HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 3:36 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Sobey's is looking very carefully at closing that store for that very reason.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 3:53 PM

Right on, thanks for the info. I guess the key part there is delivering the person to the cops. So you cant just hold them for an indefinite period just because.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Sobey's is looking very carefully at closing that store for that very reason.
If it happens, that would certainly make a new No Frills on Notre Dame a more enticing proposition.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 4:21 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Haha, not bloody likely. Loblaws just abandoned that store, why would they open it again?

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Haha, not bloody likely. Loblaws just abandoned that store, why would they open it again?
Uh, because it's what they've been doing across the country? I thought you were a frequent visitor to Toronto... haven't you noted the Zehrs, Mr Grocer and other stores that closed for a while before reopening as a No Frills?

The media here has speculated about this happening from the get-go and it hasn't let up. To my knowledge Loblaws hasn't sold the sites.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 6:31 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Don't try and compare this with the Toronto market. This store was closed because of huge theft losses. There is no business case to open it as anything else, unless losing money is the objective.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Don't try and compare this with the Toronto market. This store was closed because of huge theft losses. There is no business case to open it as anything else, unless losing money is the objective.
It's not just Toronto, it's happening across Canada.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 8:07 PM

Loblaws closed the company owned and operated Extra Foods on Notre Dame and Main St (at Inkster). They continue to own both sites and have them currently listed on their own site as franchise opportunities under the No Frills banner. If an acceptable operator does come forward Loblaws is no longer directly exposed to the risk of inventory losses those sites may incur.

I would not be surprised to see Sobey's look at a similar model of the Sargent Ave Safeway.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 9:07 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Loblaws closed the company owned and operated Extra Foods on Notre Dame and Main St (at Inkster). They continue to own both sites and have them currently listed on their own site as franchise opportunities under the No Frills banner. If an acceptable operator does come forward Loblaws is no longer directly exposed to the risk of inventory losses those sites may incur.
Ah yes. What a terrific opportunity for a local business to lose a ton of money, very quickly!

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Ah yes. What a terrific opportunity for a local business to lose a ton of money, very quickly!
I'm not surprised that no one is stepping up right now, but the economics would change quickly if the only major competitor in the area were to shut down.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2014, 2:09 AM

Well Virgin Mobile has Open New Location Next To Bentley at Polo Park Shopping Centre

Old Posted Nov 10, 2014, 2:12 PM
Ignore these four words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
Had to post this with so much talk about PP..It's changed a wee bit..

Way back when...

Bill Hillman - http://www.hillmanweb.com/brandon/42.html
Holy Crap! A blast from the past! Flashbacks of my dad taking me there to buy dress shoes for church.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2014, 5:37 PM

Interestingly, the posting for the No Frills store on Main St is no longer up. Does that mean someone has secured the location?

Also interesting, after sitting vacant for some time, last week they were working on painting the exterior of the Notre Dame Extra Foods location. Not sure if that means much though as the listing online have been renewed.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2014, 5:51 AM

Good News!
It looks like the Bargain Store by the MTS Centre is closing down.
Hopefully they replace it with a restaurant or sports bar or SHED related.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2014, 6:05 AM
BANNED

Quote:
You guys are forgetting something else, it's hard to compete with "free" which exists in the core of the city.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor204 View Post
Good News!
Or we could get another empty storefront next to MTS Center for years to come.

I am sure the rent in that location is quite high due to its location. I would not be surprised that Bargain store had a long term lease that came up and they did not like the terms of the renewal.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Or we could get another empty storefront next to MTS Center for years to come.

I am sure the rent in that location is quite high due to its location. I would not be surprised that Bargain store had a long term lease that came up and they did not like the terms of the renewal.
I have a feeling you're likely right on that last point. But in all likelihood the only type of operation that could sustain any sort of inflated (for downtown Winnipeg) lease rates for being across the street from the MTS Centre entrance would be yet another boring chain restaurant of the Moxies/Milestones/Earls ilk. Hopefully it'll be something more interesting than that.

I know a lot of people hate the Bagain Store's prominence on Portage Avenue, but it is quite a useful store for anyone living or working downtown. It really does feel like time travel in there, though... it's like the 70s never left.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2014, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I have a feeling you're likely right on that last point. But in all likelihood the only type of operation that could sustain any sort of inflated (for downtown Winnipeg) lease rates for being across the street from the MTS Centre entrance would be yet another boring chain restaurant of the Moxies/Milestones/Earls ilk. Hopefully it'll be something more interesting than that.

I know a lot of people hate the Bagain Store's prominence on Portage Avenue, but it is quite a useful store for anyone living or working downtown. It really does feel like time travel in there, though... it's like the 70s never left.
Considering there's a Dollorama across the street, a giant Tiger a block away, and a dollar store in Portage place a few blocks away, I think it's clientelle won't have to go far to find somewhere else to shop.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2014, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor204 View Post
Good News!
Sadly, I saw a zoning notice at that location within the last year seeking approval to run a pawn shop. I am pretty sure it was discussed on these forums too.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2014, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Indeed. Everyone wants a grocery store downtown but at the same time seem to cheer the removal of all the stores that sell grocery items.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan