his point was that it's not suburban Nimby's that are opposed to this project, like Armorand alluded to.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2014, 2:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
I think his point was that it's not suburban Nimby's that are opposed to this project, like Armorand alluded to.
Perhaps, but my point is that there are many of us "suburbanites" that care about downtown developments, and that his previous statement is inaccurate in its portrayal of how many of us think.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2014, 6:08 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDSunny View Post
Perhaps, but my point is that there are many of us "suburbanites" that care about downtown developments, and that his previous statement is inaccurate in its portrayal of how many of us think.
Sorry for that. I meant to say as BD did, suburbanites are less likely to be opposed to this project, especially the growing number that are concerned with downtown. I did put that poorly!

Old Posted Feb 8, 2014, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Didn't this project get approved by the city,despite the opposition?

Either way, people's opinions, regardless of where they live will have little effect on whether or not this thing goes forward. It will all come down to dollars and cents.

Exactly.

I think majority of us on here hope the project goes through

I certainly do

But whether it will or not is an entirely different matter

Old Posted Feb 9, 2014, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Sounds to me like a local architect opposed to the project called the Free Press with some sour grapes trying to make something about nothing.
"Pestrak said the MAA will formally notify Kotoulas he cannot practice as an architect without being licensed, adding he could be subject to prosecution and face a $10,000 fine if he continues or the association could get an injunction from the courts stopping him from working on the project"

Looks like a professional society that is making something about nothing. It does not sound like he has claimed to be a licensed architect and trying to go to court to stop him from being involved in the project is a bit excessive.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2014, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
"Pestrak said the MAA will formally notify Kotoulas he cannot practice as an architect without being licensed, adding he could be subject to prosecution and face a $10,000 fine if he continues or the association could get an injunction from the courts stopping him from working on the project"

Looks like a professional society that is making something about nothing. It does not sound like he has claimed to be a licensed architect and trying to go to court to stop him from being involved in the project is a bit excessive.
MAA is just an Old Boys Club full of a bunch of jealous cry babies.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2014, 3:19 AM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Architect View Post
MAA is just an Old Boys Club full of a bunch of jealous cry babies.
I work with the current President of the MAA and a past president, and based on these two Architects, I can confirm that your statement is categorically false.

The beef that the MAA has with this proposal is that (regardless of what the City requires for it's variances and bylaws), the MAA requires the involvement of a registered Architect throughout the planning process, including renders, for projects where an Architect is necessary (i.e. Part 3 buildings).

I agree that up to this point, the fact this hasn't happened in this particular case, isn't necessarily a big deal, but the rules are the rules. Especially with a high profile project like this.

If anything, the fact the people involved in this project weren't aware of the requirement for a qualified Architect, or simply didn't care, says more about their level of experience in development and building a large scale project like this, and also how much any of us should get our hopes up for actually seeing this thing built.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2014, 1:31 AM

I would assume that by now developers must be aware of the uphill battle it seems to be to develope anything of significance in the province. And now this?! I suppose there are rules and regulations as far as architects go, but why make a big deal? They should be pleased with any developement, even if it wasn't designed by one of their own. Do they.not realize that they rely on things actually getting built?

Old Posted Feb 11, 2014, 4:39 AM
the first stamp is free

^ yes, we should absolutely not care when large multi-storey projects are developed without qualified professionals...

I think a lot of people here have their skyscraper blinders on with this project.

Let this project proceed based on its on merits. Not because we all want another 20+ storey building around.

So far for this project we have:
- community opposition, based partially on questionable initial community meetings
- plans developed without accredited professionals
- a ridiculously low budget for what is being proposed

to me, this all points to a developer who is proposing a project that is far too complex for their abilities - I think these guys are in way over their heads.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2014, 1:56 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
I think these guys are in way over their heads.
Agreed 100%.

There is really no need to get too worried about these guys building ANYTHING on that property.

I hate to say it, but the pumphouse will be a vacant building until they drop the ridiculous "historic value" of the pumping equipment.

Don't get me wrong, keep one of the bigger pumps for a display somewhere, but there is no need to keep the entire floor intact.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2014, 3:55 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
Agreed 100%.

There is really no need to get too worried about these guys building ANYTHING on that property.

I hate to say it, but the pumphouse will be a vacant building until they drop the ridiculous "historic value" of the pumping equipment.

Don't get me wrong, keep one of the bigger pumps for a display somewhere, but there is no need to keep the entire floor intact.
Really? The first of its kind and pretty much intact. And you say ridiculous value? Come on now. If this province let alone country would see what they have here the entire place should be restored and a museum. Only one in the World!!!! This can never be replaced.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2014, 6:50 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
Really? The first of its kind and pretty much intact. And you say ridiculous value? Come on now. If this province let alone country would see what they have here the entire place should be restored and a museum. Only one in the World!!!! This can never be replaced.
Is it really necessary to have a museum that no one would go to?

Sure it might be technically interesting to a few P.Eng nerds, but really, does every "first-of-its-kind" thing need a museum dedicated to it?

Pull some of the equipment out and put it in the Manitoba museum. Make it a display for people to see. The entire property does not need to be preserved.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 12:55 AM

I have to agree with hotwired. Remove this "one of a kind " machinery and put it on display somewhere. The problem with that however is that with gone, there will be no use for the building.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 8:33 PM
BANNED

there's an interview with Sotirios Kotoulas from Feb 21 here:

http://smartcareersdotnet.wordpress....-developments/

Quote:
The 24-storey building planned for the historic James Avenue Pumping Station was designed by Sotirios along with a team of 10 other designers, engineers, consultants, and architects. It’s a mixed-use space, he describes, that includes a grocery store, a public space he calls the “machine” garden, a restaurant, rental units, and condos.
Quote:
The team is also working with residents to bring much-needed amenities to the neighbourhood, such as a grocery store and more parking.

There have also been questions about Sotirios’ credentials, since he isn’t a licensed architect yet. The team has a lead, licensed architect, he says, who reviews and oversees the entire design process, including Sotirios’ designs. The licensed architect is also insured and liable for the project.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan