HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jun 23, 2008, 12:29 AM
Reliable Source

Old Posted Jun 23, 2008, 12:50 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiorenza View Post
Obama supporters refer to McCain as an "Old Man". That's an ageist, divisive slur, but nobody calls them on it.
Fiorenza, you know why we call him "Old Man"??? Because he is an old f'en man!!! Drrrrrrrrrr.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2008, 12:58 AM
Man of Many Statistics

Edit

NO More Political Discussion In This Thread. Reserve This Space For Atlanta Related Material Only.

TAKE IT HERE
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=153139

Last edited by dante2308; Jun 23, 2008 at 1:09 AM.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2008, 8:47 PM

The number of millionaire households in Atlanta grew 30.7 percent to 83,035 in 2007 -- the biggest jump among the top 26 U.S. cities, according to market research firm Claritas.

The report defines millionaire households as those with financial wealth of $1 million or more, excluding primary residence and consumables.

Atlanta Business Chronicle

Old Posted Jun 25, 2008, 1:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
The number of millionaire households in Atlanta grew 30.7 percent to 83,035 in 2007 -- the biggest jump among the top 26 U.S. cities, according to market research firm Claritas.

The report defines millionaire households as those with financial wealth of $1 million or more, excluding primary residence and consumables.

Yes. I was quite excited to read that and I was thinking that I need to meet some of these people.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2008, 3:50 AM

this is a bit off topic... but i'm back in atlanta after 3 years. also off topic, but absolutely crazy not to share - a fellow forumer on here is actually one of my brother's roommates over in avondale estates, and one who i actually corresponded with back half a year ago. f'in small world!

Old Posted Jun 29, 2008, 4:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post

This is just one of those pointless statistics.. means nothing.

Seriously, give me a break... nobody who's "rich" has a desire to live in Atlanta. Most people who get rich in Atlanta move out to big land tracts in the country.. they don't stay in this cesspool of scumbags and dilapidated infrastructure.

Last edited by civilexpert; Jun 29, 2008 at 5:46 AM.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2008, 6:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by civilexpert View Post

Seriously, give me a break... nobody who's "rich" has a desire to live in Atlanta. Most people who get rich in Atlanta move out to big land tracts in the country.. they don't stay in this cesspool of scumbags and dilapidated infrastructure.
no offense, but why must you always come off insulting? you'd get a lot further keeping a civil tone and backing up whatever you say with reason or sources. there are plenty of cities out that are far worse off when it comes to matters of infrastructure, government, etc.

you might find it pointless, but it's a valid statistic.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2008, 1:53 PM
Urban Explorer

Quote:

Really? Have you ever been to Buckhead? How about Northside Drive, Peachtree Battle, Paces Ferry, or Riverside Drive? You can't live in some of these desirable areas without being a millionaire....and a lot of the houses have been continuously occupied for a hundred years.

The statistic is anything but pointless, because it shows that the number of wealthy people in this region is growing faster than anywhere else, reflecting positively on the number and types of jobs Atlanta is attracting, the economy of the city, and its ability to continue to attract people from other areas, even in "down" times. Atlanta is also very attractive to a lot of rich people because the cost of doing business here is so low compared to many other big cities.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2008, 4:12 PM

Quote:

Civilexpert, you must not know Atlanta very well, perhaps a new migrant to Atlanta?

Ansley Park.....right off Peachtree in Midtown. Try finding a house under $2.00 million. Do you need a real estate agent to pull comparables to show that MOST expensive homes are inside the perimeter compared to the cookie-cutter suburbia? The price per square foot is MUCH higher in Buckhead, Midtown and even downtown for any comparable homes! Take a drive in Ansley Park, down Paces Ferry, Northside, Mount Vernon , Vinings and all connected side streets.

Those that live outside the perimeter, whether middle-class, well-to-do, or wealthy simply want to sacrifice quality of life to having a bigger house and a bunch of grass to cut. (Attached is Lake Meer, in Piedmont Park, which is my backyard, which I never have to cut a shrub or blade of grass! )

My former business partner, who is a strip shopping center developer, choses to live on Lake Windward, but as a recent divorcee, has to drive to Buckhead and Midtown for his dates! Its almost comical, but he is a single dad and doesnt want his son to suddenly change schools, even though Pace Acadamy, Westminter and Atlanta International School would be far better then the schools in North Fulton. Even though his net worth in the 8 digits, he didnt think it would be "worth it" to pay so much extra per square foot. (His home is 7500 square feet for two people and three people when his daughter visits from college!!)

(The photo of Piedmont Park was taken by me, AtlMidtowner, from my condo in Midtown)
American since 1-20-2009"

Old Posted Jun 29, 2008, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlMidtowner View Post

(The photo of Piedmont Park was taken by me, AtlMidtowner, from my condo in Midtown)
Great picture, AtlMidtowner. I've never seen this angle before... with the enormous size of the trees, it almost makes the lake look like a little pond.

Oh, and Civilexpert.... not sure why I waited so long, but *plonk*

Old Posted Jul 1, 2008, 2:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiorenza View Post
The Atlanta area is getting darker. Quite a few whites have moved out of the area entirely. This will have political and economic ramifications, not just for Atlanta but for the South overall.
Here's a very interesting follow up to the ARC demographic statistics.

Atlanta and the Urban Future

Quote:
There is really only one way to put it: Atlanta is becoming whiter, and at a pace that outstrips the rest of the nation. The white share of the city's population, says Brookings Institution demographer William Frey, grew faster between 2000 and 2006 than that of any other U.S. city. It increased from 31 percent in 2000 to 35 percent in 2006, a numeric gain of 26,000, more than double the increase between 1990 and 2000. The trend seems to be gathering strength with each passing year. Only Washington, D.C., saw a comparable increase in white population share during those years, although several other big cities are starting to see it now.

This development is occurring at the same time that race and ethnicity are driving changes every bit as fundamental in Atlanta's suburbs. For if the city itself is growing whiter, the Atlanta region is growing less white. The Atlanta Regional Commission reports that in 2000, the white, non-Hispanic population of the 20-county Atlanta metro region formed 60 percent of the total population; by 2006, that had shrunk to 54 percent, not so much because whites were leaving — although four counties did see absolute declines in white numbers — but because of the arrival in the suburbs of African Americans, Hispanics, Asians, Africans and Caribbeans. Of the 10 counties in the nation with the largest declines in white percentage of the population from 2000 to 2006, six are in the suburbs of Atlanta.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2008, 4:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlMidtowner View Post
Its almost comical, but he is a single dad and doesnt want his son to suddenly change schools, even though Pace Acadamy, Westminter and Atlanta International School would be far better then the schools in North Fulton. )
while i am also an ITP guy, i would point out that there are some outstanding public schools in North Fulton/Cobb, every bit as good as AIS or Westminster.

eg Walton is always considered one of the top High Schools in the country and suffers nothing in comparison to Westminster. few parents would take their kids out of Walton, Milton, Northview or any of these HSs in that area.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2008, 4:57 PM
Apathetic...and Loving It

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLaffinity View Post
while i am also an ITP guy, i would point out that there are some outstanding public schools in North Fulton/Cobb, every bit as good as AIS or Westminster.

eg Walton is always considered one of the top High Schools in the country and suffers nothing in comparison to Westminster. few parents would take their kids out of Walton, Milton, Northview or any of these HSs in that area.
As a Walton alum (class of 2005), I can tell you it is an outstanding school academically, and is highly desired by families moving into East Cobb County. The best part is that my parents' neighborhood where I grew up is less than 1/2 mile from Walton and has very (relatively) affordable homes (250-300K), which is a plus.

Enough cheese from here...

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabino86 View Post
As a Walton alum (class of 2005), I can tell you it is an outstanding school academically, and is highly desired by families moving into East Cobb County. The best part is that my parents' neighborhood where I grew up is less than 1/2 mile from Walton and has very (relatively) affordable homes (250-300K), which is a plus.

Enough cheese from here...
I think my niece is Walton class of 2006!

Just for comparisons. SAT scores on the verbal and math. Walton was 10th for the entire state for public schools, not bad, but the private intown schools way out perform. Of course in my opinion, you can most accurately predict a child's performance in school by testing the PARENTS, not the school.

Walton 1142
Lasiter 1104
Milton 1099
Pope 1098

Westminister 1380

My friend from Alpharetta, who is Iranian, took his daughter to many universities around the country. Even though she is "Iranian-American," she didnt want to go to Stanford or Berkeley because there were "too many oriental Asians and the white people at Stanford and Berkeley look funny." In my opionion, that is what happens when you bring up a child in such culturally segregated areas/schools as East Cobb and North Fulton. These suburbanite kids honestly simply are not aware of the real world in the city and state, much less of the world as a whole.

If money is not an issue, I would send a child to the Atlanta International School, luckily my child has the IQ of a dog. I just have to spend lots on his fluffy white hairdo and it makes him happy just to run in the grass of Piedmont Park!
American since 1-20-2009"

Last edited by AtlMidtowner; Jul 2, 2008 at 2:53 PM.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 2:50 PM

Andrea, thanks for sharing the Urban Future article. It was a great read. I also found the ARC site and it had some interesting information about the future of Atlanta too. I even downloaded two of the podcasts for my train ride to work this morning. It's a little reassuring that people do have a plan for all the newcomers moving into the city.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 3:08 PM
Reliable Source

If present trends continue, the section of intown Atlanta north of I-20 and east of I-75 will be a little island of majority whites surrounded by a sea of black and brown population. Is this a good outcome? I'm just asking...

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 3:37 PM

Look at the percentage of whites in other cities like Austin (57%), LA (33%), Dallas (53%), Houston (43%), DC (51%), Chicago (56%), etc.... They are all the same or lower than Atlanta and I don't hear them complaining. This is how it's going to be for urban cities. I am a white male and really see this as a good thing b/c maybe it will force us to realize we are all just humans.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 3:43 PM

Atlanta is supposedly going to have a white voting majority within the next 8-10 years which has been brought up in the media as saying it could change the political landscape radically.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 3:43 PM
Reliable Source

Quote:
maybe it will force us to realize we are all just humans.
Yeah, but it will impact the educational, economic and health statistics.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta