HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 21, 2014, 4:34 PM

How dare people post on a discussion board when they aren't even property owners! My goodness, we even let them vote!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2014, 4:41 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Actually there are more than just a few guys in here who have never seen a property tax bill! (You can tell)
Ya, if they had they wouldn't be asking their city to build so many interchanges because they would know we are already taxed to death.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2014, 4:44 PM

Why is it a big deal if some here aren't homeowners? You can be damn sure that renters are paying for property taxes, even if the bill from the City doesn't arrive with their name on it.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2014, 4:49 PM

No, we already know the City can't afford interchanges. But one can still dream. Just like dreaming of dense, high rise developments for downtown.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2014, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveosnyder View Post
Ya, if they had they wouldn't be asking their city to build so many interchanges because they would know we are already taxed to death.
The roads we're talking about are provincial responsibility, anyway. And believe me, if there was enough money, the province would be building them left and right. Especially this government. The only thing they know how to do is deploy money into infrastructure to create 'good jobs' and 'steady growth' - their two favorite buzz terms.

When digging ditches and forming curbs became 'good jobs' must've happened when I was sleeping. Because I remember growing up and being forced into university with the logic that these were terrible jobs my immigrant grandfather did because it was the only job. Now our governments are convinced this is the only thing left our economy is capable of producing.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 1:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
No, we already know the City can't afford interchanges. But one can still dream. Just like dreaming of dense, high rise developments for downtown.
You can have one or the other. We've tried to do both, and it can't work. You can't subsidize transportation, and expect density to increase.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 7:46 PM

With two serious accidents on the east Perimeter in the last week - one at Garvin road and another one today at Dugald - when is the current government, or the way things are shaping up, the PC party, going to get some testicular fortitude and turn the Perimeter into a properly functioning "interstate" highway? It's an absolute embarrassment. We need the government to seriously consider cutting off access to the mile roads and build some interchanges. I know it's probably not going to happen anytime soon, but it seems to get worse and worse every week.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 9:41 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by northern_hoser View Post
With two serious accidents on the east Perimeter in the last week - one at Garvin road and another one today at Dugald - when is the current government, or the way things are shaping up, the PC party, going to get some testicular fortitude and turn the Perimeter into a properly functioning "interstate" highway? It's an absolute embarrassment. We need the government to seriously consider cutting off access to the mile roads and build some interchanges. I know it's probably not going to happen anytime soon, but it seems to get worse and worse every week.
If recent plans that are going to council are any indication, you will more than likely find that the Perimeter will be getting more (and wider) intersections... It looks like Gunn Road east of Redonda is going to be widened to accommodate the development of the land bordered by what is now the border of transcona, the perimeter, gunn and redondo.

http://www.winnipeg.ca/CLKDMIS/ViewD...pd/2015/a14063

EDIT: I should also add not to forget that we currently have road allowance for Dakota to connect too. Yay!

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 10:10 PM

Apparently Dakota is supposed to be a flyover only to the south side, If development ever goes ahead there.

I could see lights going up at Gunn within the next 5 years if that development goes ahead. As Simplicty mentioned in another thread, housing market is in a state of flux currently. With an abundance of new homes coming onto market. With the Transcona West developments in full swing, maybe there isn't room on the market for another smattering of new homes in T-cones.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2015, 2:51 PM

Why improve the road when you can lower the limit to 80?

Old Posted Feb 2, 2015, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Garvin never intersect with the Perimeter. That does raise an interesting question though, when the new Oak Bank access road (Chief Peagus extension) goes in will Garvin lose left turn access to 59 with the traffic instead being directed to the new road via 207?

The short answer is the near term plans are all focused on the south Perimeter between McGillvary and 59. Those plans cover most of the next five years. After that it would seem to be a coin toss between HWY 6 and Gunn Rd on where the next interchange will be built. Gunn Rd is likely to be the point CPT crosses the Perimeter and continues on as a four lane road to 206 in part of divert traffic from 213 and 15.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2015, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Garvin never intersect with the Perimeter. That does raise an interesting question though, when the new Oak Bank access road (Chief Peagus extension) goes in will Garvin lose left turn access to 59 with the traffic instead being directed to the new road via 207?

The short answer is the near term plans are all focused on the south Perimeter between McGillvary and 59. Those plans cover most of the next five years. After that it would seem to be a coin toss between HWY 6 and Gunn Rd on where the next interchange will be built. Gunn Rd is likely to be the point CPT crosses the Perimeter and continues on as a four lane road to 206 in part of divert traffic from 213 and 15.
Sorry, meant to say Gunn Road (my excuse was it was Friday). My post was turning a little rant-ish after hearing about the second crash. I'm travelling more and more on the Perimeter it seems to be getting closer to a free for all with the drag race like starts at every stop light. It's a tough job as a parent to explain the wreckage left after an accident to my girls.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 4:19 AM

Quote:
Sorry, meant to say Gunn Road (my excuse was it was Friday). My post was turning a little rant-ish after hearing about the second crash. I'm travelling more and more on the Perimeter it seems to be getting closer to a free for all with the drag race like starts at every stop light. It's a tough job as a parent to explain the wreckage left after an accident to my girls.
I don't think it matters how many crashes occur or even fatalaties. That road will never be fully transformed into a freeway. The city will choose to deal with dangerous intersections the same way they do inside the city and thats install traffic light/stop signs. For every interchange that gets built, I estimate two controlled intersections will get installed. The money simply isn't there and will never be untill the city shrinks and densifies instead of sprawling.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 4:33 AM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowghost View Post
I don't think it matters how many crashes occur or even fatalaties. That road will never be fully transformed into a freeway. The city will choose to deal with dangerous intersections the same way they do inside the city and thats install traffic light/stop signs.
It has nothing to do with the City of Winnipeg.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 4:21 PM

Gunn Rd and the Perimeter is definitely high of the list of dangerous intersections in the City. In terms of upgrades there it is likely tied up in the whole east-west corridor feet dragging that has gone on for 20+ years.

We are finally starting to see some movement on that front with CentrePort Canada Way (CCW) and its new overpass open. Ultimately the grand vision is you can start on the new, four lane east-west corridor coming off a full interchange with HWY 1 near St Francis Xavier.

You would then travel along what is often called the Headingley by-pass crossing the Perimeter at the CCW interchange. Near route 90 CCW and Chief Peagus Trail (CPT) would connect and appear to be the same roadway. CPT would then continue on past Lag and out the Perimeter near the current Gunn Rd location and would actually replace that intersection with a full interchange. The corridor would then cross the Perimeter and continue on to 206 (highway between Oak Bank and Duglad) effectively acting as a replacement for HWY 15. Based on traffic patterns the new corridor would likely then continue east turning towards the south and meet up with HWY 15 someplace east of Dugald.

The vision of this new east-west corridor of course is full grade separated intersections the entire length of the road. Considering CCW recently opened with two traffic lights and an at-grade rail crossing and the new section of CPT includes three sets of traffic lights I wouldn't hold out hope for those grade separated intersections. Portions of this corridor have been on the books almost as long as the completion of the Perimeter and Lag interchange for perspective.

In terms of the Perimeter itself, even once all the intersections are either closed or grade separated significant retrofits will be needed on virtually every one of the current grade separated intersections. For example, west bound Wilkes sees merging traffic to north on the Perimeter exit a hairpin turn and effectively drop immediately into a high speed lane with no acceleration lane. Henderson traffic entering the westbound Perimeter stream has a similar issue. For an example of what we should have look at the recently opened CCW interchange.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 10:01 PM

Like this.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 10:03 PM

Not sure if that Oakbank corridor is actually on MIT list. Or its just something the capital region association thinks is good.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 11:51 PM

Does the province own the land to build CPT to Oakbank?

Why wouldn't they just build the CPT to the Perimeter and then upgrade 15 to Dugald to 2 lanes each way separated?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 11:55 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Like this.

I'm showing that to my roomate tomorrow, it will make his commute a whole lot easier if it ever happens.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2015, 1:07 AM

I don't think anyone owns any land for the Oakbank thing. And where I show it is an educated guess in where it would go. I guess the problem with dugald is the track and all the buildings right beside it. But I'm not sure if mit or anyone has on official official position on any plans.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan